• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I don't think it really matters in this day and age. Just get rid of the Age labels.

^^

1980s comics come from the 1980s. What's copper got to do with it? (shrug)

Would you consider comic books an artform? I would. Most forms of art that come to mind (art itself, architecture, etc..) are defined in periods for many reasons; ie. social class, economy of the time, typology, etc...

But many types of art styles existed concurrently - for example Art Deco and Surrealism both occurred at the same time in the 1920's.

So, by that same rational, could Bronze and Copper both exists at the same time? hm

If the ages are defined by style or content, absolutely, and different titles could have different breakpoints as the "feel" changes. If eras are defined strictly by time, then probably not.

I believe that beginning with the 1980s, you got that "80s vibe" as a result of the whole culture of the 1980s.

We've already given a "Bronze Age" label to the 1970s, because you could say the same thing for the 1970s... but if we're going to keep reaching for labels, we might as well go with the one that also sets the time, "1980s". Otherwise, we might agree on a label (Copper) but we won't agree on a time (approximately the 1980s)... and we're left trying to explain the Copper label in terms of both time and content/style. 1980s comics generally do have a different "feel" than 1970s and 1990s, so there's really no need to say more. "1980s comics" is a thing, in terms of time of course, but also in terms of content/style, etc.

The changing of decades signals "something new" (or at least an attempt to change directions) in terms of culture... and it reflects in the comics. "1990s comics" sees the launch of Spider-man #1, X-Men #1, etc., publishers like Image, Valiant, etc., and the implosion in the middle of the decade with serious market downturn that doesn't really rebound in the 1990s.

"Ultimate" became a thing in 2000, and the 2000s are a decade generally identified with "Ultimate-style" (many successful) attempts to reboot titles (both major companies). Batman Hush storyline in early 2000s as well. Yes, you can point to Heroes Reborn in 1998, but "2000s comics" is a good approximation of that content/style. You also get nearly exclusive digital coloring with the 2000s, clearly reflected in the "Ultimate" lines. You also get all of the early walking dead (Walking Dead #1 - #68) if you talk about "2000s comics".

By the end of the 2000s, we're heavy into the movies and tv shows and the first five years of the 2010s have generally been connected with small screen, big screen, and all rumors of both. 2011 is the full DC reboot... and the first half of the decade has been signficantly impacted by that.

Sounds like you are proposing we take the easy way out and just start using decades instead of ages. :baiting: I'm okay with the ages we have now. Only in hindsight does it become clear there was a change in comics. The problem with the 90s and 2000s lots of changes have occurred making it more difficult to clearly delineate an age. But, I know through debate and perseverance, eventually the age (or ages) will emerge. Also, I'm partial to the Nickel age for the age after Copper.

Edited by rjrjr

I don't think it really matters in this day and age. Just get rid of the Age labels.

^^

1980s comics come from the 1980s. What's copper got to do with it? (shrug)

Would you consider comic books an artform? I would. Most forms of art that come to mind (art itself, architecture, etc..) are defined in periods for many reasons; ie. social class, economy of the time, typology, etc...

But many types of art styles existed concurrently - for example Art Deco and Surrealism both occurred at the same time in the 1920's.

So, by that same rational, could Bronze and Copper both exists at the same time? hm

If the ages are defined by style or content, absolutely, and different titles could have different breakpoints as the "feel" changes. If eras are defined strictly by time, then probably not.

I believe that beginning with the 1980s, you got that "80s vibe" as a result of the whole culture of the 1980s.

We've already given a "Bronze Age" label to the 1970s, because you could say the same thing for the 1970s... but if we're going to keep reaching for labels, we might as well go with the one that also sets the time, "1980s". Otherwise, we might agree on a label (Copper) but we won't agree on a time (approximately the 1980s)... and we're left trying to explain the Copper label in terms of both time and content/style. 1980s comics generally do have a different "feel" than 1970s and 1990s, so there's really no need to say more. "1980s comics" is a thing, in terms of time of course, but also in terms of content/style, etc.

The changing of decades signals "something new" (or at least an attempt to change directions) in terms of culture... and it reflects in the comics. "1990s comics" sees the launch of Spider-man #1, X-Men #1, etc., publishers like Image, Valiant, etc., and the implosion in the middle of the decade with serious market downturn that doesn't really rebound in the 1990s.

"Ultimate" became a thing in 2000, and the 2000s are a decade generally identified with "Ultimate-style" (many successful) attempts to reboot titles (both major companies). Batman Hush storyline in early 2000s as well. Yes, you can point to Heroes Reborn in 1998, but "2000s comics" is a good approximation of that content/style. You also get nearly exclusive digital coloring with the 2000s, clearly reflected in the "Ultimate" lines. You also get all of the early walking dead (Walking Dead #1 - #68) if you talk about "2000s comics".

By the end of the 2000s, we're heavy into the movies and tv shows and the first five years of the 2010s have generally been connected with small screen, big screen, and all rumors of both. 2011 is the full DC reboot... and the first half of the decade has been signficantly impacted by that.

I get where you're coming from and would add this:

previous to the 1980s/1990s you had really sharply defined ages. We could argue about exactly what events led to the big industry wide shifts such as the starts of the golden and silver ages, but you can pin it down pretty easily because the shifts are palpable. That's not really the case anymore and hasn't been for a while - content is fragmented and there is all kinds of stuff available all the time. In a sense we are past "ages" and that's where decades get to be an easier way to look at it.

Suicide Squad #48 had died down for a little, but it's back and poppin' now with the Mark Hamil news as well as The Killing Joke.

The prices people are paying for "quarter books" these days is just astonishing.

If someone had told anyone on the CGC board ten years ago that people would be paying $80 for a raw copy of Suicide Squad #48, the laughter would have gone on for 5 years.

PS: Regarding "ages"....up until *about* 1989-1991, there were only two "ages": Gold and Silver.

Gold was defined in the 60's, and Silver was defined in the 70's.

"Bronze" didn't become a "thing" until the late 80's/early 90's...before that, it was just modern.

So, I'm not quite so sure those who say they "knew" that the Bronze era ended and Copper began as it happened, or shortly thereafter, are accurate. The nomenclature wasn't in place, sure, but beyond that, there was no clearly defined anything after 1956/1961, certainly not in a way that people would agree with as a consensus.

"Bronze" was essentially defined throughout the 90's, and was "settled" as starting in 1970 with Conan and GL #76. But those, of course, are slightly more arbitrary and less groundbreaking than Showcase #4 and FF #1.

The end of Bronze, beginning of "Copper" and certainly the end of "Copper" is a debate that goes on to this very day.

It really is time to abandon the "named" ages and stick with "80's, 90's, 2000's, Teens, etc."

PS: Regarding "ages"....up until *about* 1989-1991, there were only two "ages": Gold and Silver.

Gold was defined in the 60's, and Silver was defined in the 70's.

"Bronze" didn't become a "thing" until the late 80's/early 90's...before that, it was just modern.

So, I'm not quite so sure those who say they "knew" that the Bronze era ended and Copper began as it happened, or shortly thereafter, are accurate. The nomenclature wasn't in place, sure, but beyond that, there was no clearly defined anything after 1956/1961, certainly not in a way that people would agree with as a consensus.

"Bronze" was essentially defined throughout the 90's, and was "settled" as starting in 1970 with Conan and GL #76. But those, of course, are slightly more arbitrary and less groundbreaking than Showcase #4 and FF #1.

The end of Bronze, beginning of "Copper" and certainly the end of "Copper" is a debate that goes on to this very day.

It really is time to abandon the "named" ages and stick with "80's, 90's, 2000's, Teens, etc."

I love my collection of 'teens'

Suicide Squad #48 had died down for a little, but it's back and poppin' now with the Mark Hamil news as well as The Killing Joke.

The prices people are paying for "quarter books" these days is just astonishing.

If someone had told anyone on the CGC board ten years ago that people would be paying $80 for a raw copy of Suicide Squad #48, the laughter would have gone on for 5 years.

There's been someone flushing an incomplete set on Kijiji (craigslist) locally since June, issues 2-47 (no 23), and a couple in the 50's. At least one person knew what to pull out...

All the same, that's a disgusting price.

My brother pulled this book out of a box at the Boston Comic Con, it was super sharp. He asked the guy how much it is? He said "You know actually I'm going to wait until it's a $50 book, I'm not gonna sell it, 1st Oracle" My bro said That would be Suicide Squad 23" We both left and went to another table haha screw that guy

Book hasn't been a quarter for years. I bought one about 4 years ago for Overstreet price at the time, maybe $4. Sold it recently for a handsome bit more. Sold with a couple of hours. Must have been priced aggressively. :baiting:

uhg, i passed on one at a flea market a few weeks ago because it was about a fine and didn't want to pay 75 cents for it. i bought a stack of other SS books in better shape that nobody here was interested in.

with that said, i know i have other copies, but where??

needless to say, i didn't know it was anything more than a joker issue, which usually gets me interested. maybe the flea market guy still has it if i pop my head in next weekend. unbagged, i'm sure it is in great shape now

Edited by the blob

Book hasn't been a quarter for years. I bought one about 4 years ago for Overstreet price at the time, maybe $4. Sold it recently for a handsome bit more. Sold with a couple of hours. Must have been priced aggressively. :baiting:

Thank you, Mr. Literal. :applause:

Thank you, Mr. Literal. :applause:

(shrug) it's always been one of the more valuable books in the run, that and #23. I remember passing on #1 many times.

I'm seeing many more copies of Incredible Hulk #449 sell on ebay for a couple of Abraham's and I'm not sure why. Thought I would drop the 411 here and see if there is something up or just nostalgia hitting. 1st Thunderbolts. Ring a bell to anyone? hm

people love art