• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does SquareEnix release awesome games?

People bash them because of the Final Fantasy XIII series (which I like), but they've done well with all of the Eidos properties they acquired (Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider). I'm a fan.

People didn't like final fantasy XIII? I thought they were pretty good. My favorite was X, then VII after that its pretty much par for the course.
Really?

X is my favorite FF game too :) (It was my first FF game I played)

I actually liked XIII (Lighting being my favorite character)

VI is my 2nd favorite FF game.

Square Enix has put out some quailty games.

So,they'll be getting my money this week lol

Final Fantasy XIII has awesome combat. The problem is it takes 15 hours until the game opens up the entire system to you, so most people stopped playing before the game actually got good. The art design is amazing too. I have XIII-2, but haven't played it yet.

I tried Final Fantasy X and couldn't stand it because I hated the characters, voice acting and dialogue. Same with X-2. I liked FF XII better, but never finished it. And I've never played any before X.

Final Fantasy XIII has awesome combat. The problem is it takes 15 hours until the game opens up the entire system to you, so most people stopped playing before the game actually got good. The art design is amazing too. I have XIII-2, but haven't played it yet.

I tried Final Fantasy X and couldn't stand it because I hated the characters, voice acting and dialogue. Same with X-2. I liked FF XII better, but never finished it. And I've never played any before X.

FF VI is my 2nd favorite game in the series (I love the characters in the game)

VII is a great game too,but I don't understand why gamers were upset that Aerith died (she was a lame@$$ character that couldn't fight worth a :censored: )

Tifa was my favorite :cool:

I too liked FF XIII combat system (it was different but it didn't lose that RPG feel of the game)

X had solid characters and an amazing story, you crazy.

And the levelling system through the sphere grid was pretty sweet, take Wakka through Auron's path and Boom! Ball's to ya face.

And the levelling system through the sphere grid was pretty sweet, take Wakka through Auron's path and Boom! Ball's to ya face.

Tidus was meh

But the rest of the characters were great (Rikku & Lulu being my favorites)

The sphere grid was I think the best level up system in the series(FF XIII did something similar to that)

I don't care for the stories in most games. I think games have the potential to tell great stories, but few do. Most have passable stories that give context to the gameplay, but that's about it, which is fine with me. I care about gameplay and art design more than anything else; if a game is fun, I don't care if the writing sucks. But if the characters and/or voice acting grates on my nerves, it detracts from the game for me.

Case in point would be Skyrim. I don't think anyone cares about the main story in that game, and the characters in the world are cardboard. The appeal is in exploring the world they crafted and advancing your character.

FF XII is epic once you get into it, the hunter's quests and Esper's can take hours off your life. I played that game for 122 hours and still didn't complete everything. It is worth revisiting if you didn't finish IMO.

FF XII is epic once you get into it, the hunter's quests and Esper's can take hours off your life. I played that game for 122 hours and still didn't complete everything. It is worth revisiting if you didn't finish IMO.

personally games that long, while being good value I suppose, turn me off.... they are too long! I'd rather have something that can be wrapped up in 1/4 of the time or less.

personally games that long, while being good value I suppose, turn me off.... they are too long! I'd rather have something that can be wrapped up in 1/4 of the time or less.

Totally agree. For an action game, 15-20 hours is the sweet spot for me. For an RPG, I would say 25-50 hours. There are exceptions, but for the most part anything more than that is too much for me. The only games I put more than 100 hours into were Super Street Fighter II HD Remix and Street Fighter IV, but that's because I was playing online, and it was over the course of a year.

AC IV: Black Flag debut trailer. Looks like it's coming out late October on both the PS3 and PS4. This also confirms my belief that the naval battles in AC III were basically a tech demo for this game:

Not sure when it was announced, but I'm starting to get emails for the presale for Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag. Appears to be no mention of the Connor storyline. Can't wait.

Bought mine, but haven't had a chance to play yet.

Did anyone else get the version packed in with a 48-page comic?

Not sure if anyone cares, but if you pre-order AC IV: Black Flag now, you get a poster by Todd McFarlane.

assasins_creed_IV_poster1-612x850.jpg