• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

:lol:

:gossip: They were always board projects, and the "buzz" over the penguins has been going around for YEARS. They aren't new, although I think you know that. And the "glad they didn't listen to you" line was a bit of hyperbole, although I think you knew that too.

As far as selling my stuff? I had to. I didn't want to. I didn't take a vacation and buy booze with the money. I paid off bills with it so I could maintain having a roof over my head.

I cried when I actually sold those things. The only one I didn't feel bad about letting go was the Shadowpenguin, because I gave that one away to a boardie over there.

Thanks for thinking the worst about me without knowing the facts though. Total class!

:)

-slym

If you look at all the arguments I've made on the VF boards regarding projects, none of them were directed at you. And what difference does the use of cash have justifying the selling? I sold my away at cost, could have easily taken profit (and it wouldn't have gone toward booze or any other form of discretionary spending).

:lol:

:gossip: They were always board projects, and the "buzz" over the penguins has been going around for YEARS. They aren't new, although I think you know that. And the "glad they didn't listen to you" line was a bit of hyperbole, although I think you knew that too.

As far as selling my stuff? I had to. I didn't want to. I didn't take a vacation and buy booze with the money. I paid off bills with it so I could maintain having a roof over my head.

I cried when I actually sold those things. The only one I didn't feel bad about letting go was the Shadowpenguin, because I gave that one away to a boardie over there.

Thanks for thinking the worst about me without knowing the facts though. Total class!

:)

If you look at all the arguments I've made on the VF boards regarding projects, none of them were directed at you. And what difference does the use of cash have justifying the selling? I sold my away at cost, could have easily taken profit (and it wouldn't have gone toward booze or any other form of discretionary spending).

So, I should have let myself gone homeless and have these cool penguins (without a home) or maybe find another collector who loves them (not some unknown from eBay) buy them and then, I don't know, I have a life for at least another month or so?

The "discretionary spending" as you call it wasn't booze or the like. I was literally keeping a roof over my head. If that isn't a "difference'' that matters, I don't know what else to say to you.

I am glad you are able to sell your things at cost. I would have given mine away (and in one instance I noted above, I did just that) if I was affluent enough. IDK what that has to do with this.

:shrug:

-slym

I like 'em. (The penguins) What exactly are they, though?

Sean Chen Valiant penguins

“The penguins are sculpted and painted by Sean Chen.

“The Valiant penguins he made special for us over at the Valiantfans website. They are limited to about 40 pieces each. Sean Chen also sculpted and painted the Full size Solar statues, Red (36 copies), Black (10 copies) & unpainted (4 or 5 copies).”

:baiting:;)

-slym

I prefer others to do the work for me. More grapes, please. :)

I really think people buying MoS 17 really don't understand the difference between a cameo and a full appearance. Or the buyers are flipping and they are new into the hobby or they are just greedy dumb card collectors.

Or - and this may be a shocker for ya - they just want anything to do with the Death of Superman storyline, from lead-ins to actual full appearances.

:o:o:o

Not to beat a dead horse here, but are you saying they are paying higher price for a cameo because they want to complete their collection repeatedly?

I understand your argument, but it should have been going one for awhile right? Not just the last few weeks/months yes?

The large number of sales here including one of mine just baffle me.

I really think people buying MoS 17 really don't understand the difference between a cameo and a full appearance. Or the buyers are flipping and they are new into the hobby or they are just greedy dumb card collectors.

Or - and this may be a shocker for ya - they just want anything to do with the Death of Superman storyline, from lead-ins to actual full appearances.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but are you saying they are paying higher price for a cameo because they want to complete their collection repeatedly?

I understand your argument, but it should have been going one for awhile right? Not just the last few weeks/months yes?

People do know the difference between a cameo and a full appearance. Comic collectors aren't that stupid and do you actually think people are spending their money blindly? The MOS 17 is harder to find than the 18 which in turn makes it much more desirable. Hence the premium being paid. Do you know the difference between supply and demand?

People do know the difference between a cameo and a full appearance. Comic collectors aren't that stupid and do you actually think people are spending their money blindly? The MOS 17 is harder to find than the 18 which in turn makes it much more desirable. Hence the premium being paid. Do you know the difference between supply and demand?

Yes. And yes, we all do. MOS #17 is no harder to find than any other issue in the title. :sumo:

Yes. And yes, we all do. MOS #17 is no harder to find than any other issue in the title. :sumo:

In the entirety of the world? Perhaps not. But it is harder to find on ebay, and by that I mean that at any given time there are likely to be significantly fewer copies of 17 for sale than there are copies of 18.

Also if you check Superman lots as opposed to individual listings, for whatever reason many of the assorted Superman and/or MoS lots from that time period will include issue 18 but not 17.

wow, prices have gone up on some of these slabbed 9.8's lately. just a year or so ago could have sworn they were selling for $100-$150.

X-men 221

New Mutants 87

X-Factor 24

must be the Apocalypse buzz associated with X-Factor 6!

Its great to see the 'other' bronze X books start to catch up with GSX1 and X-men 94 such as X-men 101 and X-men 129, both of which are tough as nails to find in 9.8 !

Thank you for answering that much nicer then I would have.

In the entirety of the world? Perhaps not. But it is harder to find on ebay, and by that I mean that at any given time there are likely to be significantly fewer copies of 17 for sale than there are copies of 18.

Also if you check Superman lots as opposed to individual listings, for whatever reason many of the assorted Superman and/or MoS lots from that time period will include issue 18 but not 17.

I have noticed that before. I'm assuming because of the "death of Superman" storyline, the production numbers may have been raised (though not high enough when a book has five printings).

Anyone have the production run numbers to share?

I can't provide you with numbers but I can provide my experience from collecting during that time.

Everybody knew a big story was starting with MoS 18, I'm sure retailers ordered accordingly, but the cameo books completely took people by surprise. When people finally caught on to who it was in those cameos shots, those books quickly disappeared, with MoS 17 being the one highly sought after. It immediately jumped to be $15-$20 book. I can't give you the numbers, but you could find tons of MoS 18's but MoS 17's were very hard to come by. IMO MoS 17 from the very start has always been the more valuable book.

I know we like to place rules on these types of things but I think each case is unique. In this case, the cameo is harder to find. Plus MoS 18 isn't really much of a first appearance. He's hidden in a suit the entire issue. If you were to show the average person who knew what Doomsday looks like, but knew nothing about comics, the cover to MoS 18 they'd say... "That's not Doomsday!"

So call the issues whatever you like but at the end of day I think 17 is and always will be the more valuable of the two, though 18 will close the gap some. There is room for both to be worth owning. It doesn't have to be a war of one against the other. :)

Edited by lightninglad

I have Diamond sales rankings but no print run numbers:

September 1992 MoS 17 was #97 on their sales chart. All Superman titles were low. Adventures didn't even make top 100.

October 1992 MoS 18 moves up to #77.

November 1992 MoS 19 jumps way up to #19

It's not quite as big of a difference between 17 and 18 as I would of thought, but def shows 17 was a lower print run. I also wonder if more newsstand copies of 18 survived. MoS 17's may have been pulled by the time people caught on to the whole Superman's being killed thing.

I have Diamond sales rankings but no print run numbers:

September 1992 MoS 17 was #97 on their sales chart. All Superman titles were low. Adventures didn't even make top 100.

October 1992 MoS 18 moves up to #77.

November 1992 MoS 19 jumps way up to #19

It's not quite as big of a difference between 17 and 18 as I would of thought, but def shows 17 was a lower print run. I also wonder if more newsstand copies of 18 survived. MoS 17's may have been pulled by the time people caught on to the whole Superman's being killed thing.

Even with the lower print numbers, according to FastballSpecial and the Diva. They are pretty easy to come by, if so, I'll buy every single copy NM/MT of MOS 17 these 2 lovebirds can find for $10 each. NO BS!

Prove it, sell me 20 copies if they are so easy to find.

And if he backs out, I'll take them

One of my favorite "under the radar" books to buy.

I'm quite sure that there are many of us here sitting on more than 20 copies of M.O.S. #17. lol

Every collection I've bought has had at least one copy of that issue, but there are usually multiples in those collections.

I'm quite sure that there are many of us here sitting on more than 20 copies of M.O.S. #17. lol

Every collection I've bought has had at least one copy of that issue, but there are usually multiples in those collections.

Well I got plenty of money here ready and willing to Paypal anyone who can come up with multiple copies of MOS 17 since they are so "common"

Now I know where they all went. You hoarders!

emoticon_ShiftyEyes.gif

Would that really prove anything? Even if a book is not rare, I would not sell it for less than the market price. If 9.8's are selling for $250 I'd have mine graded and go that route rather than prove a point on a comic message board (shrug)