• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing comic now turned up on eBay, seller silver-acre. Help

338 posts in this topic

That's very nice of you. Its just for reasons like that i no longer ship outside the US. Many buyers want you to do something a little funky due to customs and it can result in being on the hook for quite a bit of cash like in this instance. Personally i think the buyer should offer to eat the difference in compensation being as it was his idea to under insure i know i would.

Well, Mar-vell, of course you can choose whatever you deem approppriate, but buyers outside the US constantly deal with US buyers as it’s the only choice, if you collect american comics.

So we see no big deal in finding reasonable agreements and buying and selling all over the world.

Besides this,I do think it just takes integrity, and faith – in other people as well, not to incur in problems. I have never asked for a refund if the problem wasn’t the seller’s fault. Of course we weren’t speaking of such costly items, but generally I never asked any kind of refund if the problem wasn’t the seller’s fault.

Using that as an excuse not to ship international isn't fair. Ultimatly you just loose out on potential sales. 2 things:

1. Not everyone will ask you to declare an item at a lower rate just as not every comic dealer in the UK is like Darryl.

2. Comics in the UK (and possibly the EU?) are not subject to any taxes so you could send a Detective 27, value it at 100k and not be charged a penny.

That is particularly interesting, Anfield. Anything declared as "books", "comic books" "printed matter" or the like in Italy not only is subject to custom taxes (which usually are about 7-13USD plus a 4% of the declared value+shipping value) but there is always the risk that BY MISTAKE they apply the average VAT fee, which is not 4% but 21%! :o

Last time I placed a 50USD or so order from Metropolis I had to pay – because of this mistake – about $34 of taxes. Imagine this happening with a costlu book… it hits hard… :eek:

Of course, the fact that Metropolis generally uses FedEx does not help, as FedEx charges a fixed fee of 10Euro (about 13USD) just to perform the customs practices (while with USPS postal items it‘s about 7USD).

Said this, we have here an example of integrity from both seller and buyer which is truly uplifting. Thanks guys! (thumbs u

Don't contact the Police that's a waste of time, go right to the County Prosecutor's office in your county and bring all your information, ofcourse make a police report if you haven't already but go to the big guys, they will guide you in the right path. If your in a small town, go to the AG's office.

So the book turns up on ComicConnect..

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=492747

You need to let Metropolis know if you haven't already. They won't sell the book unless they have it in hand so if the book is in the US, you might be able to get it back. And they will have either purchase or consignment info may would allow the USPS inspectors to backtrack to the original thief.

Mail theft is a federal crime. The USPS are the appropriate authorities.

So the book turns up on ComicConnect..

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=492747

You need to let Metropolis know if you haven't already. They won't sell the book unless they have it in hand so if the book is in the US, you might be able to get it back. And they will have either purchase or consignment info may would allow the USPS inspectors to backtrack to the original thief.

Mail theft is a federal crime. The USPS are the appropriate authorities.

And the USPS inspectors have some real teeth.That arent like Jimmy at the mall.

That's very nice of you. Its just for reasons like that i no longer ship outside the US. Many buyers want you to do something a little funky due to customs and it can result in being on the hook for quite a bit of cash like in this instance. Personally i think the buyer should offer to eat the difference in compensation being as it was his idea to under insure i know i would.

Well, Mar-vell, of course you can choose whatever you deem approppriate, but buyers outside the US constantly deal with US buyers as it’s the only choice, if you collect american comics.

So we see no big deal in finding reasonable agreements and buying and selling all over the world.

Besides this,I do think it just takes integrity, and faith – in other people as well, not to incur in problems. I have never asked for a refund if the problem wasn’t the seller’s fault. Of course we weren’t speaking of such costly items, but generally I never asked any kind of refund if the problem wasn’t the seller’s fault.

Using that as an excuse not to ship international isn't fair. Ultimatly you just loose out on potential sales. 2 things:

1. Not everyone will ask you to declare an item at a lower rate just as not every comic dealer in the UK is like Darryl.

2. Comics in the UK (and possibly the EU?) are not subject to any taxes so you could send a Detective 27, value it at 100k and not be charged a penny.

That is particularly interesting, Anfield. Anything declared as "books", "comic books" "printed matter" or the like in Italy not only is subject to custom taxes (which usually are about 7-13USD plus a 4% of the declared value+shipping value) but there is always the risk that BY MISTAKE they apply the average VAT fee, which is not 4% but 21%! :o

Last time I placed a 50USD or so order from Metropolis I had to pay – because of this mistake – about $34 of taxes. Imagine this happening with a costlu book… it hits hard… :eek:

Of course, the fact that Metropolis generally uses FedEx does not help, as FedEx charges a fixed fee of 10Euro (about 13USD) just to perform the customs practices (while with USPS postal items it‘s about 7USD).

Said this, we have here an example of integrity from both seller and buyer which is truly uplifting. Thanks guys! (thumbs u

Explain to me what the problem is in marking it a "gift"... After all, isn't it a gift to yourself? When I used to ship internationally, (I completely stopped selling anything out of the states as of 2013) I "accidentally" used to leave the box unchecked. The postal clerk never asked me to correct such an oversight.

Why don't I ship internationally anymore?

Example 1:

Sell a loose vintage GI Joe figure. I say boxed priority only. Buyer demands for it to be in an envelope with bubble wrap. GI Joe figure arrives damaged. Complains. Sends pic of damage. Whatever, for $10 take your money back and go away.

Example 2:

Sell a cheap book, buyer wants it boxed. Cannot understand how shipping can be more that the price of the $10 item. Non paying bidder.

I could go on and on. How about the old, I want the cheapest method of shipping possible, but cannot understand how and why it takes over a week to get to me?

To me? International sales are not worth it anymore.

Explain to me what the problem is in marking it a "gift"... After all, isn't it a gift to yourself? When I used to ship internationally, (I completely stopped selling anything out of the states as of 2013) I "accidentally" used to leave the box unchecked. The postal clerk never asked me to correct such an oversight.

Why don't I ship internationally anymore?

Example 1:

Sell a loose vintage GI Joe figure. I say boxed priority only. Buyer demands for it to be in an envelope with bubble wrap. GI Joe figure arrives damaged. Complains. Sends pic of damage. Whatever, for $10 take your money back and go away.

Example 2:

Sell a cheap book, buyer wants it boxed. Cannot understand how shipping can be more that the price of the $10 item. Non paying bidder.

I could go on and on. How about the old, I want the cheapest method of shipping possible, but cannot understand how and why it takes over a week to get to me?

To me? International sales are not worth it anymore.

Make it clear to international buyers that everything ships in a box and that the rate is the rate, with insurance for more expensive items - take it or leave it and absolutely no exceptions. And an international buyer, especially one in Europe, who expects First Class or priority packages to arrive in less than ten days every time needs to be made aware of how things work, so put that in the auction blurb too.

The way things are for U.K. buyers with the rubbish pound and large USPS price hikes mean that not many will bid on your items, but those that do (such as myself) understand the situation and will not ask to cut corners or try to mess you around.

I would find it hard to sell small items internationally when the shipping costs more than the product. However if the terms are made clear that they're set in stone, you'll find that buyers from abroad will not be problematic.

Not only that, Buzzetta.

As I have said, it all depends on the seriousness of the parties involved. I was not thinking chiefly of eBay sales, mostly of board or professional sales.

Example 1: Why that buyer complained because the toy got damaged, as it was entirely his fault, as he asked you to pack it unsafely? As you see, problem is not nationality, but attitude.

Example 2: A non paying bidder attitude already tells you everything.

He could have simply offered to refund you the eBay fees and something for your inconvenience instead. Again, as you see, it is not a problem of handling international sales.

As I said, everyone chooses as he thinks fair, and I find understandable when a eBay seller does not want to worry about shipping internationally, but at least he should offer the option, by stating clearly his position in the auctions.

I mean, he should not "block" overseas buyers just because he does not provide the option beforehand, he should simply state that as a rule he generally prefers not ship overseas.

An example is Lee's comics, which is present on eBay. He had a book I really wished to have for some reason (not necessarily a collectible) but he has actually blocked any communication (even eBay messages) with Europe.

I had to take an incredibly complicate route to reach him – but I managed to do so, through eBay – and then a friend of mine which works in Mountain View did me the favor to hand-pick the book from Lee's store and bring it to me the subsequent Easter as he came here in Italy.

Again, I just think it is fair to at least offer the possibility of getting in touch. It all depends on who you are dealing with. :)

The problem in marking the item as a "gift" is not a big problem, it just makes sure they will make you pay a fixed fee of about $7 plus 4% of a guess extimated value, as people used to do so to cheat customs.

It can be a way, but it is better to generally declare a value and mark the item correctly. :)

As I said, everyone chooses as he thinks fair, and I find understandable when a eBay seller does not want to worry about shipping internationally, but at least he should offer the option, by stating clearly his position in the auctions.

I mean, he should not "block" overseas buyers just because he does not provide the option beforehand, he should simply state that as a rule he generally prefers not ship overseas.

Says who? You? If the man doesn't want to deal with overseas shipping, that's his prerogative. He doesn't owe you, or anyone for that matter, an explanation on why he chooses not to.

Says who? You? If the man doesn't want to deal with overseas shipping, that's his prerogative. He doesn't owe you, or anyone for that matter, an explanation on why he chooses not to.

Ah, but he did provide an explanation. And vaillant is perfectly entitled to reply to it.