• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

Dont think Ive seen that one before. Cripes, Im gonna have to concentrate on Skywald very soon. I've been hitting the silver age hard for the last year but Im getting the mag itch once again.

The issue despite being called the 1974 Fall Special is really Psycho # 22 although it is not stated as such in the indecia. I believe the OS guide finally straightened that out years ago which was a big relief for me since I thought I was never going to find a #22, then realized I had the issue all along! crazy.gif

While we are at a temporary Crime spot I thought that I would put up this Extremely Gritty Cover. Murder Tales 2nd issue in a two issue series...Scarce as far as I'm concerned.For the longest time I had never known what this cover looked like, until I stumbled upon it one day. It hit me like a ton of bricks tonofbricks.gif. While such a brutal and evil cover, it really was painted and captured well. One of the true gems in my collection. 565256-Murder_Tales_V1_%2311.jpg

I hope it's not too much of a stretch, but I think this may be a cover swipe from a 1962 issue of TRUE DETECTIVE....take a look , what do you think ?? truedetective1962.jpg

A few Eerie pubs i've managed to pick up this year:

c46c56ed.jpg

094aaa82.jpg

82d0376e.jpg

9e48ce0b.jpg

119135c5.jpg

2c780570.jpg

c88661e2.jpg

73bf6b8f.jpg

Thanks to Bounty for starting this thread (these books wouldn’t have appeared on the collecting radar otherwise); of all the books in my collection, these provoke the biggest & best reaction from my chums. thumbsup2.gif

The main reason Eerie Publications are so hard to find is that collectors regarded them as complete JUNK when they were coming out. I tried trading them in at local comic stores more than once in the '70s and was invariably laughed at for having bought them in the first place.

As for their distribution, there was no problem finding them here in Vancouver. In fact, more stores seemed to have them than Warren magazines.

Eerie publications weren't bought by collectors who put them in plastic bags and treasured forever. They were generally read once and then thrown away.

Also, Warren Publishing had all of their own unsold magazines returned to them to sell as back issues. When they had their big bankruptcy sale in the '80s, lots of their old issues sold off in perfect condition - which is why so many good copies of Warren comics can be found on Ebay.

Good point. I treasured pretty much all Warren publications back in the 60's and 70's but treated Eerie, Stanley, Curtis and Skywald products as strictly reading material I tossed out or gave away. Over the years I've acquired several Eerie and Stanley mags in VF-NM condition but found they are scarce in high grade and go for top dollar from now enlightened dealers, while quite a few Creepy and Eerie issues can be had on the cheap if one does their homework.

This has got to be the single scariest Skywald magazine ever produced!!!

If you are faint of heart, turn back now.

There's still time to do something else........anything else would be better.

Final warning........You're on your own after this.

I'm not kidding. :makepoint:

58713-judyg.jpg

:sick: