• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official eBay Drank My Milkshake Thread

433 posts in this topic

Ok folks...Advice appreciated on how to handle this guy...

He bought 21 books from me. He got them at $0.99 each. I combine shipping and packed them up SECURELY (boxed) and sent him the invoice. Because it is over 1 Kg, it can't go tracked packet USA. It has to go Expedited.

This is his message to me...

Happy Canada Day! Do you have lots of fireworks like we do on July 4th?

I knew you were in Canada when I bid and that shipping is more, but I wasn't expecting $24.00! Wow! Last Canadian I bought from the shipping was about $14.00 and the seller threw in a Batman I needed for free. $24.00 brings my great $0.99 per book deal to over $2.00 per book. Any chance you can lower the shipping or throw in 2 more books to bring it back to under $2.00 per book?

What the heck! In the spirit of Canada Day and Independence Day throw in as many as you like!

Thank you!

I just obtained Top Seller status and I want to keep it so any advice would be appreciated. Regardless of the outcome, I will probably block this guy...

Regardless of how this transaction works out, it would be nice if you outed him anyway. Someone who expects multiple freebies as a matter of course from every seller sounds like a real problem buyer to me.

Maybe the last Canadian lost money on shipping, and whether or not he threw in free books has no bearing on your transaction. This is mild extortion, IMHO.

Offer to cancel the transaction if that's possible.

And PM his name, I want to black him as well, please.

:)

-slym

He bought 21 books from me. He got them at $0.99 each. I combine shipping and packed them up SECURELY (boxed) and sent him the invoice. Because it is over 1 Kg, it can't go tracked packet USA. It has to go Expedited.

I knew you were in Canada when I bid and that shipping is more, but I wasn't expecting $24.00! Wow! Last Canadian I bought from the shipping was about $14.00 and the seller threw in a Batman I needed for free. $24.00 brings my great $0.99 per book deal to over $2.00 per book. Any chance you can lower the shipping or throw in 2 more books to bring it back to under $2.00 per book?

What the heck! In the spirit of Canada Day and Independence Day throw in as many as you like!

Thank you!

I just obtained Top Seller status and I want to keep it so any advice would be appreciated. Regardless of the outcome, I will probably block this guy...

Regardless of how this transaction works out, it would be nice if you outed him anyway. Someone who expects multiple freebies as a matter of course from every seller sounds like a real problem buyer to me.

I will out this guy in a minute, just want some advice on my reply before I send it...This is what I am thinking...

Hello.

The cost is the cost. For your last order of books that cost you $14 from Canada (I believe it was from cowtowncomics) after looking through your feedback, there were only 11 comics. For your transaction with me we are talking 21 books. That is an additional 10 books compared to your last order from Canada (or 9 if you count the freebie) and that many more books is obviously going to add to the weight and size of the box required.

Because the weight is over 1 kg, it has to go Expedited USA. I can send you the actual print out from the Post Office if you doubt me as you will see from my feedback, unlike many sellers, I only charge the proper amount. I also don't chintz out on packaging b/c the last thing I want to get is a negative due to damage incurred while shipping.

As for the cost per book, including shipping, all of the books you got are worth more than $2 so you are still getting a good deal and come already bagged and boarded in brand new bags and boards.

So conversely, in the spirit of Canada Day/Independence Day, YOU could pay the actual shipping cost. Tell you what, as your books are already packed and sealed and ready to go, best I can do is knock off $2 or we can just cancel the transaction.

Thank you!

I will out this guy in a minute, just want some advice on my reply before I send it...This is what I am thinking...

Hello.

The cost is the cost. For your last order of books that cost you $14 from Canada (I believe it was from cowtowncomics) after looking through your feedback, there were only 11 comics. For your transaction with me we are talking 21 books. That is an additional 10 books compared to your last order from Canada (or 9 if you count the freebie) and that many more books is obviously going to add to the weight and size of the box required.

Because the weight is over 1 kg, it has to go Expedited USA. I can send you the actual print out from the Post Office if you doubt me as you will see from my feedback, unlike many sellers, I only charge the proper amount. I also don't chintz out on packaging b/c the last thing I want to get is a negative due to damage incurred while shipping.

As for the cost per book, including shipping, all of the books you got are worth more than $2 so you are still getting a good deal and come already bagged and boarded in brand new bags and boards.

So conversely, in the spirit of Canada Day/Independence Day, YOU could pay the actual shipping cost. Tell you what, as your books are already packed and sealed and ready to go, best I can do is knock off $2 or we can just cancel the transaction.

I think he would have paid the shipping without you knocking off $2 as you did explain yourself very well.

Thank you!

Hello.

I think he would have paid the shipping without you knocking off $2 as you did explain yourself very well.

I have not sent this reply yet. I was waiting for feedback from here... ;)

Thank you!

Hello.

Agreed.

Also, as a suggestion: don't give fear of potential negative feedback as the reason for packing the books securely. Instead, simply state that you pack securely to prevent damage in transit. His "good deal" won't be much of one if the books arrived smashed.

If you state that you're afraid of negative feedback, he may think he has you over a barrel and feel emboldened to extort you further.

Just a thought.

I had a guy recently pull this same thing. "Shipping was too much.. Blah blah. Can you throw in extras to make up for it"

I gave him the option of me refunding him his full price and we go our separate ways.

I didn't get into it with him, my 1st communication was breaking down why the shipping was the way it was. Then he wanted something else.., that's when I fully refunded him.

I've learned a lot for people on here and some of the best advice was to be short and simple with these buyers. If they aren't happy, refund them and block them and move along.

I don't even respond anymore. I just refund money, cancel the transaction, and block them. Shipping is what it is, there's nothing you can do about it. In all of my transactions I very clearly state I'm only shipping USPS Priority Mail - if you don't like it, don't buy from me.

He has not paid yet. Just sent him the invoice. This is the reply I sent.

Hello.

Thank you for your message, but the cost is the cost.

For your last order of books that you say cost you $14 from Canada - I believe it was from cowtowncomics after going through your feedback - There were only 11 comics. For your transaction with me we are talking 21 books. That is an additional 10 books compared to your last order from Canada and 9 - 10 more books is obviously going to add to the weight and size of the box required.

Because the weight is over 1 kg, it has to go Expedited USA. I can send you the actual print out from the Post Office if you doubt me. I also don't chintz out on packaging to help insure your books are not damaged in transit.

As for the cost per book, including shipping, all of the books you got are worth more than $2 so you are still getting a good deal and arrive bagged and boarded in brand new bags and boards.

So, in the spirit of Canada and Independence Day, you could just pay the actual shipping cost. If this cost is 'unacceptable' to you, the next thing I would like to do is to simply cancel the transaction.

Thank you.

I only sent one response to the buyer. The other's were just looking for opinions and the only one I sent was an amalgamation of feedback. The buyer has not replied yet.

Can the buyer leave negative feedback if he has not paid and I just go ahead and cancel it now?

I only sent one response to the buyer. The other's were just looking for opinions and the only one I sent was an amalgamation of feedback. The buyer has not replied yet.

Can the buyer leave negative feedback if he has not paid and I just go ahead and cancel it now?

Yes. Only UIDs' that are closed out for non-payment prevent a buyer from leaving feedback. If it were me, I would never have responded at all. I would let the UID file automatically on day 4, and close itself out on day 8. (It's how I have my ebay settings arranged). I give buyers 8 days to pay. No contact. ( Unless they message me with a thoughtful and respectful message asking for me to wait until a specific date they get paid, or something.) You can now have your UIDs set for 2 + 4, which means you can close them out after day 6 if you wish.

I have, however, canceled transactions where the buyer messages me and asks for it. This way, their request is in the ebay message system, and I can show it to ebay, to get any unwarranted FB removed. No one has ever been such a creep to do this to me though.

Ok, good lesson learned here. I asked b/c I have NEVER had someone be such a complete mess. Thanks everyone.

I will change my eBay settings to reflect what you have.

If this mess-head does leave negative feedback, I want some kind of record through the eBay message system that he basically tried to extort me...

I too, have cancelled transactions when the buyer has requested it and even have a buyer leave + feedback for doing so.

Oh yeah, buyer still not responded...

right now you can do what you want, he sent the message making a ludicrous request. you can report him if the deal goes sour and maybe get the negative removed, showing ebay messages to customer service, but if he leaves a negative, don't be surprised if ebay wont remove it because it the buyers "opinion".

After I sent my message back to the guy (first and only response I sent to him) he wrote back

"Hey, I never said it wasn't a good deal and I never said "or else" or anything that even hinted that I did not want the books. I'm sure you're aware of what shipping costs I normally pay, US to US. I would never hold that against you or any other "outside" sellers, Canadian or otherwise. We're all here to make our best deals. Sellers and buyers. I will be paying for the books on Tuesday, if that's ok."

I replied basically saying Tuesday was fine, so he is getting a break on when to pay. We shall see. Thanks for people's help and opinions...

I never post buyers names in a public forum. So why begin now? Because I will not be selling this person anything. Therefore they are technically not a buyer. They just clicked a buy it now winning a $125 item. They live in Canada. I do not offer to sell internationally on eBay. (Here is a different story)

mary******** (Feedback 1 btw)

I am sure they will leave me a neutral or a negative. Part of me thought about letting the sale go through. I double checked the listing by going through the relisting step to make sure that shipping internationally was not an option. I was right... no international option was available. Then I thought about it again. Send the invoice and ship it or don't ship it...

I thought about offering express global express signature confirmation fed ex as a service... but... why be an ? Instead I simply reported the buyer and sent a cancel the transaction request. I will be blocking her once this is sorted out.

My answer?

No way...

Mary, I noticed that you live in Canada. I do not ship internationally. I double checked the listing to see if there was a mistake in the shipping terms but I was right and international shipping is not an option for this item. My understanding of the eBay system is that you should not have even been able to see the listing as it would have been hidden from international buyers through their own home nation searches.

I am sending a cancellation request form to cancel the transaction immediately and will be relisting the item.

If you live in the United States then please change your eBay and paypal address to reflect this so we can do business. If not then I am sorry, I will not ship internationally.