• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Helheim

1,817 posts in this topic

That was good enough reason for me to pick up several copies of each variant, double signed.

This is one of the few books I'm looking forward to. The the fact the the Sales section seems to have none of the above scenerio makes me very confused (CGC'd specifically)...Were they done and people are "holding" them to see the way the market turns? Or did nobody care enough to get this done (including that the ECCC variant cover artist was there signing as well!)? Either way, can't wait to read this tomorrow! My local shop doesn't order ONI either so I'm curious if they bought more then what customers "Preview'd"..

That was good enough reason for me to pick up several copies of each variant, double signed.

This is one of the few books I'm looking forward to. The the fact the the Sales section seems to have none of the above scenerio makes me very confused (CGC'd specifically)...Were they done and people are "holding" them to see the way the market turns? Or did nobody care enough to get this done (including that the ECCC variant cover artist was there signing as well!)? Either way, can't wait to read this tomorrow! My local shop doesn't order ONI either so I'm curious if they bought more then what customers "Preview'd"..

the nycc's were selling for <$20 prior to the Phantom announcement and 6th Gunn being picked up, so no one was bothering to get them slabbed. The NYCC and ECCC's will be plentiful in the queue at CGC.

i disagree big time matt. No one knew or cared about this book at all. Larry posted it about 3 weeks ago, saying he thought it would be a hit, and that he would be doing a cover.

It immediately spiked after that, and people have been after it ever since. Also, people were inquiring about getting ECCC copies from boardies going.

It's not a surprise as TPB said, but speculators are certainly watching it.

People have to think for themselves. No comic book reseller, retailer, merchant, etc. is going to say "Oh, this book is going to suck". They are in the business to sell books and help hype it up.

People have to think for themselves. No comic book reseller, retailer, merchant, etc. is going to say "Oh, this book is going to suck". They are in the business to sell books and help hype it up.

I wasn't saying anything negative about it. I have never said anything negative about Larry or the Phantom's. I told him when it first started, it would have longer term success if there were less of them. But that's just my opinion, and he's certainly doing great with them currently.

Ultimately, people buying variants, want them to not fall in value. Exclusivity is what brings that, but i digress.

I am all for them, all for them being posted in their corresponding threads, and all for it helping to bring exposure to the book. That is why creators make variants, and store owners sell things. +1,000,000 for capitalism.

The point i was disputing, was the claim that this book was not on speculators radar's, and specifically, not on it prior to ECCC. Interest in this book as a rising secondary market value book, started on this board and with Larry's post. It's success and future value, will lie in its quality.

But, if anyone is thinking the Eye of Sauron isnt gazing at this thread, they are fooling themselves.

i disagree big time matt. No one knew or cared about this book at all. Larry posted it about 3 weeks ago, saying he thought it would be a hit, and that he would be doing a cover.

It immediately spiked after that, and people have been after it ever since. Also, people were inquiring about getting ECCC copies from boardies going.

It's not a surprise as TPB said, but speculators are certainly watching it.

as you have pointed out, interest spiked 3 weeks ago, AFTER orders would have been put in. :)

I think speculators will eat this book up off the stands, leaving none for the readers, hence the price spike. Just like PP, NWM, etc.

There seemed to be a fair amount of the NYCC B&W copy on he bay going for cheap then issue 1 was solicited in Previews, Larry dropped his Phantom and all the sudden the NYCC started to sell for more.

Was this because Larry talked about it or people were ordering it.....probably a little of both.

Also people want to grab have the limited variants in case the book does do well. Better to not be caught with your pants down if the book sells and prices go up.

For the black and white preview, they didn't even sell out at NYCC. They had the left overs at ECCC.

It also doesn't help that they brought out the NYCC variant w/out any mention of NYCC on the cover. It just says ' Convention Exclusive Black and White Preview' < I could be wrong on the exact wording but it is close.

Was this because Larry talked about it or people were ordering it.....probably a little of both.

Also people want to grab have the limited variants in case the book does do well. Better to not be caught with your pants down if the book sells and prices go up.

All of the above. This board moves the market, big time.

All of the above. This board moves the market, big time.

Very true!

I submitted two of each cover to CGC for SS at the show, they are fast tracked and should be here in a month or so. I might sell the ones i have on the board, they double signed, which not many people did.