• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

It looks like Firestorm 1 is seeing some nice movement currently. Id like to say its exploding, but after I looked at the 3 highest sales which are around $40 I am not sure about their validity. It is however exceeding $20+ regularly now.

I can vouch for one of them. :)

I get the impression that at MCS, $10-and-up books (picking a random cutoff) with scans are graded much tighter, and perhaps by different people entirely.

Seems like I've read a number of complaints here about their grading on 'filler' books, and I do find them believable... but I've bought quite a number of 'better' books from MCS over the years, and been well pleased with the grading every time.

Unfortunately for them, I placed an order of "filler books" so I could gauge how trustworthy their grading was without making too much of an investment in the process. Now I know, and I won't give them any more business.

One would think that if you're not going to invest too much time in grading books that won't sell for much (which I totally understand, because someone has to be paid to do that), you'd automatically knock down the grade a bit for defects you may have missed with a casual scan.

When I placed my order with MCS, I also placed one with Searchlight Comics, and while my experience with their grading was similar, their customer service was much more responsive and actually issued the refund they said they would.

Seems relevant. Here's a recent 8.5 from MCS.

My opinion on the grade in spoilers.

I put it at a 9.2 with impending press/slab grade of 9.4 probably even 9.6. As high as the very small CB corner crease on the bc will let it go.

hulk271_zps78d2d4b7.jpg

70e47a53-1d48-47d5-afa2-9fd6f8d71947_zps0b493661.jpg

That edge stress at the top is going to knock it down a bit, no?

And probably a dozen spine ticks on the back cover. Cannot tell if there are any on the front cover. It looks like a 8.5 to me, but I trust the person who has it in hand, since scans are a hard thing to grade.

I put it at a 9.2 with impending press/slab grade of 9.4 probably even 9.6. As high as the very small CB corner crease on the bc will let it go.

hulk271_zps78d2d4b7.jpg

And probably a dozen spine ticks on the back cover. Cannot tell if there are any on the front cover. It looks like a 8.5 to me, but I trust the person who has it in hand, since scans are a hard thing to grade.

It does look nice in hand. My scanner is not favorable to white colors/backgrounds. Three cb spine stresses, the tiny bc corner crease and a decent amount of nbc wear(back cover spine). Working under the assumption that CGC is easy peezy up to 9.2 right now, something I firmly believe and reflect with that grade, I think this book subs in at a 9.2 as is. Pressing will push it further.

I'm not arguing grade, just trying to paint a better picture of in hand appearance. :)

I had no problem with Searchlight's grading, but in my experience, their customer service is terrible. My first order with them was missing a book, and neither e-mails or phone calls prompted any actual response. It was only $20, but I certainly would never order from them again.

This thread had 4,444 posts, with 4 new ones when I clicked it.

Numerology.

:whee:

The number 4 is considered bad luck by the Chinese. The number "four" in Chinese sounds like the word "death".

They don't sound the same at all. One is 3rd tone and the other is 4th.

But yeah, you're right. :wink: They don't like it.

Please don't. :grin:

Oh, and btw Jim, remind again who you are, and why I should care if you do or not? hmlol

I'm just a guy, with a very good reputation on the boards and in the hobby in general. The non condescending type who can actually grade a book. Don't worry about me though, I'm not the issue here. A half dozen people have already said the book ain't even close to a 9.8 and this has been a very enlightening excerise. :thumbsup:

Jim

Your raw 9.8s are 9.8s. (worship)

Now, the hamster bedding that comes in the package is another story. :censored:

Oh I know Sean :thumbsup:

I'm still 100% on 9.8's for WD books too...never had one come back a 9.6 yet :cloud9:

In Chicago last year I did screw up on a regular copper on site submission of 100 books. Only 96 came back 9.8's, the other two were 9.6's and the other two were 9.9's. :sorry:

Jim

What a looser! :P

MCS has strict grading?

I bought about 10 Conan The Barbarian books from then since I've head so many wonderful things about their grading, All books were "NM+" The books showed up with multiple color breaking spine creases and small bends on the corners, along with surface wear. I mailed them back for a refund. No idea what others are seeing. I'll sell there though

Well I bet the problems you are talking about didn't happen in transit. They pack well. Also they will refund you if you aren't satisfied.

Unless they don't.

Please don't. :grin:

Oh, and btw Jim, remind again who you are, and why I should care if you do or not? hmlol

I'm just a guy, with a very good reputation on the boards and in the hobby in general. The non condescending type who can actually grade a book. Don't worry about me though, I'm not the issue here. A half dozen people have already said the book ain't even close to a 9.8 and this has been a very enlightening excerise. :thumbsup:

Jim

Your raw 9.8s are 9.8s. (worship)

Now, the hamster bedding that comes in the package is another story. :censored:

Oh I know Sean :thumbsup:

I'm still 100% on 9.8's for WD books too...never had one come back a 9.6 yet :cloud9:

In Chicago last year I did screw up on a regular copper on site submission of 100 books. Only 96 came back 9.8's, the other two were 9.6's and the other two were 9.9's. :sorry:

Jim

What a looser! :P

Yeah, loosers are no good. I prefer tighters.

Well I bet the problems you are talking about didn't happen in transit. They pack well. Also they will refund you if you aren't satisfied. I've bought plenty from them and they are often accurate with their grading.

If you use the cheap saver shipping option they'll tell you to pound sand if your items arrive damaged.

I did just buy a few late coppers/early moderns from them, all priced less than 10 bucks, all advertised NM, and one of the books had a color breaking fold across the entirety of the back cover. It was clear they never looked at the book prior to shipping. I asked if they could replace the book as they had numerous copies still in stock but they declined, and instead gave me a credit on my account and let me keep the copy they sent me.

I imagine with consignment items they are very strict with grading, as it lowers the odds of the buyer being unsatisfied. I'm guessing they don't want to be stuck as the middleman for a book they don't own.

hulk271_zps78d2d4b7.jpg

It does look nice in hand. My scanner is not favorable to white colors/backgrounds. Three cb spine stresses, the tiny bc corner crease and a decent amount of nbc wear(back cover spine). Working under the assumption that CGC is easy peezy up to 9.2 right now, something I firmly believe and reflect with that grade, I think this book subs in at a 9.2 as is. Pressing will push it further.

I'm not arguing grade, just trying to paint a better picture of in hand appearance. :)

How many DHs you want for it? :baiting:

Whats a fair price for one? I have the other (4) 9.8's ... i was thinking half of that price any one interested PM an offer. I have no clue there is no sales history.

th_SA5_zps06f9cdda.jpg

Another one I dont have a clue how to price is Big hero 6 in 9.8 got some of them as well .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-Adventures-5-CGC-9-8-white-LIVEWIRE-1st-appearance-NO-RESERVE-/221488607013?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3391bfef25

I think Brave and Bold #200 is for real, at least for now, I sold two copies this past week , one for $50 and the other for $70.

Sweet! :applause:

thanks divad, just sold a third copy for $55. :)

I get the impression that at MCS, $10-and-up books (picking a random cutoff) with scans are graded much tighter, and perhaps by different people entirely.

Seems like I've read a number of complaints here about their grading on 'filler' books, and I do find them believable... but I've bought quite a number of 'better' books from MCS over the years, and been well pleased with the grading every time.

Might there be a difference in how they grade stuff on consignment vs. how they grade their own inventory? Seems like they would really not want to deal with returns on consignment stuff and all those potential problems so they go overboard tight on grading?

No one seems to be talking about the Rocket Racoon Mini Series from the 80's. I've seen #1 issues jump to $40 and here's a complete mini set #1-4 for $107 & 8 bids.

I passed on some of those in a dollar box after 271 started heating up.

I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

My logic was...the 4th, 5th 11th appearances of all sorts of much more notable characters aren't worth anything, why would this dumb looking thing be?

Whats a fair price for one? I have the other (4) 9.8's ... i was thinking half of that price any one interested PM an offer. I have no clue there is no sales history.

th_SA5_zps06f9cdda.jpg

Another one I dont have a clue how to price is Big hero 6 in 9.8 got some of them as well .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-Adventures-5-CGC-9-8-white-LIVEWIRE-1st-appearance-NO-RESERVE-/221488607013?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3391bfef25

Just another "outlier" . . . :eyeroll:

No one seems to be talking about the Rocket Racoon Mini Series from the 80's. I've seen #1 issues jump to $40 and here's a complete mini set #1-4 for $107 & 8 bids.

I just listed a set on ebay (rare auction style), if you want to track it.

th_SA5_zps06f9cdda.jpg

Just another "outlier" . . . :eyeroll:

Livewire has some legs. That was my auction. I had two 9.8s and sold the second to an underbidder for a small discount.

Not bad for a couple of $3 finds at the LCS. (shrug)