• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

And for good measure, here is the Last book that I know of in which Eerie Publications...Who I believe later turned into Modern Day Publishing?...printed.

It is the Weird Vampire Tales Line of books. This issue is Weird Vampire Tales V5. #3 and came out in March 1982 or about or about 7 months after the previous issue V5. #2 which came out in August 1981.

Funny thing is the Trashfiend doesnt even mention this book. They top the Wierd Vampire Tales series out at 1981. Weird that Stine missed this issue. None the less it had rediculously low print.

597478-Weird_Vampire_Mar_1982_Last_Issue.jpg

597478-Weird_Vampire_Mar_1982_Last_Issue.jpg.5a25575f5767b739cbd0691b1f8a1ee5.jpg

Well Here's the deal. There is no Issue #22. You are correct with the '74 Fall Special. Since the '74 Fall Special came out between issue #21 and #23 it is considered #22 by many. Its really how you look at it. Because there is no actual numbered #22 issue. I say its #22. For the Nightmare 1975 Winter Special is the same considered to be Nightmare #23 (or the last issue)

-bounty

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Bounty - I'm going to carry a thought over to this thread as it seems more appropriate, but it originated in the Creepy #9 thread. I had mentioned that the Kochs had a "warehouse" full of Warren material from the bankruptcy auction. Which led me to this thought: in the Trashfiend article on Skywald, there is a comment on "warehouse finds" of these magazines.

So, has anyone heard of this other than in Trashfiend? Obviously, it wouldn't be a literal warehouse like the Warren/Koch deal. The tradtional definition of maybe a couple stacks of unopened packs tucked away in a distributors corner somewhere probably applies.

But, what titles? What issues? What quantity? What conditions? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've never heard of a Skywald (or Eerie!) warehouse find anywhere else. Howbout you all? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Keith. I have heard of wherehouse finds for Eerie Pub books. But strange enough every source that I have found that had these "wherehouse" or distributor copies were of the less desirable 1971 Sci-Fi covers. For some reason there is an ungodly amount of those in existance. And they are always the ones that you find in HG generally. I'm not sure if they had large prints, and many just sat un-distributed or what?!?!!?

As far as Skywalds, I have not seen nor heard any mention of wherehouse finds. A fellow that I purchased many of my Eerie Pub. and Skywald books from worked for the distributor that distributed many of these magazines and saved what he could (much like what the owner of the Boston Pedigree collection did). So that in my own personal instance is as much as I've heard about any type of Skywald "stock" find.

I actaully would love to see some Eerie Pub wherehouse finds pop up, because I believe this is our only chance to get extremely HG copies of these books. Those that were put on racks got destroyed, and if that wasnt enough, people really read the [!@#%^&^] out of these. And at the time who the heck collected them for value? 893frustrated.gif

-bounty

Keith. I have heard of wherehouse finds for Eerie Pub books. But strange enough every source that I have found that had these "wherehouse" or distributor copies were of the less desirable 1971 Sci-Fi covers. For some reason there is an ungodly amount of those in existance. And they are always the ones that you find in HG generally. I'm not sure if they had large prints, and many just sat un-distributed or what?!?!!?

Interesting. This has me forming a theory. You say all the Eerie warehouse finds are Sci Fi covers? Here goes:

I'm wondering if some of these "warehouse" finds we hear about over and over through the years aren't anything more than remaindered copies. I'm not 100% on this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the jobs of a book remainderer to obtain distributor return copies & either destroy/recycle them? I know they also sit on material for awhile (sometimes years upon years), for what purpose I'm not sure. Maybe for creditors to have some sort of further collateral against publishers with whom they have liens. I dunno. I hear it is a very "shady" business as well. Chuck from Mile High talked about this in CBG a couple years back, and I wish I would have paid more attention....

Anyway, if we are wise enough to admit that Sci-Fi does not sell very well in the comic market (and hence the comic-mag medium) then maybe these were unsold by a distributor and turned over to a remainderer? Years later, I can see a dealer slipping a few bucks to someone to let them come prowl the stacks and take home some goodies with a possible cut of the profits. poke2.gif

Sounds Like you hit it on the button my man. And I follow you about the "wherehouse" finds. I do not believe that there is a specific wherehouse holding undistributed Eerie Pub material, but most likely they are distributer returns. In fact I think that I have picked up a few distributer returns over the years. They exhibit brand new color and gloss & white pages, with light mini defects such as bumped corners (or handling defects).

You never know what you'll find at a garage sale sometimes.

Picked these up this morning:

Psycho 2 1971

Psycho 4 1971

Psycho Annual 1 1972

Monsters Unleashed 1 1973

Hell-Rider 1 1971

Creepy 1 1964

Also got a Fighting Stars 1 magazine with Bruce Lee on the cover from 1973!

thumbsup2.gif

Dang Bounty! I have the August 81 issue of WVT & thought it was the last issue this whole time!! frustrated.gif

NO kidding I think everyone else thought that as well. As said, the fact that it was printed a good 4-6 months later just increases the likeliness of it not getting into the collectors hands, or at that even ordered.

You never know what you'll find at a garage sale sometimes.

Picked these up this morning:

Psycho 2 1971

Psycho 4 1971

Psycho Annual 1 1972

Monsters Unleashed 1 1973

Hell-Rider 1 1971

Creepy 1 1964

Also got a Fighting Stars 1 magazine with Bruce Lee on the cover from 1973!

thumbsup2.gif

Nice pick ups my brother! I assume that they are quality reading copies? Either way nice snag. Gotta love the quick heart skip that takes place when you come across something like that.

Alright guys I thought that I should provide a little injection to this thread. Here we have issue #1 of Chilling tales of Horror. It was printed in 1969 and has one of the better covers of the entire series. It actually has decent art, and is more reminiscent of pre-code comics. Love this issue. Enjoy guys.

614750-Chilling_Tales_Horror_1_1969.jpg

614750-Chilling_Tales_Horror_1_1969.jpg.7345eb56f773e98f16c44b07fd92dca2.jpg

Here's an issue of Tales from the Tomb that I do not believe I have posted yet. This thread is getting so long now that its hard to travel back and sift through posts.

None the less it is one of my favorite covers. It is a 1974 issue and what makes it so great is that they actually used ORIGINAL ART! What a concept. Something that we very void in much of the Eerie Pub books from this period or from the period leading into this year. Really cool creepy cover with awesome black background.

614753-Tales_Tomb_Nov_1974.jpg

614753-Tales_Tomb_Nov_1974.jpg.93cfb173fa7b08c8aafc05a94edb27dc.jpg

Alright guys I thought that I should provide a little injection to this thread. Here we have issue #1 of Chilling tales of Horror. It was printed in 1969 and has one of the better covers of the entire series. It actually has decent art, and is more reminiscent of pre-code comics. Love this issue. Enjoy guys.

614750-Chilling_Tales_Horror_1_1969.jpg

Haha! Another Stanley Morse cut and paste classic!

It SHOULD look like pre-code, because it IS! 27_laughing.gif

Morse was notorious for this. This one came from Weird Mysteries # 11 with mostly color changes. I wouldn't know about the interior, as I don't have a copy of the mag, just the WM, but I'd wager the stories are various pre-code reprints as well.

Haha! Another Stanley Morse cut and paste classic!

It SHOULD look like pre-code, because it IS!

Morse was notorious for this. This one came from Weird Mysteries # 11 with mostly color changes. I wouldn't know about the interior, as I don't have a copy of the mag, just the WM, but I'd wager the stories are various pre-code reprints as well.

Oh wow! Man Stanely truly was a Copy machine. I had thought this one maybe squeaked past this stereotype. Haha should have known better! Thanks for the clarification Keith!

-bounty

Hi GUys, Here's my copy of Weird Mysteries # 11 for reference....not a great scan but should do the trick.... Actually I was hoping that nobody would ever catch on to these Skywald books and I could just run blissfully through the daisy field picking up all of the copies.....but that has seemed to change in the last year or so....before I was picking up these at less than 5 bucks a piece in VF or better (not now)....as far as I know....I've been able to spot about 5 direct swipes from pre-code books onto these Skywald mags....anyway here's my book.

scan11a.jpg