• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Nintendo really needs to step up their A game.

Nintendo is at the very top right now when it comes to games. Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, DK Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, all this year, have all been praised. I actually just bought a Wii U because of the quality of games that have come out. Right now is the perfect time to buy a Wii U. In my opinion, at least at this very moment, Xbox and Playstation can't touch Nintendo when it comes to exclusive games

Funny you mention that... I went out to Toys R Us just to get an overall view of what is out there. The Nintendo Wii U was tempting.

I think people avoided the Wii U at release because it was "underpowered" and didn't feel "next gen" enough. Problem is... I think that's true for all 3 systems (WiiU, XBone, PS4.) As such, Wii U might end up having the best overall catalog. Not gonna lie- I've been tempted to get one too. But right now my PC is acting as my high-end rig and an NES is handling my retro needs.

So we'll see...

I agree with you on all 3 systems not feeling "next gen". It just feels that the last gen systems had plenty of life in it left, I didn't think we'd need new hardware, at least just yet. The biggest difference between generations was definitely last gen with the 360 and the PS3. People avoided the Wii U at release because of how terrible the marketing was. People thought the Wii U was just the tablet controller and thought the system were the exact same. They could've done a little better doing that, but I think right now, most people in the gaming community at least, believe that the Wii U is the better console because of it's library of games. However, I would never get a Nintendo system as my primary console.

Wait the Wii U is a next gen system? I didn't know that either. Hasn't it been out forever? I wanted to buy one but was surprised about the price. I knew it played games the regular Wii wouldn't, but I thought it was last gens system.

Nintendo games are probably the most fun, but I use my system as a media device far more than I do for actually playing games. Nintendo has to make their system something essential for the living room. Then there would be no question as to which console I bought. The one with Mario. As long as it plays Blurays in HD and can stream Hulu and Netflix.

Nintendo is at the very top right now when it comes to games. Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, DK Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, all this year, have all been praised. I actually just bought a Wii U because of the quality of games that have come out. Right now is the perfect time to buy a Wii U. In my opinion, at least at this very moment, Xbox and Playstation can't touch Nintendo when it comes to exclusive games

Funny you mention that... I went out to Toys R Us just to get an overall view of what is out there. The Nintendo Wii U was tempting.

I think people avoided the Wii U at release because it was "underpowered" and didn't feel "next gen" enough. Problem is... I think that's true for all 3 systems (WiiU, XBone, PS4.) As such, Wii U might end up having the best overall catalog. Not gonna lie- I've been tempted to get one too. But right now my PC is acting as my high-end rig and an NES is handling my retro needs.

So we'll see...

I agree with you on all 3 systems not feeling "next gen". It just feels that the last gen systems had plenty of life in it left, I didn't think we'd need new hardware, at least just yet. The biggest difference between generations was definitely last gen with the 360 and the PS3. People avoided the Wii U at release because of how terrible the marketing was. People thought the Wii U was just the tablet controller and thought the system were the exact same. They could've done a little better doing that, but I think right now, most people in the gaming community at least, believe that the Wii U is the better console because of it's library of games. However, I would never get a Nintendo system as my primary console.

I got a Wii U a couple months after launch and ended up selling it a few months ago because of the lack of games. Besides Mario, there really wasn't anything out there to play. I'd say their next biggest franchises after Mario are Zelda and Metroid and they still have not released those games.

Wait the Wii U is a next gen system? I didn't know that either. Hasn't it been out forever? I wanted to buy one but was surprised about the price. I knew it played games the regular Wii wouldn't, but I thought it was last gens system.

Nintendo games are probably the most fun, but I use my system as a media device far more than I do for actually playing games. Nintendo has to make their system something essential for the living room. Then there would be no question as to which console I bought. The one with Mario. As long as it plays Blurays in HD and can stream Hulu and Netflix.

lol

That was my point in regards to Nintendo's terrible marketing for the system. But yeah, it's been out for about 2 years now, which was the unofficial start to the next generation if you will. Things started really slow for the system but is at it's highest point right now

So we'll see...

I got a Wii U a couple months after launch and ended up selling it a few months ago because of the lack of games. Besides Mario, there really wasn't anything out there to play. I'd say their next biggest franchises after Mario are Zelda and Metroid and they still have not released those games.

This year is Nintendo's year. The games I listed in my initial post are all games that were praised highly and all released in the last year. You're right in the sense that Nintendo rarely gets any third party games, but they absolutely nail it in exclusive games compared to the exclusives that MS and Sony have right now.

Sweet.

Got my PS4 last night! Will be starting a Last of Us marathon shortly....

I just bought that game last night. Haven't played it yet. Plan on getting started before bed tonight
Ya, if you start before going to bed you won't be sleeping.

Get a free game on every modern PlayStation console this weekend

Starting today, Saturday, December 6th at 3 p.m. Eastern / 12 p.m. Pacific, you can download for free on the PSN Store:

* Need for Speed: Most Wanted (for PlayStation Vita)

* Mirror's Edge (for PlayStation 3)

* Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (for PS4)

Pretty cool, right? But, you can't put this off: when Moore took the stage at today's PlayStation Experience keynote, he said the downloads only last until midnight Pacific tomorrow night -- hopefully you have some free space on your Sony console of choice. If not, well, there's still time to make room.

Get a free game on every modern PlayStation console this weekend

Starting today, Saturday, December 6th at 3 p.m. Eastern / 12 p.m. Pacific, you can download for free on the PSN Store:

* Need for Speed: Most Wanted (for PlayStation Vita)

* Mirror's Edge (for PlayStation 3)

* Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (for PS4)

Pretty cool, right? But, you can't put this off: when Moore took the stage at today's PlayStation Experience keynote, he said the downloads only last until midnight Pacific tomorrow night -- hopefully you have some free space on your Sony console of choice. If not, well, there's still time to make room.

:(

Just looked can rent Mirrors Edge for 1.99 but its hardly free. Looks like there are a couple catches, its for rental, you can demo it for free outside rental, and you can have it for free if you are a EA user. But I think the EA thing is not much different from the Play-station Plus thing, which is why SONY hated the idea.