• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Suicide Squad #48 had died down for a little, but it's back and poppin' now with the Mark Hamil news as well as The Killing Joke.

The prices people are paying for "quarter books" these days is just astonishing.

If someone had told anyone on the CGC board ten years ago that people would be paying $80 for a raw copy of Suicide Squad #48, the laughter would have gone on for 5 years.

Book hasn't been a quarter for years. I bought one about 4 years ago for Overstreet price at the time, maybe $4. Sold it recently for a handsome bit more. Sold with a couple of hours. Must have been priced aggressively. :baiting:

Thank you, Mr. Literal. :applause:

(shrug) it's always been one of the more valuable books in the run, that and #23. I remember passing on #1 many times.

When you say "always", what do you mean? Since it came out?

That's not the case. Suicide Squad was a drek title that was cancelled after 5 years and 66 issues. I was never a hit, and always sold in very low numbers. Cap City orders for #23 were 11,500. The best sales the title ever had was the early 1990 Batman crossover, starting with issue #40. After that, back down. Cap City orders for #48 were 11,550, with a tiny boost from the Joker cover.

Then, the title sat in obscurity for nearly a couple of decades.

The first CGC sale of #23 recorded at GPA was for a 9.4 ($47) in 2005. Between 2005 and 2012, there were 6 total sales in all grades.

Sure, that it has "always been one of the more valuable books of the run" may be true, but it's like saying "Justice League #18 is one of the more valuable books of the JL (1987) run." The whole run didn't have much value for a long time, and Oracle wasn't much of anything until just a couple of years ago.

So, I think it's safe to call it a "quarter book" if it actually WAS a quarter book from 1991 to 2012 or thereabouts.

if we want to be literal, when the heck was the last time you actually saw a 25 cent box?

we've got an LCS that has the 25 cent box sale about once a year. mostly stuff they've waaaayyyy overbought in the past 5-10 years. no bags and boards, but I still pulled a quite a few NM copies, some that retail currently for 5-10$ per, and also got some nice hole filler/reading materials. I think that was March. Another store locally has half off their 50 cent bin 2x a year too. But their stuff is trash.

if we want to be literal, when the heck was the last time you actually saw a 25 cent box?

There are quarter boxes at every convention. They may be going out of style, but they still exist.

Like quarter slots. :grin:

There are quarter boxes at every convention. They may be going out of style, but they still exist.

ok, i have not been going to shows as much, so nycc is probably not a good example, and yes, there was a guy with a few quarter boxes who was selling toys, so he didn't care and let me have as many comics as I could carry for the $3 I had left, but really, they are practically extinct and the comics were mostly junk. maybe some 50 cent boxes here and there. i have not been in a shop with a 25 cent box in years. it's all $1 boxes, 15 for $10 or whatever. one shop does do 12 comic grab bags for $4.00 a pop, which is getting close to 25 cents i guess.

Well, it must be nice to live everywhere... else.

Well, it must be nice to live everywhere... else.

Hey, don't blame me if your dollar's sinking faster than a toonie in a glass of Molson's in a Red Green party game.

That's what you get for living in Canadia, where a Canadian quarter is worth about 2.7 US cents.

:D

Suicide Squad #48 had died down for a little, but it's back and poppin' now with the Mark Hamil news as well as The Killing Joke.

Crazy, the Joker only appears in 5 panels (?) from a Killing Joke flashback & the art is horrendous. I think the cover's pretty nice though... (shrug)

The first issue in that series has been doing well for awhile. Slabbed 9.6's have a GPA average of $156 the past 12 months. 9.4's have been averaging $117. Raw copies have been getting good results too.

Hardy har

You must be a hit with the ladies :baiting:

Yes, but mainly the Canadian ones. They fancy the manly lumberjacks types.

Isn't the Winter of Dan over yet...? hm

I suppose I do have to take that down. The winter of Dan was pretty choice and the summer of Dan has been excellent as well ;) but yes it's a bit like a Christmas tree in March by now

One of my local shops has 3 quarter boxes that they regularly replenish. Most of the stuff is low grade major titles and 90's stuff, but I do find some things now and then.

My opinion (which means precisely Richard) on the ages:

Golden Age - 1938-1954

-Rationale: Action Comics #1 thru the advent of the Comics Code Authority

Silver Age - 1954-1973

-Rationale: Comics Code Authority thru the Death of Gwen Stacy

Bronze Age - 1973-1986

-Rationale: Death of Gwen Stacy thru Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Copper Age - 1986-1993

Rationale - Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns thru The Death of Superman

Chromium Age - 1993-2003

Rationale - The Death of Superman thru Walking Dead #1

Celluloid Age - 2003-Present

Rationale - Walking Dead #1 thru the advent of major comic-book movies and television shows

My opinion (which means precisely Richard) on the ages:

Golden Age - 1938-1954

-Rationale: Action Comics #1 thru the advent of the Comics Code Authority

Silver Age - 1954-1973

-Rationale: Comics Code Authority thru the Death of Gwen Stacy

Bronze Age - 1973-1986

-Rationale: Death of Gwen Stacy thru Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Copper Age - 1986-1993

Rationale - Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns thru The Death of Superman

Chromium Age - 1993-2003

Rationale - The Death of Superman thru Walking Dead #1

Celluloid Age - 2003-Present

Rationale - Walking Dead #1 thru the advent of major comic-book movies and television shows

:takeit: VERY nice !

Since this is all so mushy I like using clean decades and cover prices as my guide.

10 cent precode up to 1955 is GA

Showcase 4 is the book for me. Otherwise, small 10c vs large 10c is a good guide. Atlas corner tag turning into Marvel is good for me too.

10-12 cent w code up to 1969 is SA. I use GL 76, ASM 90, Jimmy Olsen 134, FF 100, Xmen 66 are good break points for me.

15 to 40 cent is Bronze 1970-1980 Not an easy end point. ASM 200 or 238, Wolverine 1, Xmen 143, FF 200, Later marvel #1s like Rom, She Hulk. Same with DC Teen Titans and some of the early Limited series.

50 cent-$1.50 1980 to 1990 Copper Spawn 1, Xmen 1, Spiderman 1, Superman 75 as the end points are about right.

1990s on up Modern - basically anything with slick paper and computerized looking coloring.

I'm good with Walking Dead 1 as the break point within Modern. Anything that is post 1990 and non superhero and good is Modern II to me.

Edited by ft88