• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Just finished the main storyline for Lego Batman 3.

I really don't want to spoil it, but there are more Easter Eggs than people are talking about. It seems that the designers are fans themselves of most everything. I will do my best to allude but not spoil three that stand out.

1 - Kevin Smith is in it. That much is already known. Try and catch the several Clerks references with one of them being rated R-NC-17

2 - The next Lego game is alluded to in the credits and it has nothing to do with superheroes. Lego secured the license for this franchise for 2015-2016. It looks like we are getting a game.

3 - The 'Great Escape' reference was very amusing.

As an aside, DC does not have a "Stan Lee" so I guess they recruited Adam West...

The one disappointment that I had compared to Lego Marvel was that Lego Marvel allowed for an open exploration of NYC. That element is missing in Batman 3. While you can free-play each level, it does not have that element that Lego Marvel had. However, even as a Marvel guy, I have to admit I think I enjoyed the overall -script and plot of Batman 3 more.

Worth a pickup with lots of replay value making you want to continue to unlock more and get that 100%.

Just finished the main storyline for Lego Batman 3.

I really don't want to spoil it, but there are more Easter Eggs than people are talking about. It seems that the designers are fans themselves of most everything. I will do my best to allude but not spoil three that stand out.

1 - Kevin Smith is in it. That much is already known. Try and catch the several Clerks references with one of them being rated R-NC-17

2 - The next Lego game is alluded to in the credits and it has nothing to do with superheroes. Lego secured the license for this franchise for 2015-2016. It looks like we are getting a game.

3 - The 'Great Escape' reference was very amusing.

As an aside, DC does not have a "Stan Lee" so I guess they recruited Adam West...

The one disappointment that I had compared to Lego Marvel was that Lego Marvel allowed for an open exploration of NYC. That element is missing in Batman 3. While you can free-play each level, it does not have that element that Lego Marvel had. However, even as a Marvel guy, I have to admit I think I enjoyed the overall -script and plot of Batman 3 more.

Worth a pickup with lots of replay value making you want to continue to unlock more and get that 100%.

(thumbs u

I am not a DC or Batman fan, but I think I'll pick this up, just for the fun value.

On another note, finished playing the two easiest levels of Alien Isolation, along with the Crew Expendable DLC. Got most of the trophies (I think I am only missing 3) and collectables. The game is pretty linear and straight forward. Biggest complaint is how tense it can get and sometimes you can get turned around hunting for what to do next. Actually, that's probably more my playing style of creeping around EVERYWHERE and giving the AI ample time to reload enemies. The AI in this game is quite good. While I haven't had a real problem with it (other than random spawning right in my way in some areas) I have read where it adapts to your playing style. I play almost every horror game like MGS, so I usually don't have issues, and this game fits that playing style perfectly.

Currently playing GTA V now and once you get used to the new controls, it's been quite entertaining so far....I came in with the expectation it would be in the same world as San Andreas and disappointed that the map isn't the same. At least so far....

I think if you liked halo 4 you'll like halo 5. A lot of fans didn't care for 4. Personally I think 343 has been doing great. Reach is still my all time favorite, but you can't keep your gameplay rigid. COD took a lot of criticism with MW3 as it felt like an expansion.

You thought Reach was the best Halo? What did you like about it?

to me ODST was the better Halo game.

Mainly the campaign. I read the book and their new take on the story was refreashing with the Spartans being more diverse and actually having personality compared to the novels. The multiplayer was good. I especially liked the dmr, addition of executions, customizations through the store, and the leveling system. I thought the new abilities had more impact in multiplayer than in halo 3.

ODST had a great campaign not being from the perspective of a spartan. You weren't this all power character. The arbiter in 2 played the same as MC. I miss firefight and wish they would consider including it in the odst remake coming out in a few months, but it's not looking likely.

Edited by AnthaiHERO

I did like the way Reach made it a well rounded universe. I always thought some sort of prequel would be nice, and Reach gave us that.

I felt the same about ODST.

Personally, my favorite was Halo 3. I'd never actually owned an XBox. I played a ton of CE back in college. We used to get the whole floor of my door playing and it was a blast. Then my roommate and I played a ton of Halo 2. Then I fell in love with Halo 3 and bought a 360 for the game. I felt like the multiplayer and campaign were perfect.

In other news, I'm enjoying the Beta a lot more with BR starts. I'm also playing really well with BR starts. I just went 20 and 2. I was negative playing with AR starts. Now I'm back to being positive overall.

Edited by Official Chris S.

I have a question. So the the day before Thanksgiving I got my second YLOD on my PS3. I decided to get a PS4 while it was on sale.

So I've been selling off the PS3 stuff and am down to a couple games and the broken unit. I am interested in selling the unit for parts but not if it's still going to have my information on it. So if I remove the hard drive will it remember anything? The system name, PM's, friend list, PSN account?

I can't restore it because of the YLOD which costs $50 to fix with no guarantees out here. I know it's not worth much of anything broken so I don't mind keeping it if there's any risk of some smart hacker guy screwing me over with it.

BTW I've been playing Arkham Origins and I've got to say aside from the anoying yet sometimes funny glitches it feels and handles like a poor man's Arkham City, very disappointed.

A more in depth answer then...

Removing just the HDD will not delete your information. Information is also stored on the Nand or Nor chips on your mono. You have to do a factory reset.

There are a few very good people in the states that would fix your unit. They operate pretty much like these boards, they make each other accountable for their actions. If you wanna learn pm me. If you are going to throw it away, pm me. There are thousands of kids who go without, I can get it working and donate it

Received a substantial amount of money in Gift Cards today with more than half of the amount being a Best Buy card. I sold off all of my old 360 games except for Lego Marvel last week as I had plans to upgrade around April.

April came early. Figured it would be better to grab something sooner than later before the deals and bundles dried up. The last time I bought a gaming console was in 2005 with the 360. It lasted me ten years. Let's see how long the X-Box One lasts.

Why 360? It came down to a few major things.

1 - The PS4 controller felt foreign to me.

2 - Both of my cousins and one of my friends are on X-Box One

3 - I already have an X-Box Live Account

4 - Did I mention that the PS4 controller felt foreign to me?

So... X-Box One Assassin's Creed Bundle and I threw in a Rechargeable Battery Pack.

Game suggestions? The Assassin's Creed games should keep me plenty busy in the rare time I have to play. I want to pick up Lego Marvel as I was in the middle of that, and that game is really fun.

I hear good things about Destiny but what else?

I am a casual gamer.

BTW... I am up setting this whole thing up before the world crashes in about 16 hours as people start unwrapping and setting up their own consoles... As Microsoft is already reporting heavy traffic, this may have been a wise decision not to leave this for tomorrow.

Get Destiny (aka Grind Fest) if you want to spend countless hours of farming in game items needed for weapon/armor upgrades. My friends and I all bought the game and a few of us sold the game after about a month. Too much grinding! The initial release of Destiny was a total dud in my opinion. Now, the expansion was just released but I don't know how much of a difference that makes in regards to the already confusing story line, lack of multiplayer maps and game modes, and lack of private match set up. Pretty much everything that Halo has, Destiny is lacking. Now of course they are adding new things as time goes on, but as stated before, prepare to grind your life away with Destiny.

I would suggest getting Shadow of Mordor before you get Destiny, unless all of your friends are bugging you to play Destiny with them. SoM is a great game!!!! You won't (shouldn't) be disappointed with SoM.

Oh snap now that Eric is a member here the retro game input on this thread just doubled :headbang:lol

Why is this thread in the movie section? ???

Nevermind... I re-read the name.

Video games too...

doh!

Edited by Aces

If you have a PS4...you might want to check out this free game being offered in the PlayStation store right now. (Or if you plan on getting a PS4 later...you could add it to your download queue now and install it after you get the system).

Check out the demo video provided....but be aware that the game is rated "Mature 17+".

Like Looney Tunes Directed by Quentin Tarantino!

eBay auction for factory-sealed copy of Nintendo NES Stadium Events

News Story

The Highest Bidder on This Super-Rare Videogame Probably Won’t Pay

By Chris Kohler 01/09/2015

stadium_events_vga.jpg

What is quite possibly the world’s most valuable single production videogame is currently up for sale. But don’t be fooled into thinking it’s more valuable than it really is.

Stadium Events is the rarest game that was actually sold in stores for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and the copy currently being auctioned by seller “menaceone” on eBay is about the best, most pristine copy in existence: It’s still in its factory shrink-wrap, and it’s been given a grade of 85 out of 100 by the Video Game Authority, which authenticates and grades collectibles. It’s currently sealed in an acrylic slab for preservation, which also proves that it’s an authentic sealed copy.

The seller told GameSpot that he is a former Nintendo employee who got this game from the company back during the NES era.

How much will it sell for? It’s hard to say, exactly, because it’s been many years since a sealed Stadium Events was sold publicly. In January 2011, a sealed copy sold for a record high of $22,800. But demand for collectible games has exploded since then. In fact, if you look at the eBay auction today, you’ll see a current high bid of over $91,000.

Wow! Crazy! It will never sell for that much.

Sadly, what often happens when an eBay auction for a rare videogame like this starts drawing attention, the auction gets trolled. Bidders, some using burner accounts, start placing bids they never intend to follow through on. If you look at the item’s bidding history, you can see where the legitimate bids end and the trolling starts: Right around the $30,000 mark, where bidders start placing a series of incremental bids just to poke the item’s price up a little higher bit by bit.

Yes, whichever jokester loses this game of Russian roulette is technically legally obligated to purchase the item, but in reality the worst risk they’re running is getting an Unpaid Item strike on their eBay account.

This has happened a few times recently: Witness the profoundly ugly copy of Nintendo World Championships, estimated to be worth about $5,000, but bid up by trolls to just under $100,000. Later, the seller said that the game was sold privately for $5,000, the price at which he had set the auction’s original opening bid. The 11,000-game collection that the Guinness Book called the “world’s biggest” was auctioned on another site called GameGavel for over $750,000, but to this day it has not yet sold at any price.

What can be especially frustrating about these trolled auctions is the inevitable wave of incorrect news reports that follow, suggesting that the item in question has “sold” for the wildly inflated, unrealistic, fraudulent bid amount, without even a caveat.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Potentially: Remember that copy of Action Comics issue 1, the first comic book to feature Superman, that sold for $3.2 million on eBay, a record price for any comic? In that case, only pre-approved bidders could place bids. This is a standard feature of eBay, although it does require more work on the part of the seller.

Nobody’s going to impulse-buy a Stadium Events like it was a pack of gum at the checkout line. The number of videogame collectors who are prepared to make a legitimate five-figure bid on a rare item such as this is small, and they’d certainly be willing to take the extra step of securing pre-approval before placing a bid.