• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2013 book club

701 posts in this topic

Just re-read Swamp Thing #1 through 10. Still HIGHLY recommended for those who haven't. Bernie Wrightson did it great :grin:

Also, Giant Size Chillers/Dracula #1 through 5.

Total for the year so far: 15

All 70 issues of Tomb of Dracula in the last ten days, plus Squee #1-4 and JtHM #1-7. Been a busy week for reading! :grin:

Total so far: 96

Wow really busy

Home recovering from surgery. :P

I'll run out of books to read at this rate...

I've been counting and so far I'm only at 20 this month! :o

I've also been reading some novels so I don't have so much time for comics... Still I'm hoping to pick up the pace tomorrow since I'll be home all day (there's a big storm here in Portugal).

Special thanks to boardies "Paperheart" and "Skypinkblu" for these books. They were the prize I won in the Holiday Raffle thread this year. (thumbs u

Just read the entire Dynamo 5 series:

Dynamo 5 #'s 0-25

Dynamo 5 Annual

Dynamo 5 Sins of the Father 1-5

Dynamo 5 Holiday Special

I LOVED the series! (thumbs u

The premise is the worlds greatest hero Captain Dynamo is found dead in a hotel room. Assasinated from being poisoned. His widow discovers that while he was the worlds greatest hero, he was also cheating on her with LOTS of different women.

She then forms a team by searching out all the kids Captain Dynamo fathered with other women. Thus forming a new group of heroes called Dynamo 5. All the members of the team are brothers and sisters, and each of them has a superpower Captain Dynamo had.

The comic is a lot better than it sounds. The issues flow really well, all the characters have their moments to shine, and all of them are developed in great detail. There was a gimmic done in issue #25 that I didn't like at first, but lead to something really interesting at the end of the Sins of the Father mini.

I wish they were still making this comic. I'd be adding it to my pull box if it was.

Total: 53

Special thanks to boardies "Paperheart" and "Skypinkblu" for these books. They were the prize I won in the Holiday Raffle thread this year. (thumbs u

Dynamo 5 #'s 0-25

Dynamo 5 Annual

Dynamo 5 Holiday Special

The premise is the worlds greatest hero Captain Dynamo is found dead in a hotel room. Assasinated from being poisoned. His widow discovers that while he was the worlds greatest hero, he was also cheating on her with LOTS of different women.

She then forms a team by searching out all the kids Captain Dynamo fathered with other women. Thus forming a new group of heroes called Dynamo 5. All the members of the team are brothers and sisters, and each of them has a superpower Captain Dynamo had.

The comic is a lot better than it sounds. The issues flow really well, all the characters have their moments to shine, and all of them are developed in great detail. There was a gimmic done in issue #25 that I didn't like at first, but lead to something really interesting at the end of the Sins of the Father mini.

I wish they were still making this comic. I'd be adding it to my pull box if it was.

:applause:

Dynamo 5 #'s 0-25

Dynamo 5 Annual

Dynamo 5 Holiday Special

Excellent review - I want to read this book now. :applause:

All-Star Western #0 - We learn about the origin of this Jonah Hex, nice read.

All-Star Western #13-14.. Robert Louis Stevenson's tale of madness makes its way to Gotham, as I already said, I like Jonah Hex but I wish he would leave Gotham already! I get enough Gotham from all the Bat books!

I-Vampire #12-13.. Stormwatch make an appearance and Mary becomes... well I won't spoilt it. I love the artwork on this title and I am still enjoying the story.

Total: 27

Dynamo 5 #'s 0-25

Dynamo 5 Annual

Dynamo 5 Holiday Special

:applause:

Thanks again!!

Couple more books from "Paperheart" and "Skypinkblu" Holiday Raffle prize.

Wolverine Origins 21-25.

It's basically Wolverine vs. Deadpool with art by Steve Dillon (Preacher). It's pretty funny stuff that includes Deadpool dropping a piano on Wolverine and Wolverine cutting Deadpools fingers off so he can't use guns. The fight itself between Wolverine and Deadpool is great. (thumbs u

Deadpool kind of wins, but then Daken shows up and Wolverine reveals the whole thing was just to draw Daken out. Ugh on the ending...

Total: 58

Animal Man #12 - The start of the war on the Rot. Wish I had picked up Animal Man when it first started.

Swamp Thing #13 - The war continues although a little confusing at first but a nice twist in the tale.

Swamp Thing Annual #1 - We get some background on how Alec Holland and Abby Arcane met, nice issue which fleshes out the story a little more.

Total: 32

22 days into the year and I've decided I'm going to join in as well.

My modern reading is fairly slim these days so my reading is going to be mainly copper and bronze stuff.

All that said, gonna start with a few moderns.

All-New X-Men 4 - 6

I've been singing it's praises over in Modern since it started. A fantastic read.

Revival 5

The only other read on my current pull list. A wonderfully understated horror. Beautiful artwork. Fantastic dialogue and a -script which although slow, draws you and and makes you want to read more.

I don't read Spider-Man. Haven't read any of his books since the early 90's. I've found his continuous retcons, rebrandings, re-jiggings and overall character assasination to be an appaling put off. I guess his featuring in every post in Modern and General and the overall furor in sales perked my interest (Yup - I'm a sucker for as marketing ploy) The following were bought from Comixology for a little light toilet reading

ASM 698 - 700

Superior Spider-Man 1

Despite the initially absurdity of the concept, I actually enjoyed these books. I found 698 an especially entertaining read once I'd read the final page. An immediate re-read made me see the entire issue in a completely different light.

Punk Rock Jesus 1-3

Picked the series up on a whim. Incredibly entertaining. Looking forward to reading the rest later this week

Ka-Zar The Savage 1-34

Admittedly a guilty pleasure, and not one which is especially well written or drawn. Plenty of Shanna eye-candy on show and a final issue which is genius in it's utter ridiculousness

Not even sure why I'm bothering but,

KZ is zapped out of the comicbook world and into the dimension of cancelled characters.

TOTAL = 45