• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

Sterling I'm curious to know what issue that was in, before I dig through all my issues removing backboards :-)

-bounty

Mike regretably didn't tell me which issue, so he will have to come online and tell us.

Hi! Glad you got it all right!

That particular issue is HORROR TALES v4 #4 (June 1972), though I'm sure this story was reprinted a zillion times in other issues!!

I agree regarding the re-print, because I would've been three years old reading that issue!!! tongue.gif

I purchased a book with that story when I was seven or eight, so that would be 1976 or 1977ish. The book I had ALSO had another story about something in a pool drawing a man in there...and when he figures out the "thing" in the pool pulls him down, with the other corpses... reminds me of those water ghosts in LOTR and also the Iron Maiden song "Still Life". I'd love to know the issue.

So is it fair to say that the issue was reprinted from the same publisher? That would help narrow down mag titles that may have contained the story.

Hi! Glad you got it all right!

That particular issue is HORROR TALES v4 #4 (June 1972), though I'm sure this story was reprinted a zillion times in other issues!!

I agree regarding the re-print, because I would've been three years old reading that issue!!! tongue.gif

I purchased a book with that story when I was seven or eight, so that would be 1976 or 1977ish. The book I had ALSO had another story about something in a pool drawing a man in there...and when he figures out the "thing" in the pool pulls him down, with the other corpses... reminds me of those water ghosts in LOTR and also the Iron Maiden song "Still Life". I'd love to know the issue.

So is it fair to say that the issue was reprinted from the same publisher? That would help narrow down mag titles that may have contained the story.

Sterling if it was reprinted it was most likely done through Eerie Publications (the same publisher). It could have been done in some of the Modern day periodicals books though. I believe they are what become of Eerie Publications around 1978 or so...?

-bounty

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I don't often have much to say, but I'll try to add info if I can!

I think Bounty is correct... about 1978, Eerie changed into Modern Day Publishing. They put out CLASSIC HORROR TALES, WEIRD VAMPIRE TALES and TERRORS OF DRACULA until at least 1981. The later issues that I have (and I don't have many of them... tough to find!) are still reprinting some of the old chestnuts from the early 70s!

The uber elusive first issue of Tales of Voodoo cloud9.gif

Okay Monster magnets, it is trivia time. Anyone know the importance of this copy of Tales of Voodoo besides it being the first Issue?..... Well I'll tell you. Not only was this the 2nd cover ever in the Eerie Publications Library to have blood on the cover (can anyone find the first Eerie Pub. book to have blood on the cover?), but this book is also the very first magazine that Eerie Pub. did outside of Weird. If you recall Weird was the first Horror Comic magazine that Eerie Pub. did starting in 1966, with a character they Created called Morris the Caretaker (had to compete with Uncle Creepy and Cousin Eerie). Come November 1968, Eerie Pub. decided to spin off other Horror Magazines, and Tales of Voodoo V1. #11 Nov. 1968 was kind of the "pilot" issue of these efforts. Soon to follow in 1969 were the launch of their other titles, Terror Tales, Tales from the Tomb, Horror Tales and Witches Tales.

talesofvoodoo1968novfront7ee.jpg

talesofvoodoo1968novback9rg.jpg

-b insane.gifunty

We can't forget Eerie Pub's early one shots...

TALES FROM THE CRYPT from July 1968 (which I'm lucky enough to have found a few years ago) is pretty rare, and I'll bet William Gaines didn't approve much of that title! It's numbered Vol. 1 #10, which leads me to believe that this title is what became Tales Of Voodoo, with that stunning cover posted above!

I'm brain dead and can't figure out how to post pictures here, but TFTC V1 #10 is pictured on page 116 of Stephen Sennitt's "Ghastly Terror" and in color on page 122 of Mike Benton's "Horror Comics: The Illustrated History!

The other one, which I've never even seen, is Eerie Pub's TALES OF TERROR, dated "Summer 1964", which would make it the earliest Eerie out there! OPG still lists it as being pretty cheap, which is nice, because I still need it!! I've never even seen the cover!

(can anyone find the first Eerie Pub. book to have blood on the cover?)

Looking through my early stuff, the earliest bloody cover (though not TOO bloody) is WEIRD V2 #2 from April 1967 with the giant, reaching claws reaching for the hapless victim! After this, they started getting REALLY nasty! heh heh!!

(can anyone find the first Eerie Pub. book to have blood on the cover?)

Looking through my early stuff, the earliest bloody cover (though not TOO bloody) is WEIRD V2 #2 from April 1967 with the giant, reaching claws reaching for the hapless victim! After this, they started getting REALLY nasty! heh heh!!

Hmmm...Let me re-phrase my trivia question. First issue with blood on the cover due to a completely insane and macabre act being performed on another individual (or you could say torture).

That Weird V2 #2 from April has a huge hand in the sky with blood on it smile.gif , you are right. But no victims with blood frown.gif

You are close though.

-bounty

We can't forget Eerie Pub's early one shots...

TALES FROM THE CRYPT from July 1968 (which I'm lucky enough to have found a few years ago) is pretty rare, and I'll bet William Gaines didn't approve much of that title! It's numbered Vol. 1 #10, which leads me to believe that this title is what became Tales Of Voodoo, with that stunning cover posted above!

I'm brain dead and can't figure out how to post pictures here, but TFTC V1 #10 is pictured on page 116 of Stephen Sennitt's "Ghastly Terror" and in color on page 122 of Mike Benton's "Horror Comics: The Illustrated History!

The other one, which I've never even seen, is Eerie Pub's TALES OF TERROR, dated "Summer 1964", which would make it the earliest Eerie out there! OPG still lists it as being pretty cheap, which is nice, because I still need it!! I've never even seen the cover!

That Tales from the Crypt is a sweet book. I had posted a copy earlier in this thread I believe. I have no Idea how long that book was on the shelf for. I would be very interested to know. As I'm sure it was not very long at all. As for the Tales of Terror. I do not think that it exists. I was actually thinking about contacting Overstreet about this issue and finding out where they got this information from. In all my searching (and I have been looking for it). This is about 4 years of solid looking, including many Eerie Pub. collections acquired that had books like Weird #1 from 1966. I never have come across this issue before. Or even seen a cover to it.

-bounty

Found a nice copy of this book recently!

879756-TalesFromTheTombVol3%233.jpg

It also included a surprise for me! A story that some forum members and I talked about some time ago: "The Ghoul and the Guest".

Obviously with some redrawing from the Pre-Code Voodoo Annual. See and compare...

879756-TalesFromTheTombVol3%233Page.jpg879756-638950-IMGP1997.jpg

The splash from the Voodoo Annual was originally posted by Paull.

879756-638950-IMGP1997.jpg.f193d09846dbec4a23ce2d85f8b9502d.jpg

Picked this one up by chance last week while on vacation in Mystic Connecticut!

Strange that it is also a Vol. 3 # 3... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

879766-WeirdVampireTalesVol3%233.jpg

Dang Jay those are sweet. I love how the mummy is putting the mouth pull headlock on the vampire 70's wresting style.

27_laughing.gif

-bounty