• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

People paying that for a 9.8 when low grade copies are available for a buck are completely insane.

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

What's your point? Please give me an example of someone paying 1-400 times the going rate of an item outside of collecting comics, only because it's in very high grade?

Again...Huh?

Coins, Sports cards, cars, toys....nearly the ENTIRE universe of collecting literally anything. Unless you collect damaged things on purpose. That would be pretty fun.

So you can't provide a direct example, of something that sells for 400-800 times it's value in high grade in one of these fields?

Which one is the typo? The 1-400x or the 400-800x? Because that's a largggggge difference. 1-400 is so ridiculous you're being obtuse on purpose asking for specific examples. the 400-800x? No idea and don't really care to go searching. 800x might be specific to comics...you might be right but that wasn't the first thing you asked.

The larger point is buy what you want? I would NEVER pay those prices for a 9.8 of that but i'm also not totally shocked someone would.

People spend hundreds of dollars on a hamburger...why not some random, 2nd print comic from the 90s?

How am I being obtuse? Captain Crunch's book selling for $400-800 when NM ungraded copies are available (unsold) for $1 is being exact. I asked if you could give me a direct example, and you couldn't.

800x is easy.

There are lots of pennies that sell for $8 graded.

That's 800x buying the original. lol

Who invited you to this challenge? :makepoint:

Alright Greg, fair enough. But want if we eliminate the low dollar sales, where $8 is a relatively insignificant amount of money. What about $100+?

Edited by spreads

People paying that for a 9.8 when low grade copies are available for a buck are completely insane.

For decades, people have been paying handsomely for the highest available graded comics. That's not surprising at all.

People paying that much for Wolvie 41 2nd print would seem ill advised but who knows what the future holds. (shrug)

Ill-advised? How about it's stupid! Paying big money for a very common book, or a book that might not be that common but simply doesn't have any graded issues in 9.8, is reckless. If you want to spend money on those items for a collection, then by all means it's your money....you be prepared to take the risk on the loss if you sell. How many copies could it take to bring that Wolvie down to $100 in 9.8? 5, 10? It probably wouldn't even take 10, and that guy that paid $800 will be facing a huge loss if he/she decides to sell.

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

What's your point? Please give me an example of someone paying 1-400 times the going rate of an item outside of collecting comics, only because it's in very high grade?

Again...Huh?

Coins, Sports cards, cars, toys....nearly the ENTIRE universe of collecting literally anything. Unless you collect damaged things on purpose. That would be pretty fun.

So you can't provide a direct example, of something that sells for 400-800 times it's value in high grade in one of these fields?

Which one is the typo? The 1-400x or the 400-800x? Because that's a largggggge difference. 1-400 is so ridiculous you're being obtuse on purpose asking for specific examples. the 400-800x? No idea and don't really care to go searching. 800x might be specific to comics...you might be right but that wasn't the first thing you asked.

The larger point is buy what you want? I would NEVER pay those prices for a 9.8 of that but i'm also not totally shocked someone would.

People spend hundreds of dollars on a hamburger...why not some random, 2nd print comic from the 90s?

How am I being obtuse? Captain Crunch's book selling for $400-800 when NM ungraded copies are available (unsold) for $1 is being exact. I asked if you could give me a direct example, and you couldn't.

Am I misunderstanding the first question? if you're asking for a specific example of something that is selling for 1 (singularly. ONE.) to 400 times it's normal price, then yes, that's being obtuse. That's how I understood your first response. If you meant something else? Whoops.

I agree with you that it's a ridiculous price. But I'd be reallllllly excited to sell that to someone else.

800x is easy.

Alright Greg, fair enough. But want if we eliminate the low dollar sales, where $8 is a relatively insignificant amount of money. What about $100+?

Is a 1977 US quarter for $266 good enough?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231276840048

Assuming it's at least possible to get handed one of these in your change... that's over 1000x.

800x is easy.

Assuming it's at least possible to get handed one of these in your change... that's over 1000x.

Maybe, but it's not like I'm going to be given a Wolvie #41 second print as a function of currency in my day-to-day life.

800x is easy.

Maybe, but it's not like I'm going to be given a Wolvie #41 second print as a function of currency in my day-to-day life.

Right... you have to purposefully look for 800x opportunity in comics.

In coins, they can find you (if you are paying attention).

From that standpoint, coins are even more ridiculous than comics.

800x is easy.

Right... you have to purposefully look for 800x opportunity in comics.

In coins, they can find you (if you are paying attention).

From that standpoint, coins are even more ridiculous than comics.

I'd have to look up my photos, but about 3-4 years ago I got a wheat penny in change from buying a breakfast burrito that I ended up selling on eBay for about $15 (I sold the penny, not the burrito, this is a terrible sentence). That's 1500x and it paid for the burrito about 4x. lol

Edited by mysterio

800x is easy.

challenge accepted!

Finding an MS67 potential 77-D quarter "in change", while possible, is so improbable as to render the example moot.

The reason those things exist is because people bought them brand new in rolls and saved them that way for coming up to 40 years.

The very act of handing you change renders most brand new coins no better than MS65...at best.

I have two mint sealed bags of 2006 quarters...bought as a lot. Because of the handling those bags have endured, I guarantee you that not a single example is better than MS63-64, even though the bags are still sealed.

the crazier part is a NM copy might be $1 and these are $400 in cgc 9.8, it's not the difference between a pristine and a beater, it's pristine vs. really nice.

This is truly crazy, but the price bump for graded copies has been discussed for a few years now. The difference between pristine and certified by someone else to be pristine? I still think the analogy holds with coins, paper money, etc. I understand paying more for the peace of mind on restoration check, undeclared damage, and so forth but not that much more. Maybe the time value of money? I can spend the next three weeks going to every LCS I can and will eventually pull a 9.8-worthy copy for $2,

Not with Wolverine #41 2nd print, you won't.

PS. The people who were looking for Wolverine #41, 2nd print, in 9.8 have all probably found one...for now. So, the book probably would sit at $200.

But no one should discount potential future popularity. Wolverine #41 was the start of a relatively important Sabretooth storyline (hence the 2nd prints), and that could pop up again.

There are, at most, 17 9.8 copies floating around. That seems to be enough to satisfy demand...for now.

And yet...I had three 9.8 Spidey #301s, and I struggled to sell them all for $225 each...and that was when there were 45 or so copies on the census. Now, there are 61...and two copies sold for $1000 and $1200+.

Sigh.

You never know.