• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

My mind has a tough time considering anything with a 60 cent cover price bronze (and, frankly, I am on the fence about 50 centers) even though I know bronze has expanded and expanded like how a "good neighborhood" name is being used to describe 5-10 blocks into neighboring "not as good" neighborhoods.

Yeah, it was those crazy, short-sighted OS advisors who didn't want to wait for the Copper books to explode and artificially forward-dated the BA in order to sell off the crates full of 1982-84 books they had languishing in the warehouse.

It's sad really.

yeah, but did any of that actually happen (1982-84 books suddenly becoming liquid)? true, it does make it easier to justify listing those books on ebay (or here) under bronze. when i was selling BA grab bags on ebay it gave me a few more years of books to draw from (although my auctions stated only a small % of the books would be from those years) given that, who am i to question OPG's fuidelines?

i think a lot of collectors were still thinking along the lines of cover prices and there was still plenty of cheap stuff with 35 and 40 cent cover prices out there. did calling a 60 cent cover price book from 1983 "bronze" really make it a $3 book all of a sudden?

to the extent those 1982-84 non-key books went up in price it was in a slab, with a 9.8 attached to it

My mind has a tough time considering anything with a 60 cent cover price bronze (and, frankly, I am on the fence about 50 centers) even though I know bronze has expanded and expanded like how a "good neighborhood" name is being used to describe 5-10 blocks into neighboring "not as good" neighborhoods.

Some aggressive pricing here!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supergirl-8-1st-App-Reaction-1983-Key-Villain-New-TV-Show-SUPER-RARE-NM-M-9-8-/181813900834?hash=item2a54f3f622

On the other hand, it is the only stand alone copy for sale this minute

I think he's just trying to get a "Reaction" out of people. What a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supergirl-8-1st-App-Reaction-1983-Key-Villain-New-TV-Show-SUPER-RARE-NM-M-9-8-/181813900834?hash=item2a54f3f622

Wow even yiddish slang gets the "spoon" censor, haha. Starts with a P, end with a z

Wow even yiddish slang gets the "spoon" censor, haha. Starts with a P, end with a z

A little worse than yutz ? (shrug)

Where's the line? How do we determine when its ok to use our abilities, education, knowledge, experience and other resources to make money?

Same old song, get a new line already.

Making money is fine, but both parties should benefit. If you walk away from a deal knowing you fleeced someone, you shouldn't have done it. Capitalism says that's okay, but these are $5 funny books. Have a heart.

Where's the line? How do we determine when its ok to use our abilities, education, knowledge, experience and other resources to make money?

Making money is fine, but both parties should benefit. If you walk away from a deal knowing you fleeced someone, you shouldn't have done it. Capitalism says that's okay, but these are $5 funny books. Have a heart.

Just curious, does this thinking apply to dealers and LCS's, people who's business it is to know the product they sell for a living?

Your LCS has a NM Preacher 1 for $15 bucks, you gonna pass and tell him it's under priced? I don't tell my bartender they are not charging enough for a shot of Goose, it's their job to know that, it's my job to enjoy the great price on Vodka.

Just curious, does this thinking apply to dealers and LCS's, people who's business it is to know the product they sell for a living?

Your LCS has a NM Preacher 1 for $15 bucks, you gonna pass and tell him it's under priced? I don't tell my bartender they are not charging enough for a shot of Goose, it's their job to know that, it's my job to enjoy the great price on Vodka.

I agree. You need to know what you're selling... If you don't, whatever you get is what you deserve.

Especially nowadays... It's so easy to educate yourself.

Nowhere in this are we talking about selling too cheap. What's happening is that people are over paying for a book like Supergirl 8, where the seller knows the buyer is underwater as soon as he walks away with it. I'm saying the asking price isn't fair, and the seller is treating that buyer like a mark, rather than a valued customer. Long term, everyone loses.

I tend to agree with you, and we are in the minority.

This subject comes up often and according to some of our most experienced, and respected sellers,it's always the buyer's burden.

Sellers with books set at sky high BIN, waiting for a fish, are defended. I agree a seller can ask whatever they want for a book, but it's not good for the hobby in my opinion.

Edited by MediumLover

I tend to agree with you, and we are in the minority.

This subject comes up often and according to some of our most experienced, and respected sellers,it's always the buyer's burden.

Sellers with books set at sky high BIN, waiting for a fish, are defended. I agree a seller can ask whatever they want for a book, but it's not good for the hobby in my opinion.

It's not a "hobby" to dealers...it's their jobs.

I agree-ish that it could hurt people who are dipping their toes in the water of collecting but I don't totally buy it. I've over payed for SO many things and all that does is make me more aware of what I'm doing and trying my damnedest to educate myself to not have it happen again. That's anecdotal but hopefully other people are also doing this if they feel like they got got.

You guys have good intentions but it borders on dogma about what should and shouldn't be done with comics.

99% of comics sold new today (w or w/o some sort of hype) are sold for $3-$5 and worth $1 within three months

Is anyone being scammed? Is everyone? Is the absolute best? I'm not sure. But who am I to judge these people who have chosen to make their money this way? They're just selling comics man.

Nor is pressing or micro-trimming, but that hasn't stopped anyone. Point is, it's not necessarily just a hobby to everyone.

Nor is pressing or micro-trimming, but that hasn't stopped anyone. Point is, it's not necessarily just a hobby to everyone.

I wonder at what point will pressing become frowned upon? To me it is restoration. I have several books that would be incredible if pressed but it just feels like restoration (and honestly I'm scared to take the chance and accidentally getting the book ruined).

Will there be any long term issues from pressing? (I've been told that there are chemicals involved in the process).

In other collectible hobbies that I'm involved in, such as vintage Star Wars toys, some people use lighter fluid to remove price stickers. I'm on the side that believes this could end up with some negative side effects down the road (and that using a flamable liquid on your cardback is a terrible idea all around).

Like you said, it's not just a hobby to everyone. So some who seek profit will do whatever it takes to maximize their return. But will this all come around and change things later, when there's fewer virgin books in the decent grades? (because so many people want to do whatever it takes to bump them up a point)

Id love to know how they justify that price in this universe.

Asking 400-500% over a going NM price with nothing to justify your price.

Ridiculous. Tells me all I need to know.

Its not different then those stupid Comic Book Sites and Blogs doing the same thing. They are too stupid to understand the concept of a "Conflict of Interest".

Edited by Fastballspecial

:cry:

I wonder at what point will pressing become frowned upon? To me it is restoration. I have several books that would be incredible if pressed but it just feels like restoration (and honestly I'm scared to take the chance and accidentally getting the book ruined).

Pressing IS restoration. It is, however, what is called "market acceptable" restoration, which is why, like coin dipping, it doesn't get a purple label when done properly.

Will there be any long term issues from pressing? (I've been told that there are chemicals involved in the process).
\

I don't know of anyone using chemicals to press books. It's basically just heat, pressure, and water.

Will this eventually have long term issues? Depends on the book and what's done to it.

In other collectible hobbies that I'm involved in, such as vintage Star Wars toys, some people use lighter fluid to remove price stickers. I'm on the side that believes this could end up with some negative side effects down the road (and that using a flamable liquid on your cardback is a terrible idea all around).

Like you said, it's not just a hobby to everyone. So some who seek profit will do whatever it takes to maximize their return. But will this all come around and change things later, when there's fewer virgin books in the decent grades? (because so many people want to do whatever it takes to bump them up a point)

I guess a majority of the Mile High Collection is restored too...:) Pressure is pressure no matter if it was intentional or not.