• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Suggestions?

- Skyrim Legendary Edition

- Infamous 2

- Arkham City

- Dishonored

Excellent suggestions. Red dead redemption and skyrim both take a little bit to get into, but once you are....that's it, you are hooked. Hell even oblivion is worth checking out. Only thing about that game is that its a little more in depth and crappy graphics, which I can ignore myself

Get a free game on every modern PlayStation console this weekend

Starting today, Saturday, December 6th at 3 p.m. Eastern / 12 p.m. Pacific, you can download for free on the PSN Store:

* Need for Speed: Most Wanted (for PlayStation Vita)

* Mirror's Edge (for PlayStation 3)

* Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (for PS4)

Not much time left.

The free game offer expires tonight at 12 a.m. Pacific / 3 a.m. Eastern.

I can't play Plants vs Zombies without signing up for playstation plus. Which sucks

Strange.

How about Mirror's Edge for the PS3?

I "purchased" it for free from the PlayStation Store and it's showing in my download queue...but I haven't attempted to download it yet.

It's downloaded and installed. Haven't tried to play it yet

The only reason I want a PS3 is to play Skyrim.

*BONUS* If someone gives me that, you all will probably never see me here again!

;)

-slym

hm

Skyrim or you need the PS3 too?

Ralph Baer, “The Father of Video Games,” dies at 92

Ralph Baer, the engineer whose inventions in the 1970s and 1980s earned him the nickname “The Father of Video Games,” died at his home in Manchester, New Hampshire on Sunday. He was 92 years old.

The beloved inventor might not have the name recognition of other video game luminaries, but his work creating the Magnavox Odyssey, the first home video game console, formed the foundation of the entire industry.

Born in Germany in 1922, Baer fled the Nazi regime with his parents in 1938 and came to the United States, becoming certified as a radio technician. After a stint in Military Intelligence during World War II, Baer got a B.S. in Television Engineering from the American Television Institute of Technology in Chicago. In the 1950s, he moved up the ranks as an engineer and engineering manager at Sanders Associates, Inc., a high-tech defense contractor.

While at Sanders, Baer began to conceptualize a device which could be attached to any normal television set to play games. In a design document from September 1966, Baer wrote that “[t]he purpose of the Invention is to provide a large variety of low-cost data entry devices which can […] communicate with a monochrome or color TV set.” He outlined several potential classes of game, including board games, card games, instructional games, and action games “in which skill of operator (observation, manual dexterity) play a part."

Baer created a prototype, nicknamed the “Brown Box,” which was pitched to Magnavox and released to the public in 1972 as the Odyssey – the first ever home video game console, predating the far more famous Atari VCS (later renamed the Atari 2600) by five years.

Though its games were extremely primitive by today’s standards – the graphics were so basic that plastic overlays had to be placed on the TV screen to help differentiate from one game to the next – the Odyssey set home video gaming securely on the path that would lead directly to today's powerful systems.

He plied his trade off the screen, too. In the mid-70s, Baer teamed with Howard J. Morrison to develop Simon, the classic electronic memory game. Selling millions of units, Simon went on to become an icon of late ‘70s and early ‘80s pop culture.

Baer was amply recognized for his achievements in his lifetime. In 2006, President George W. Bush presented Baer with a National Medal of Technology. The Brown Box is part of the collection at the National Museum of American History and was exhibited at the Smithsonian Institution. Baer’s inventions have been shown at museums from Boston to Tokyo to Berlin.

Baer is survived by his sons James and Mark, his daughter Nancy, and four grandchildren.

image.jpg

In a 1977 photo, Ralph Baer watches his TV

hockey game in this double exposure. Baer

created an electronic table tennis game, the

precursor to "Pong," and led the team that

developed the Magnavox Odyssey, the first

home video game console.

image.jpg

The Magnavox Odyssey, the first home video

game console.

image.jpg

The Brown Box prototype that would later turn

into the Magnavox Odyssey.

image.jpg

Ralph Baer, the father of video games, has

died at 92. Baer won the National Medal of

Technology in 2006.

image.jpg

The inventor poses with one of his most famous

creations, the memory game Simon.

I like how kids can't figure things out right away lol

Blowing on the cartage was only part of the ritual. The other part was sliding the cartage in properly and clicking it just right...sometimes you had to only pull it out half way....Anyone remember that? :grin:

I like how kids can't figure things out right away lol

Blowing on the cartage was only part of the ritual. The other part was sliding the cartage in properly and clicking it just right...sometimes you had to only pull it out half way....Anyone remember that? :grin:

Years ago I bought an original NES system. When I came over to check it out they had it plugged in and had Mario 3 playing. Everything worked fine. They were only asking $20. It came with the gun and maybe 40 games. Brought it home thinking I came upon the steal of the century. When I plugged it in at home I got a blinking red light and no games. After some searching on Google I figured out the problem, repaired it for about $3, and it worked like new. I know the seller had some trick to get the games to play though lol

Ended up selling it for $200 with all the games and controllers and the buyer was very happy to get it.