• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I just noticed this recently. Is Wolverine (1988 series) #41, 2nd Print (gold cover), really worth this much? There have been four sales over the last year ranging from $400 to $885!

Is this the result of shill bidding or is this issue genuinely rare? I'm a bit suspicious of three sales in February 2014 and then nothing after that. I don't get it.

Here are the GPA results as of today:

Wolverine41CGC98Values_zps0b131f2b.jpg

its perceived as rare in high grade. 15 copies ain't that rare to me, but whatevs. It is worth that much though to the market.

People paying that for a 9.8 when low grade copies are available for a buck are completely insane.

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

What's your point? Please give me an example of someone paying 1-400 times the going rate of an item outside of collecting comics, only because it's in very high grade?

Edited by spreads

People paying that for a 9.8 when low grade copies are available for a buck are completely insane.

Same can be said about people paying 300K for a NM copy of AF 15, you can buy a 1.0 for $4500 instead.

I don't agree with that either, but at least with that example you cited there's far fewer high grade copies available, and a 'cultural significance' intangible has to be factored in the pricing.

Wolverine #41 second print...what did Whetton say they sold for, $300-400? Holy christ.

Edit: Just saw the post by captain crunch above. $400-800, oh man! Good for the seller, if that was me I'd be laughing non-stop like Monty Burns over a period of a few days (from that scene from The Simpsons).

Edited by spreads

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

What's your point? Please give me an example of someone paying 1-400 times the going rate of an item outside of collecting comics, only because it's in very high grade?

Happens in coins and paper currency collecting every day. If you think grade is important in comics, go look those. Comics have nothing on them.

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

Happens in coins and paper currency collecting every day. If you think grade is important in comics, go look those. Comics have nothing on them.

I know nothing about that field, can you give me a specific example. I never advocated that grade in comics is the be-all-and-end-all; I see people paying good money for an ultra high grade of a relatively 'worthless' book dumb. There was a buyer on the VF boards that had huge runs of all the common books in 9.8 slabs. When he tried to sell these he couldn't find a buyer for a lot of them, and they were for basically nothing, some unsold at 99 cents.

I always tell these buyers that paying big money for these books is a huge risk...

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

Again...Huh?

Coins, Sports cards, cars, toys....nearly the ENTIRE universe of collecting literally anything. Unless you collect damaged things on purpose. That would be pretty fun.

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

Again...Huh?

Coins, Sports cards, cars, toys....nearly the ENTIRE universe of collecting literally anything. Unless you collect damaged things on purpose. That would be pretty fun.

So you can't provide a direct example, of something that sells for 400-800 times it's value in high grade in one of these fields?

For decades, people have been paying handsomely for the highest available graded comics. That's not surprising at all.

People paying that much for Wolvie 41 2nd print would seem ill advised but who knows what the future holds. (shrug)

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

Again...Huh?

So you can't provide a direct example, of something that sells for 400-800 times it's value in high grade in one of these fields?

Not quite to the same extent, but certainly in the ballpark, and the best I could do in five minutes:

1965 Ford Mustang (original, comparable to Blue 9.6) - $60,000

Ford Mustang Original

1965 Ford Mustang (restored, comparable to PLOD 9.4) - $22,000

Mustang Restored

1965 Ford Mustang (rusty, complete, comparable to Blue 1.8) - $5500

Mustang raw

The fact is that for many collectibles new high prices for "among the best" copies are set all the time, while beaters are plentiful. What would you get for a 10th century Chinese tea set with chipped ceramic? A tiny fraction of what you'd get for a flawless set. It's almost too easy to come up with examples. Watch any episode of Antiques Roadshow, or Pawn Stars, etc and see people show up with their damaged goods trying to get full price. (shrug)

It may not be 400-800x price, but most of those things don't start at $1. If a $1 item rockets up to $25, it's a huge percentage increase but I could still buy it with the change in my piggy bank. We're talking about an item that many completists want for their Wolverine runs, but wasn't highly regarded as a collectible when it came out. The gold ink cover shows wear easily, and its years as a discount bin book have taken a toll on the total quality of the supply.

I would never pay that much for a copy, but likewise I would never pay the current asking prices of New Mutants 98 or Walking Dead 1.

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

Again...Huh?

pretty sure in coins there are silver coins that are basically worth their silver value in low grade and worth many hundreds, if not thousands, in some mint state grade. i feel like in cards there are basically 50 cent cards that in PSA 10 are worth three digits.

the crazier part is a NM copy might be $1 and these are $400 in cgc 9.8, it's not the difference between a pristine and a beater, it's pristine vs. really nice.

This is truly crazy, but the price bump for graded copies has been discussed for a few years now. The difference between pristine and certified by someone else to be pristine? I still think the analogy holds with coins, paper money, etc. I understand paying more for the peace of mind on restoration check, undeclared damage, and so forth but not that much more. Maybe the time value of money? I can spend the next three weeks going to every LCS I can and will eventually pull a 9.8-worthy copy for $2, or I can go on CLink or HA and drop some cash and have it delivered right to my door.

Huh?

9.8 =/ 5.0

Again...Huh?

Which one is the typo? The 1-400x or the 400-800x? Because that's a largggggge difference. 1-400 is so ridiculous you're being obtuse on purpose asking for specific examples. the 400-800x? No idea and don't really care to go searching. 800x might be specific to comics...you might be right but that wasn't the first thing you asked.

The larger point is buy what you want? I would NEVER pay those prices for a 9.8 of that but i'm also not totally shocked someone would.

People spend hundreds of dollars on a hamburger...why not some random, 2nd print comic from the 90s?

Edited by Beastfeast