• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Another purchase of this book by a zero feedback buyer who registered for an account on the sale date. Fake email address provided. Not a real sale.

eBay - New Mutants 87 CGC 9.8

Hopefully the MCS sale is legit, but I doubt it is. Some skulduggery and malfeasance is going on.

I've had mine for sale since u pointed out the price increase. Best offer I've received was $325.

I've noticed some shenanigans with I zombie 1 (modern) lately as well.

If you are referring to the IZombie 1 CGC 9.8s that keep selling, those are mine. I have 8 copies and have sold 4 in the last month or so. Is this what you are referring to?

yes that is correct. My apologies but the GPA shows the same book sold 3 times (same serial #)

if all 3 were sold and paid for :applause: I have one that just came back so if the prices have gone up ^^

They were all bought and paid for and I just left the same scan up because this book isn't centered or anything like that. I will be relisting another one tonight or tomorrow as soon as I pack up this one. Good luck with your copy.

Actually good to see you again haven't seen you post for quite a while.

Another purchase of this book by a zero feedback buyer who registered for an account on the sale date. Fake email address provided. Not a real sale.

eBay - New Mutants 87 CGC 9.8

Hopefully the MCS sale is legit, but I doubt it is. Some skulduggery and malfeasance is going on.

I've had mine for sale since u pointed out the price increase. Best offer I've received was $325.

I've noticed some shenanigans with I zombie 1 (modern) lately as well.

If you are referring to the IZombie 1 CGC 9.8s that keep selling, those are mine. I have 8 copies and have sold 4 in the last month or so. Is this what you are referring to?

yes that is correct. My apologies but the GPA shows the same book sold 3 times (same serial #)

if all 3 were sold and paid for :applause: I have one that just came back so if the prices have gone up ^^

They were all bought and paid for and I just left the same scan up because this book isn't centered or anything like that. I will be relisting another one tonight or tomorrow as soon as I pack up this one. Good luck with your copy.

Actually good to see you again haven't seen you post for quite a while.

I read the boards almost every day. I just never sign into my account because my password is some jibberish that I can never remember. I will try to be more active on the boards in the coming months.

Malfeasance MOST foul!!

Indeed. It looks like GPA has been scrubbed of most, if not all, of the bogus sales.

Looks like the setting to bar 0 feedback users from buying from me didn't work. Just had another sale of this book to someone who registered today. Doubt this is a real sale. I wish ebay would verify email addresses before allowing people to set up accounts.

Malfeasance MOST foul!!

Indeed. It looks like GPA has been scrubbed of most, if not all, of the bogus sales.

Looks like the setting to bar 0 feedback users from buying from me didn't work. Just had another sale of this book to someone who registered today. Doubt this is a real sale. I wish ebay would verify email addresses before allowing people to set up accounts.

Just because people have 0 feedback doesn't automatically mean they aren't going to pay for what they've won. I've had several 0 feedback users win my auctions and have paid right away, you've got to give people a chance.

Malfeasance MOST foul!!

Just because people have 0 feedback doesn't automatically mean they aren't going to pay for what they've won. I've had several 0 feedback users win my auctions and have paid right away, you've got to give people a chance.

I totally agree that people have to be given a chance. I've sold to a few honest 0 feedback buyers. However, over the last week someone has been setting up shill accounts and purchasing every New Mutantss CGC 9.8 on eBay to drive up GPA. This was the third time it has happened to me in less than a week.

The email address they are typing in is not a valid address. It's basically gibberish @aol.com.

I hate that I've had to block the 0 feedback people, but it's the only way I can legitimately sell this item.

Shill-bining seems to be becoming a major problem. Not sure how ebay can stop it. At least GPA seem to be on top of it but the "sales" are still in the ebay sold listings, aren't they?

Yeah, eBay keeps the sales even if they are cancelled, I believe. GPA is good about scrubbing them, though.

I thought there was a thread for this book but I can't find it.

ASM #301 9.8 did it again :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-spider-man-301-cgc-9-8-off-white-to-white-pages-/141450933324?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20ef21f44c

This book is super interesting. At first there were very few copies available. Price is high. Then a big sale in 2008 (along with the mainstreaming of pressing) brings out many copies. 2-3 years later the price completely tanks. Then, starting in 2012, the price cranks up again. It is a very interesting sales analysis for a non-key book.

GPA summary (Year, # of sales recorded, price)

2006 (1) $689

2007 (1) $970

2008 (2) $495, $1320

2009 (21) $203-$1001

2010 (18) $125-$500

2011 (5) $99-$241

2012 (5) $250-$320

2013 (5) $400-$875

2014 (7) $592-$1283

I was in the trenches with Copper books for all these years, plain and simple - the economy tanked. The Economy recovered at the same time collecting Copper became one of the cool things to do. Maybe it was just new blood. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tom, I have no doubt that played a part in it. I had some High Bronze in a 2009 C-Link auction, and several of them would have been GPA lows by a factor of 60-70%. Now that was a tank-fest.

But there is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION in my mind that the boom in supply was a large part of it as well.

What I find interesting is that other monster boom books (Transformers 1, GI Joe 21 etc.) have not had the second rise that this book has.

Yes an increase in available copies due to pressing, Heritage jumped into the game as they liquidated a warehouse collection deep with multiple copies. The ASM McFarlane run has garnered enough new set collectors to outpace the supply. The supply seems to be ramping up again. Other titles have just stabilized and have a consistent value over a raw high grade copies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-spider-man-301-cgc-9-8-off-white-to-white-pages-/141450933324?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20ef21f44c

This book is super interesting. At first there were very few copies available. Price is high. Then a big sale in 2008 (along with the mainstreaming of pressing) brings out many copies. 2-3 years later the price completely tanks. Then, starting in 2012, the price cranks up again. It is a very interesting sales analysis for a non-key book.

2006 (1) $689

2007 (1) $970

2008 (2) $495, $1320

2009 (21) $203-$1001

2010 (18) $125-$500

2011 (5) $99-$241

2012 (5) $250-$320

2013 (5) $400-$875

2014 (7) $592-$1283

I was in the trenches with Copper books for all these years, plain and simple - the economy tanked. The Economy recovered at the same time collecting Copper became one of the cool things to do. Maybe it was just new blood. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tom, I have no doubt that played a part in it. I had some High Bronze in a 2009 C-Link auction, and several of them would have been GPA lows by a factor of 60-70%. Now that was a tank-fest.

But there is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION in my mind that the boom in supply was a large part of it as well.

What I find interesting is that other monster boom books (Transformers 1, GI Joe 21 etc.) have not had the second rise that this book has.

Yes an increase in available copies due to pressing, Heritage jumped into the game as they liquidated a warehouse collection deep with multiple copies. The ASM McFarlane run has garnered enough new set collectors to outpace the supply. The supply seems to be ramping up again. Other titles have just stabilized and have a consistent value over a raw high grade copies.

Except that for *this* particular book...as people have pointed out for quite some time...is quite a bit tougher in 9.8 than the rest of the books, for a variety of reasons already discussed.

Despite monstrous prices, the rush to 9.8 has slowed to a trickle...

2006 (1) $689

2007 (1) $970

2008 (2) $495, $1320

2009 (21) $203-$1001

2010 (18) $125-$500

2011 (5) $99-$241

2012 (5) $250-$320

2013 (5) $400-$875

2014 (7) $592-$1283

Except that for *this* particular book...as people have pointed out for quite some time...is quite a bit tougher in 9.8 than the rest of the books, for a variety of reasons already discussed.

This book does stand on its own legs, very hard to find in 9.8. I actually think its the most difficult to find of the entire McSpidy run regardless of condition. Combine with a cool cover that looks like 300 and you get a perfect storm for a wild price spike in 9.8. I have only had two 9.8's and they were both early 2009.

2006 (1) $689

2007 (1) $970

2008 (2) $495, $1320

2009 (21) $203-$1001

2010 (18) $125-$500

2011 (5) $99-$241

2012 (5) $250-$320

2013 (5) $400-$875

2014 (7) $592-$1283

This book does stand on its own legs, very hard to find in 9.8. I actually think its the most difficult to find of the entire McSpidy run regardless of condition. Combine with a cool cover that looks like 300 and you get a perfect storm for a wild price spike in 9.8. I have only had two 9.8's and they were both early 2009.

I've had four, and I had the $735 sale after your $1001 sale. Then, I gave away the other three for $250 each.

lol

:cry:

lol

Malfeasance MOST foul!!

This has been true for me too, but you cant tell me you don't cringe when you see it because I do. :eek:

Malfeasance MOST foul!!

This has been true for me too, but you cant tell me you don't cringe when you see it because I do. :eek:

I give everyone a week to pay, I've had late payments from guys who've had thousands of positive feedback and quick payments from guys who have 0 feedback, so after a week and no payment, I let eBay know I haven't gotten payment yet. but pretty much everyone pays, very rare I get a no payment.

Agree with all on the 301. I swore I had 2 9.8s and both hit only 9.6. And I'm fairly accurate on cgcs grading. Howard Rockman was the first to hit 9.8 on this book btw.

In my experience, 301 is absolutely the most difficult to obtain in 9.8. I've produced multiples of every book from the McFarlane run including 298-300 in 9.8. I just recently got my first 301 in 9.8.

Edited by MCMiles