• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

should be at least a $15 book IMHO. DD doesn't have too many developed enemies.

It just hasn't been a relative title for years. I hope the show changes that, villains in DD have always been more on the lame side.

Daredevil, with a few notable exceptions, has always been on the lame side

:o

Easy, now... DD's probably had the best stories of any mainstream character over the last 15 years, from the Bendis run, into Brubaker, and then Waid.

Perhaps, but before that it was mostly junk. Daredevil has to rank as the #1 most unecessary major(?) character in the Marvel universe. The Marvel Universe would not be diminished had DD never been created

It just hasn't been a relative title for years. I hope the show changes that, villains in DD have always been more on the lame side.

Easy, now... DD's probably had the best stories of any mainstream character over the last 15 years, from the Bendis run, into Brubaker, and then Waid.

Perhaps, but before that it was mostly junk. Daredevil has to rank as the #1 most unecessary major(?) character in the Marvel universe. The Marvel Universe would not be diminished had DD never been created

Seconded

Based on the number of relaunches, the market begs to differ with you. :baiting:

its entirely possible that you've drawn too close a correlation between story quality vs the number of relaunches.

The stories have been okay. I will take the Snyder Batman run over any of these DD story arcs.........

The Bendis and Brubaker runs were much better than okay. I could agree with the Waid runs being okay. Largely because there were too many spots were it was very so-so.

I don't understand the relevance of the Batman story being better than the DD stories. Not looking for all the all-time best stories. Seems a little too DC vs Marvel.

Patrick

Based on the number of relaunches, the market begs to differ with you. :baiting:

You have market confused with corporate strategy.

I'll bite. :grin:

DD has more consistent, and better stories, over the life of the character than Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America, to name a few.

In fact, I'd put 'Born Again' near the very top of all Marvel Universe stories, and the first Miller run takes a back seat to few others as well.

Oh, and yes, overall, DD's villains are lame, and Typhoid Mary is cringeworthy.

X-Men #8 (The Jim Lee series) First appearance of BellaDonna who will be a female lead in the upcoming Gambit movie. There is a crappola ton of them out there but the same can be said about any of these early 90's X books. Another nice surplus book that you can squeeze a few more dollars out of.

Ahead of DD for most unnecessary Marvel character:

Dr. Strange

Hawkeye

Luke Cage and Iron Fist

Black Panther

Or is your definition of major that they had their own title before 1965? Kind of smacks of what you collect sucks.

Dr. Strange

Hawkeye

Luke Cage and Iron Fist

Black Panther

Or is your definition of major that they had their own title before 1965? Kind of smacks of what you collect sucks.

I'm not sure any comic is really that necessary. But these guys rounded out the universe in more ways than you think.

Dd and prof x were heroes with disabilities

Cage was the first heavily featured solo African American hero

Iron fist was the next step having the first strong interracial hero partnership and interracial hero romance.

Doc strange fit a time when things were going magic/horror

Panther was the first black hero, and shown to be an equal, and royalty even.

We forget that stuff now, but America wasn't that progressive then, and these were things that would have made you think about stuff a bit.

its entirely possible that you've drawn too close a correlation between story quality vs the number of relaunches.

The stories have been okay. I will take the Snyder Batman run over any of these DD story arcs.........

The Bendis and Brubaker runs were much better than okay. I could agree with the Waid runs being okay. Largely because there were too many spots were it was very so-so.

I don't understand the relevance of the Batman story being better than the DD stories. Not looking for all the all-time best stories. Seems a little too DC vs Marvel.

Patrick

I do not intend it to be DC vs Marvel, just that the DD runs were not the best stories IMHO. Part of it could be my bias towards the character (i.e. I am in the DD is lame camp), but there were other books during that timeframe that I liked better.

The Brubaker DD run was good to very good, but just like his Cap runs they leave you wanting more as they tend to lose some of their momentum along the way. That being said, I liked the arcs in the Brubaker Cap run that I read better than hi DD. His style reminds me of Geoff Johns - they start out great but but they do not finish as strong for whatever reason.

Edited by kimik

Not at all. Marvel, and DC, have the same strategy - as sales drop on a book they shake up the creative team and issue a new #1. It has been this way since the Heroes Reborn relaunch in the 90s. Prior to that they just changed the teams and kept the numbering consistent.

Dr. Strange

Hawkeye

Luke Cage and Iron Fist

Black Panther

I'm not sure any comic is really that necessary. But these guys rounded out the universe in more ways than you think.

Dd and prof x were heroes with disabilities

Cage was the first heavily featured solo African American hero

Iron fist was the next step having the first strong interracial hero partnership and interracial hero romance.

Doc strange fit a time when things were going magic/horror

Panther was the first black hero, and shown to be an equal, and royalty even.

We forget that stuff now, but America wasn't that progressive then, and these were things that would have made you think about stuff a bit.

I can see the argument that DD is unnecessary re the Marvel Universe. In terms of plot, anyway. But in terms of artistic achievement, I tend to consider DD probably one of if not the most important Marvel characters.

If that's the case, Moon Knight should be the most unecessary character. Batman>DD>Moon Knight.

Correct, Moon Knight was unnecessary.

If that's the case, Moon Knight should be the most unecessary character. Batman>DD>Moon Knight.

Correct, Moon Knight was unnecessary.

Not so much when he was introduced as a nemesis for Werewolf by Night. He was an interesting character in that context and made multiple appearances.

Not at all. Marvel, and DC, have the same strategy - as sales drop on a book they shake up the creative team and issue a new #1. It has been this way since the Heroes Reborn relaunch in the 90s. Prior to that they just changed the teams and kept the numbering consistent.

hm How often has DC cancelled a title only to immediately start a new (essentially) identical title?

Marvel is the one with a phobia of double-digit issue numbers.

hm How often has DC cancelled a title only to immediately start a new (essentially) identical title?

Marvel is the one with a phobia of double-digit issue numbers.

Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Justice League and Suicide Squad (New 52 and New) come to mind right away...........

Edited by kimik