• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Agree with all on the 301. I swore I had 2 9.8s and both hit only 9.6. And I'm fairly accurate on cgcs grading. Howard Rockman was the first to hit 9.8 on this book btw.

In my experience, 301 is absolutely the most difficult to obtain in 9.8. I've produced multiples of every book from the McFarlane run including 298-300 in 9.8. I just recently got my first 301 in 9.8.

Sometimes CGC grades a book tough for years and then lowers its standards and a flood of 9.8's come pouring in. Harbinger 1 is a good example. Maybe it is time ASM 301 gets the "easy pass" treatment. There are certainly some books sitting out there in 9.6 holders that I swore could have/ should have been 9.8's.

Agree with all on the 301. I swore I had 2 9.8s and both hit only 9.6. And I'm fairly accurate on cgcs grading. Howard Rockman was the first to hit 9.8 on this book btw.

In my experience, 301 is absolutely the most difficult to obtain in 9.8. I've produced multiples of every book from the McFarlane run including 298-300 in 9.8. I just recently got my first 301 in 9.8.

Sometimes CGC grades a book tough for years and then lowers its standards and a flood of 9.8's come pouring in. Harbinger 1 is a good example. Maybe it is time ASM 301 gets the "easy pass" treatment. There are certainly some books sitting out there in 9.6 holders that I swore could have/ should have been 9.8's.

I would rather they have a grading standard that is not dependent on any one comic, if such a thing truly exists as you seem to be suggesting

I would rather they have a grading standard that is not dependent on any one comic, if such a thing truly exists as you seem to be suggesting

Agreed.

I believe they lowered the standards to accommodate getting a 9.8 Wolverine #35 on the census.

Edited by MCMiles

It's a printing defect, but I still think they lower the standard for that book to meet it's "typical" condition.

The problem for CGC and for collectors is that eventually at least one copy without the tears surfaced. So that one (and other like it) is really a 9.8 and the others are "well, these were thought to be 9.8 based on the fact that we had never seen one without the tears." :insane:

It's a printing defect, but I still think they lower the standard for that book to meet it's "typical" condition.

The problem for CGC and for collectors is that eventually at least one copy without the tears surfaced. So that one (and other like it) is really a 9.8 and the others are "well, these were thought to be 9.8 based on the fact that we had never seen one without the tears." :insane:

I've never liked the " printers/bindery crease/tear" exemption. Mainly due to the fact that the first few dozen people who submit these type books get hosed having the defect affect the grade.

Then for other reasons like when they apply these exemptions way too liberally with golden age books. . the most recent Action Comics # 1 that sold on ebay, which has 2 medium " bindery tears" that seem to not have counted against the grade. Those tears also seem to have been made worse over time by handling, which should count against it no matter what. IMO. They don't have a sample pool large enough of that book to make a call like that either way, again IMO.

Then for other reasons like when they apply these exemptions way too liberally with golden age books. . the most recent Action Comics # 1 that sold on ebay, which has 2 medium " bindery tears" that seem to not have counted against the grade. Those tears also seem to have been made worse over time by handling, which should count against it no matter what. IMO. They don't have a sample pool large enough of that book to make a call like that either way, again IMO.

Have scans? I never noticed that.

Have scans? I never noticed that.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/23/the-first-3000000-comic-action-comics-1-cgc-9-0-white-pages-about-to-hit-the-market/

I'm pretty sure the bindery tears counted against it. There's not a lot else wrong with it. Hard to tell from just the scans, though.

New Moderns are notorious for bindery tears on larger books, more pages. The have chosen to not upgrade cover stock and this causes tears. Walking Dead 127 & ASM #1 were two biggies that I remember recently.

More akin to Copper is ASM 361. I've seem a lot of ones that have a bottom staple that appears loose based on the cover. One hole of the bottom staple is larger that it should be like it was jostled. I didn't think it was recognized until recently but I believe it has been recognized as a production defect.

My opinion is how can it get better than when it comes off the production line? If it was messed up on the line it's still a 10.0 when it gets to the end because that was the best produced. The problem is nobody is standing there watching each batch that comes off for quality control. Either that or you have an opinion that some books don't have a 10.0.

My opinion is how can it get better than when it comes off the production line? If it was messed up on the line it's still a 10.0 when it gets to the end because that was the best produced. The problem is nobody is standing there watching each batch that comes off for quality control. Either that or you have an opinion that some books don't have a 10.0.

Bingo

Some books

Bingo

Some books

I agree, some books don't have a 10.0.

Exactly.

There is no reason the best possible copy couldn't have just been a 9.6 forever or until a true 9.8 actually showed up.

Some books just aren't going to have and shouldn't have 10, 9.9, or maybe even 9.8.

Bingo

Some books

I agree, some books don't have a 10.0.

That is how CGC views it. I understand that they have to have some type of system that can be applied across the board to all books.

My view however is that a 10 would be the best book ever produced. If all the books are produced cut in half but one makes it out only 1/4 of the book missing, that is the 10. This would be impossible to implement however.

:o:ohnoez:

Darkhawk #1 CGC 9.8 @ $100 & 1 bid finally made the top ten list on Lyria as Most Expensive Graded Copper Comic on eBay today.

:headbang:

I sold mine a couple months ago for $115 off of E-Bay and people seem to get $125 or so on the boards. $100 would be low from what I've seen.

My view however is that a 10 would be the best book ever produced. If all the books are produced cut in half but one makes it out only 1/4 of the book missing, that is the 10. This would be impossible to implement however.

Definitely impossible to implement.

I think there's value in saying "the best copy ever located and graded is an 8.0" on an independent scale though.

It immediately tells you that all known copies are mid-grade... which makes mid-grade highly desirable for that book.

Using your half-book and three-quarter book scenario, calling it a 10 because it's the best would be misleading.

Something can be the best of its kind and still be less than perfect.

(How much sense would it make to call the Venus de Milo a perfect 10 because it's the best one in existence? It's missing arms! :P )