• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, the blob said:

It was also a time issue. my goal in going to a show would be to buy enough books to flip over the next month or two to pay for my day and have a big chunk left for my collection/inventory. The flips generally needed to be $10-50 books. If I hit dollar box guys first and then the $2 boxes most of the gems would be gone. There were some $10 flips in the $1 boxes, sure, but rarely better, for me more like books that might need to age more like a big run of the bone books, or more generally books from 98 - 01 I like to buy or late bronze early copper in nice shape

I did that for years, but the last few years it much more difficult due to a number of things. All the apps have leveled the playing field for dealers now. There is a huge influx of buyers now doing what others have been doing for decades. Its much more competitive the last 5 years or so. I used to go to Cons and leave making $500+ easily for years. Now its much more difficult due to raising prices at cons have driven out comic dealers and those that are left no longer carry cheaper books because they have to cover higher rent. They just announced delaying the 1099 for $600 so it will continue. I was hoping to weed out many.

On 12/24/2022 at 2:29 PM, the blob said:

Sure I am thinking more about devoting a ton of table space to dollar books. If donut is selling 3 longs of $5 books that’s $3-4k right there, very viable, mix in better stuff…

Your market determines that really. My area is very cheap so they like $1 books been told that over and over again. Guy next to me sells 5 to 6 long boxes of $1 books each show plus some of his priced books. He buys them very cheap and has a huge buyer list. I am just happy to bleed off him next to him. $1 books for me are just bleed offs from nice collections I bought or I wanted 50 books from this 250 book collection and the rest are just recouping my cost in the $1 box.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/25/2022 at 10:30 AM, fastballspecial said:

Your market determines that really. My area is very cheap so they like $1 books been told that over and over again. Guy next to me sells 5 to 6 long boxes of $1 books each show plus some of his priced books. He buys them very cheap and has a huge buyer list. I am just happy to bleed off him next to him. $1 books for me are just bleed offs from nice collections I bought or I wanted 50 books from this 250 book collection and the rest are just recouping my cost in the $1 box.

Good point. The market will definitely have an impact on what you should take to shows. We have seen the economy recover here in Alberta with the rebound in oil and natgas prices so people have more disposable income again. As a result, they are spending more on run books. 

I used to take $1 and then $2 boxes to cover table costs. Now I would rather take common SA/BA/CA books that have a higher price point as they are selling well. I am shying away from taking keys and early SA now as it is getting too costly to replace. I am building up longs of those books for a few years from now instead.

On 12/27/2022 at 2:24 PM, kimik said:

Good point. The market will definitely have an impact on what you should take to shows. We have seen the economy recover here in Alberta with the rebound in oil and natgas prices so people have more disposable income again. As a result, they are spending more on run books. 

I used to take $1 and then $2 boxes to cover table costs. Now I would rather take common SA/BA/CA books that have a higher price point as they are selling well. I am shying away from taking keys and early SA now as it is getting too costly to replace. I am building up longs of those books for a few years from now instead.

Oh yeah in your area I am sure its much more lucrative with that industry. Like I said early I will know more of the market in March for shows. 
Right now I could add 10 spots and sell them out within a week. Now the rest of dealers would kill me, but that shows the abudance of dealers
wanting to do shows. The recently ruling on 1099s in the US will change that some this year as they wont panic as much. Personally I was hoping
to wipe out someone online competition, but all have to wait another year.

On 12/27/2022 at 8:36 PM, divad said:

No offense meant at all, but do you guys also work full-time jobs? And if yes, what kind of work allows you time enough to do this? Cheers!:peace:

Yes I've worked full time the entire time I sold comics over 25+ years now. They put my kids thru college, paid for braces, and other minor stuff over the years.  Any type of work would allow this as long as you know how to maximize your time. I miss turbo lister though that tool was great. Honestly many sellers it just gets that way organically over time. I didn't sell any of comics until I was my early to mid 20s. I went to shows for years buying for fun. When you have a family, debt, or college loans it becomes a very low cost efficient way to add part time income. 

On 12/27/2022 at 7:36 PM, divad said:

No offense meant at all, but do you guys also work full-time jobs? And if yes, what kind of work allows you time enough to do this? Cheers!:peace:

I work full time, but what it comes done to is what you do in your spare time and how many hours of sleep you really need (my work day starts at 6 am when I get up with my son to have breakfast before he heads to his hockey academy, and usually ends 12:00 - 1:00 am after catching up on e-mail/reading reports). It does not take much to sell books online or even better via auction houses (they do all of he work). I started selling at shows in 1998 while in university and have continued since then. I guess you could say it is a habbit/addiction now instead of a hobby. lol  To be honest, some people watch TV to unwind, others read, for me it is the mindless routine of comics.

Edited by kimik

I'm finding it harder to find the time to sell as my work has become more time consuming and my son was born.  I'm definitely not doing this as efficiently as I could be but I'm struggling to find ways to make more of my time while still being considerate to buyers in my listings (grading, good scans, lists of defects).  I keep toying with the idea of just shipping off short boxes at a time to MCS but, I don't know...That removes part of the fun of the hobby.  

Edited by Beastfeast

Awesome. I have found a few Booster Gold #1 Canadian newsstand variants recently. They were cheap so I nabbed them hoping Gunn might do something with the character after Blue Beetle.

Edited by kimik

On 12/31/2022 at 3:27 PM, fastballspecial said:

Never understand why Booster Gold 1 sells for so much. 
High grade is pulling $50+ raw now. Mid 80s book plenty of copies.

I was selling that for $60 2-3 years ago. It’s been a steady seller for several yrs.. there’s enough demand to counterbalance the supply 

Edited by littledoom

On 12/31/2022 at 9:36 PM, littledoom said:

I was selling that for $60 2-3 years ago. It’s been a steady seller for several yrs.. there’s enough demand to counterbalance the supply 

Yes Ive sold a few over the years I just dont get the value. Alot of books I understand the demand.
This one has made me scratch my head for years.

For what it's worth, I love Booster Gold. The Justice League International series from the 80's is my favorite superhero comic, and Booster was a huge part of that. His solo series wasn't nearly as fun, but there's still some nostalgia there. Dan Jurgens continues to work at DC, and apparently has some editorial pull, as he continues to work on books, and Booster continues to make appearances. He may not be an A-lister, but DC has bothered to carry him along for pretty much every line-wide revamp. He had a solo series in the 00's, starred in JLI in the New 52, had starring roles in 52 (the series) and high profile minis like Heroes in Crisis and most recently The Human Target, as well as last year's Blue & Gold miniseries with Blue Beetle. He's been an action figure several times over, having appeared in Justice League Unlimited, Batman Brave and Bold, etc. Again, not an A-lister, but definitely a character that DC has put some time into, with a devoted fanbase. There was a series rumored to be coming to SyFy Channel for many years, but I think that's dead, right? Anyway, yeah, I'm a longtime hardcore Booster fan, and I'm not the only one. We're out here!