• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Received a substantial amount of money in Gift Cards today with more than half of the amount being a Best Buy card. I sold off all of my old 360 games except for Lego Marvel last week as I had plans to upgrade around April.

April came early. Figured it would be better to grab something sooner than later before the deals and bundles dried up. The last time I bought a gaming console was in 2005 with the 360. It lasted me ten years. Let's see how long the X-Box One lasts.

Why 360? It came down to a few major things.

1 - The PS4 controller felt foreign to me.

2 - Both of my cousins and one of my friends are on X-Box One

3 - I already have an X-Box Live Account

4 - Did I mention that the PS4 controller felt foreign to me?

So... X-Box One Assassin's Creed Bundle and I threw in a Rechargeable Battery Pack.

Game suggestions? The Assassin's Creed games should keep me plenty busy in the rare time I have to play. I want to pick up Lego Marvel as I was in the middle of that, and that game is really fun.

I hear good things about Destiny but what else?

I am a casual gamer.

BTW... I am up setting this whole thing up before the world crashes in about 16 hours as people start unwrapping and setting up their own consoles... As Microsoft is already reporting heavy traffic, this may have been a wise decision not to leave this for tomorrow.

Get Destiny (aka Grind Fest) if you want to spend countless hours of farming in game items needed for weapon/armor upgrades. My friends and I all bought the game and a few of us sold the game after about a month. Too much grinding! The initial release of Destiny was a total dud in my opinion. Now, the expansion was just released but I don't know how much of a difference that makes in regards to the already confusing story line, lack of multiplayer maps and game modes, and lack of private match set up. Pretty much everything that Halo has, Destiny is lacking. Now of course they are adding new things as time goes on, but as stated before, prepare to grind your life away with Destiny.

I would suggest getting Shadow of Mordor before you get Destiny, unless all of your friends are bugging you to play Destiny with them. SoM is a great game!!!! You won't (shouldn't) be disappointed with SoM.

OK, so after xmas shopping and deciding I don't want anything for my PS3, which has been taken over by my kids anyway, I have decided that what I do want is an original, working NES. Tecmo Bowl anyone!

Here's the thing, I don't know anything about buying an old NES (likely off ebay). Does anyone here have any tips or pointers? For example, I've seen some auctions that list the NES as a 72 pin. I have no idea what that means. Is that what I should buy?

All I want is a working NES that I can actually play games.

Any advice (in thread or via pm) is greatly appreciated

OK, so after xmas shopping and deciding I don't want anything for my PS3, which has been taken over by my kids anyway, I have decided that what I do want is an original, working NES. Tecmo Bowl anyone!

Here's the thing, I don't know anything about buying an old NES (likely off ebay). Does anyone here have any tips or pointers? For example, I've seen some auctions that list the NES as a 72 pin. I have no idea what that means. Is that what I should buy?

You might want to investigate MAME emulators. There available online via a quick search and they'll enable you to play all those old school games on NES as well as a variety of other platforms (SEGA GENESIS, COLECOVISION, ATARI 2600, etc.)

Received a substantial amount of money in Gift Cards today with more than half of the amount being a Best Buy card. I sold off all of my old 360 games except for Lego Marvel last week as I had plans to upgrade around April.

April came early. Figured it would be better to grab something sooner than later before the deals and bundles dried up. The last time I bought a gaming console was in 2005 with the 360. It lasted me ten years. Let's see how long the X-Box One lasts.

So... X-Box One Assassin's Creed Bundle and I threw in a Rechargeable Battery Pack.

Game suggestions? The Assassin's Creed games should keep me plenty busy in the rare time I have to play. I want to pick up Lego Marvel as I was in the middle of that, and that game is really fun.

I am a casual gamer.

BTW... I am up setting this whole thing up before the world crashes in about 16 hours as people start unwrapping and setting up their own consoles... As Microsoft is already reporting heavy traffic, this may have been a wise decision not to leave this for tomorrow.

If you're into shooters, definitely get the Halo: MCC. I haven't really played the multiplayer on it, as I'm focused on all the campaigns right now (trying to speedrun all of them on Legendary). Titanfall is REALLY good now that all the added playlists and stuff was added through all the patches/add-ons. Still play it from time to time. I agree that Destiny is a TOTAL GRINDFEST. So if you don't mind that, then pick that up. I haven't played that game in a couple of months, so I don't know how different it is with the new patches/DLC. I'm not a COD guy, but I really enjoyed Advanced Warfare. People liken it as Titanfall without the mechs, but I think it's a different feel.

Edited by k1dkash

I am a casual gamer.

Sunset Overdrive I think is an epic game, its a very fast paced shooter if your into that kind of game. You cant stand still in that game, your always grinding rooftops and bouncing off trees and cars.

Diablo 3 Ultimate evil edition has been fun for the last 30 or so hours ive invested in it.

Halo MCC, because its Halo

Just an FYI on current sales going on in the PlayStation store.

Sale on PS3 games that ends 12/30/2014.

Sale on PS4 games that ends 12/30/2014.

Special FLASH SALE that ends 12/29/2014 at 9AM PT.

I got an NES and a SNES for Christmas and LOVE them. Here's a good FAQ for ya:

1. 72-pin is the amount of little teeth the nes uses to cling onto the junk sticking out of the cartridges. Sometimes these get really dirty and the NES works better if replaced. That might be why you're seeing it mentioned in ads.

2. If possible, buy a bundle. You'll get a better deal with NES + games.

3. Make sure anything you buy said "tested and works" or something to that effect.

4. If a cartridge doesn't work, don't sweat it. Clean the pins on the bottom with a q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol. Usually they work great after that.

5. **Very Important** Light gun doesn't work on a flatscreen and games look bad on them too. I spent $15 for a CRT tv off Craigslist and my gaming experience has been WONDERFUL. Yes it's heavy, but the scanlines are wonderful to see too!

Alternatives:

-Retron 5 system plays most games from NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. Downside is the software is technically emulation (just like on PC) so every once in a blue moon you'll see carts that don't play sound properly, etc. Also doesn't have the vintage vibe.

-WiiU (and Wii) have the old games on their app store. Again, won't look as awesome as an original on an old school tv, but is definitely price friendlier.

Feel free to PM me anytime to talk gaming or ask questions. I'm super into "retro" gaming. I just hate calling it that since I'm old and it doesn't seem "retro" to me. lol I can also point you to awesome local game stores if you happen to live in Toronto.

Agree with most of that but NES and SNES games look awesome on my flatscreen. Just spend a little more and buy a top loader NES (later model) and one with av output. No reason to have a separate in my experience anyways

Another thing Id say is that a retro zone powerpak is a much better alternative than the retron

Domo has become my go to guy for games (thumbs u :D

Agree with most of that but NES and SNES games look awesome on my flatscreen. Just spend a little more and buy a top loader NES (later model) and one with av output. No reason to have a separate in my experience anyways

Another thing Id say is that a retro zone powerpak is a much better alternative than the retron

Thanks Rob and Bronty for the input. Since my earlier post I've been busy on eBay. Picked up a boxed system (front load) and some complete in box games. Hopefully I'll be up and running by the end of next week. I have an annual trip coming up in January with college buddies and I plan on having a tecmo bowl tourney so anxious to see what it looks like on a flat screen as that's all that will be available to us. I'd really love to not have to lug a crt, of which I do not own, just to play.

I tired to do the NES emulator thing last year on my Mac with the original control pad adapted to a USB. (They sell them on Amazon). Unfortunately I could never get it to work.

I would love to play the original NES games.

Either way... I am still fooling around with Assassin's Creed Black Flag...

I have no idea what is going on. I'm in the past. Then I find out that this is Total Recall. Now I have no investment in the character since it is all a vacation dream anyway. What the?

I tired to do the NES emulator thing last year on my Mac with the original control pad adapted to a USB. (They sell them on Amazon). Unfortunately I could never get it to work.

I have no idea what is going on. I'm in the past. Then I find out that this is Total Recall. Now I have no investment in the character since it is all a vacation dream anyway. What the?

I never got into Assassin's Creed.

When the original Assassins Creed came out I thought that some game developer had managed to delve into my mind and create what I would think is the perfect game. Of course the game wasn't perfect but it pretty much had every element I ever dreamed of. Awesome character in amazing open world setting, sweet kill moves and weapons, fighting, 6-8-10-20 enemies at time in realistic fashion. By the time I got to Assassins Creed 3 I was so burnt out I wouldn't pay attention to the cut scenes so I had no idea what was going on. I was a zombie just trying to complete the games.

But i'll never forget the first time I played it, scaled my first point and looked out on the city, just amazing depth in the world's they created for the series.

I decided to dump all of my older systems and focus exclusively on the Sega Master System. Picked up a few more games last weekend.

Amazing condition. Literally played once. All of the paperwork and advertisement stuff still included.

His NES boxed stuff was unbelievable. Those boxes were crappy quality but his looked like they were off-the-shelf.

Patrick

:applause:

Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome. (thumbs u