• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

You know, playing GTA 5 I thought I identified mostly with Michael, but as it turns out, the more I play, the more I realize I have in common with Trevor lol

Probably not a good thing...

wow, 20 years now - I remember seeing a ps1 with twisted metal and diablo at a friend's house, that was the first time I saw a ps1. Jeez that's a long time ago.

wow, 20 years now - I remember seeing a ps1 with twisted metal and diablo at a friend's house, that was the first time I saw a ps1. Jeez that's a long time ago.

Ah the good old days. NFS, Clock Tower, FFVII, Crash Bandicoot

Metal gear solid came later but relative to the state of the industry at the time that was one of the best games Ive ever played

I remember when it came out. Just as I lost interest in comics in1994 because of the comic book bubble bursting along came the PS1 to take me away from comics for awhile. I think the PS1 had a lot to do with comic book fans from that era abandoning comics and not coming back.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds

OHMYGAWD A MAJORA'S MASK VERSION IS COMING OUT!!!!

:whee:

Have you pre-order it yet?

I thinking of pre-ordering it myself hm

I would get on that quick if I was you guys... Gamestop preorders have stopped since yesterday,15mins after it was announced. But there still might be opportunity to get it through other retailers lie best buy, target, toys r us etc

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds

OHMYGAWD A MAJORA'S MASK VERSION IS COMING OUT!!!!

:whee:

Have you pre-order it yet?

I thinking of pre-ordering it myself hm

I would get on that quick if I was you guys... Gamestop preorders have stopped since yesterday,15mins after it was announced. But there still might be opportunity to get it through other retailers lie best buy, target, toys r us etc

I wasn't goi g to pre-order the Majora's mask one anyway, I like the ruby red look. Besides on the Nintendo/video game forums everywhere is pre sold out of the MM 3ds model. now the only way to get one is if someone cancels theirs.

Metal gear solid came later but relative to the state of the industry at the time that was one of the best games Ive ever played

It's amazing how the playing style of that game has stuck with me throughout the years. Whenever I play COD and other stealth games, I always go the Soild Snake way lol

eBay auction for factory-sealed copy of Nintendo NES Stadium Events

News Story

The Highest Bidder on This Super-Rare Videogame Probably Won’t Pay

By Chris Kohler 01/09/2015

stadium_events_vga.jpg

What is quite possibly the world’s most valuable single production videogame is currently up for sale. But don’t be fooled into thinking it’s more valuable than it really is.

Stadium Events is the rarest game that was actually sold in stores for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and the copy currently being auctioned by seller “menaceone” on eBay is about the best, most pristine copy in existence: It’s still in its factory shrink-wrap, and it’s been given a grade of 85 out of 100 by the Video Game Authority, which authenticates and grades collectibles. It’s currently sealed in an acrylic slab for preservation, which also proves that it’s an authentic sealed copy.

The seller told GameSpot that he is a former Nintendo employee who got this game from the company back during the NES era.

How much will it sell for? It’s hard to say, exactly, because it’s been many years since a sealed Stadium Events was sold publicly. In January 2011, a sealed copy sold for a record high of $22,800. But demand for collectible games has exploded since then. In fact, if you look at the eBay auction today, you’ll see a current high bid of over $91,000.

Wow! Crazy! It will never sell for that much.

Sadly, what often happens when an eBay auction for a rare videogame like this starts drawing attention, the auction gets trolled. Bidders, some using burner accounts, start placing bids they never intend to follow through on. If you look at the item’s bidding history, you can see where the legitimate bids end and the trolling starts: Right around the $30,000 mark, where bidders start placing a series of incremental bids just to poke the item’s price up a little higher bit by bit.

Yes, whichever jokester loses this game of Russian roulette is technically legally obligated to purchase the item, but in reality the worst risk they’re running is getting an Unpaid Item strike on their eBay account.

This has happened a few times recently: Witness the profoundly ugly copy of Nintendo World Championships, estimated to be worth about $5,000, but bid up by trolls to just under $100,000. Later, the seller said that the game was sold privately for $5,000, the price at which he had set the auction’s original opening bid. The 11,000-game collection that the Guinness Book called the “world’s biggest” was auctioned on another site called GameGavel for over $750,000, but to this day it has not yet sold at any price.

What can be especially frustrating about these trolled auctions is the inevitable wave of incorrect news reports that follow, suggesting that the item in question has “sold” for the wildly inflated, unrealistic, fraudulent bid amount, without even a caveat.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Potentially: Remember that copy of Action Comics issue 1, the first comic book to feature Superman, that sold for $3.2 million on eBay, a record price for any comic? In that case, only pre-approved bidders could place bids. This is a standard feature of eBay, although it does require more work on the part of the seller.

Nobody’s going to impulse-buy a Stadium Events like it was a pack of gum at the checkout line. The number of videogame collectors who are prepared to make a legitimate five-figure bid on a rare item such as this is small, and they’d certainly be willing to take the extra step of securing pre-approval before placing a bid.

Sold and apparently paid for @35k.

Seller turfed all the trolls and required pre-approved bidding and it seems to have worked.

Nice solid realistic number for the sale.