• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I have been following CA Miracleman and saw a #1 CGC 9.8 sold in Oct for $102

Item number:321539924331

I was selling those on here a few years ago for $35

Slabbed? Not much of a return on that is there?

There was not, but I had about 50 of them. I may have got $50 for the first few but since I was blowing them out, everyone here got a good deal. Sold them ALL.

#1 is such a common book though.

#1 is such a common book though.

Yes, but when you have to buy them and pay for them to get graded then sell them at $35 there isn't much room for profit.

My view however is that a 10 would be the best book ever produced. If all the books are produced cut in half but one makes it out only 1/4 of the book missing, that is the 10. This would be impossible to implement however.

Definitely impossible to implement.

I think there's value in saying "the best copy ever located and graded is an 8.0" on an independent scale though.

It immediately tells you that all known copies are mid-grade... which makes mid-grade highly desirable for that book.

Using your half-book and three-quarter book scenario, calling it a 10 because it's the best would be misleading.

Something can be the best of its kind and still be less than perfect.

(How much sense would it make to call the Venus de Milo a perfect 10 because it's the best one in existence? It's missing arms! :P )

This is why the census makes sense. You can see the availability of books in a certain grade and value it accordingly.

Someone following what's going on with Spider-Gwen thinks this might somehow be connected (and never actually read the story; hint: cover misrepresents the story)

Simple. Someone is just missing that copy from their Annuals, and thinks they are getting a sweet copy. ;) No hype, no spec, just want.

It's a fantastic cover, and in very high grade.

Exactly. I don't think that price is out of line at all, assuming it truly is a NM+ copy.

Closer to 9.2 me thinks, but still a nice copy:

gMwxdc.jpg

ysy1sy.jpg

Exactly. I don't think that price is out of line at all, assuming it truly is a NM+ copy.

gMwxdc.jpg

ysy1sy.jpg

You are probably the last person who should give advice on grading. Although it's probably more of a 9.4 than a 9.6, it sure is closer to the assigned grade than the doozies you come up with.

Jim

gMwxdc.jpg

ysy1sy.jpg

You are probably the last person who should give advice on grading. Although it's probably more of a 9.4 than a 9.6, it sure is closer to the assigned grade than the doozies you come up with.

Jim

shots fired! :popcorn:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Toggle the display of this post

:blahblah: You've got a pole up your butt.

Looks like the NM87 shiller is at it again on eBay. Apologies for being redundant with this, but the shill is obviously looking to inflate the price. With the traffic this site gets, I figured it'd be helpful to buyers and counterproductive to the shiller to point out manipulation when it's present.