• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

DKR has been rising steadily for a while now, steady and slow.

It's nice to see it start going up a bit faster now.

Both IG and DKR have to have huge print runs though, right...?

If there is demand I don't think the print run matters, see NM 98.

Don't be so sure DKR 1 has a big print run. The regular Batman title had a low print run at the time--the character wasn't very popular at the comic shops. It was expensive and when it came time for me to preorder I only had one image, a blocky weird pic of Batman and a female Robin...

Don't be so sure DKR 1 has a big print run. The regular Batman title had a low print run at the time--the character wasn't very popular at the comic shops. It was expensive and when it came time for me to preorder I only had one image, a blocky weird pic of Batman and a female Robin...

Plus, I'm guessing, the Ronin numbers and price point prompted some cautious ordering--which is why they ended up having second and third printings...

For some reason, I have in my mind that the print run of DKR #1 (1st print) was only 5,000. I couldn't tell you where I would have seen that though. At the time, I was a kid and ordered it through Westfield Comics. (Still have that order form somewhere, heh.)

Yep. Ronin was basically a bust. DKR seemed like kind of a weird experiment from what I could tell. I ordered more than I did of Batman and Detective, but not a lot more. The first day I saw it I was in shock--the cover was amazing, the writing was amazing, I felt really tricked!

Print run was way more than 5000. But not like an issue of X-Men or like late 80s or early 90s print runs.

Plus, I'm guessing, the Ronin numbers and price point prompted some cautious ordering--which is why they ended up having second and third printings...

For some reason, I have in my mind that the print run of DKR #1 (1st print) was only 5,000. I couldn't tell you where I would have seen that though. At the time, I was a kid and ordered it through Westfield Comics. (Still have that order form somewhere, heh.)

Well, THAT ain't right.

I would have to check on my records, I know it was mentioned somewhere as well..

I would assume the print run was low because the book went to $20-30 almost instantly and back in the 80s that wasnt a common thing with a modern book

I had heard shops way over ordered on Ronin, which led to a way under order on DKR #1.

But 5,000 copies doesn't seem in the realm of possibility.

What about IG? That series was everywhere. It had to have had an enormous print run.

Interesting that The Dark Knight Returns Signed & Numbered HC that came out in 1986 hasn't really had a price adjustment up. It used to sell for 4x to 5x of high grade raw Dark Knight #1's, now a graded 9.8 #1 sells for more than it does. Signed by Miller & limited to 4000 copies, it looks like the bargain now. The regular hardcover edition is also really reasonably priced.

I had heard shops way over ordered on Ronin, which led to a way under order on DKR #1.

What about IG? That series was everywhere. It had to have had an enormous print run.

DKR #1 had 24,100 Capital City orders, which was about 9.1% of the DC market in 1986 according to Standard Catalog of Comic Books.

That means the print run for DKR #1 was about 265,000 copies.

Infinity Gauntlet #1 was 118,600 Capital City orders, which was about 22.1% of the Marvel market in 1991.

That puts the print run for Infinity Gauntlet #1 around 535,000 copies.

DKR #1 had 24,100 Capital City orders, which was about 9.1% of the DC market in 1986 according to Standard Catalog of Comic Books.

Infinity Gauntlet #1 was 118,600 Capital City orders, which was about 22.1% of the Marvel market in 1991.

So print run has nothing to do with value for these two issues - it's all demand driven. The size of the market now is mind-boggling! :grin:

That sounds about right. And its true, the S&N limited HC was going for 600.00 almost right off the gate (thats 1986 $600.00 for ya, which translates as around 1300-1500.00 today).

So print run has nothing to do with value for these two issues - it's all demand driven. The size of the market now is mind-boggling! :grin:

Print run isn't nearly as relevant to the back issue market as demand (including the current insane speculation) and marketplace availability.

You mean the same cover as the first trade, I think.

I sold my A/P S&N for $400 about 4 years ago, to some doosh in Ireland who hammered my DSRs because I wouldn't declare the item a "gift."

Damn it.