• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing comic now turned up on eBay, seller silver-acre. Help

338 posts in this topic

I just find it hard to believe that someone would take a book to a con and trade it away after it had just been purchased on ebay 5 days prior. What was he expecting to do if Jo had paid for the book?

It is actually 3 days plus some odd number of hours.

If the con occurred on Saturday at noon in the UK it was 3 days, 7 hours and 15 minutes after the ebay buy it now button was pushed. I rounded to 4 days earlier, but it is clearly not 5 days as Daryl claimed.

Geoffrey's Comics is South East of me. Too far from me to shop there. I've shopped there once, maybe twice.

However I do know a couple of people that used to work there, or used to frequent there.

I'm more interested in finding out the identity of the seller at Geoffrey's.

It's most likely a postal worker, customs, or airline worker. I bet the package was routed through LAX or a Los Angeles USPS facility at or near the airport on it's way to Australia.

Did the label identify clearly what was inside, or did it just state "Comic Book"?

Geoffrey's Comics is South East of me. Too far from me to shop there. I've shopped there once, maybe twice.

However I do know a couple of people that used to work there, or used to frequent there.

It's most likely a postal worker, customs, or airline worker. I bet the package was routed through LAX or a Los Angeles USPS facility at or near the airport on it's way to Australia.

Did the label identify clearly what was inside, or did it just state "Comic Book"?

This was my thought process as well Dre. I am sure it was swiped while in route to through LAX. Tracking shows that the box went from TN to FL and that is the last place it shows up. I assume that the plane landed in LAX for a transfer or refueling of some sort.

The label stated "Book"

That's very nice of you. Its just for reasons like that i no longer ship outside the US. Many buyers want you to do something a little funky due to customs and it can result in being on the hook for quite a bit of cash like in this instance. Personally i think the buyer should offer to eat the difference in compensation being as it was his idea to under insure i know i would.

Not to take anything away from Doug, but I paid with the context of the item being shipped via FedEx but it was sent via usps express. No one could have predicted this thing to happen but I would imagine this thing occurring would have been slim if shipped via a private company instead of going through government postal services. I offered to split any rewards payment for return of the comic.

What you are saying may be true down under, but in the states the best service for valuable items is USPS. I assume the reason he did not send it FedEx is that he found it could not be insured for more than a token amount. And we have had our share of stories of FedEx and UPS items go missing as well.

I guess it was this book then?

TOS #39

yes it was,

good to see everyone ripping Geoffreys Comics to bits

or doesn't that matter >

Well when I contacted Geoffreys comics they were helpful and provided me with the ID and Address of the seller of the book. They also agreed to help in anyway possible. Where on the flip side Silver-acre seems more interested in telling me that he no longer has the book, does not know who has it, and is asking that this post be deleted before he spends anymore time on the subject.

I just find it hard to believe that someone would take a book to a con and trade it away after it had just been purchased on ebay 5 days prior. What was he expecting to do if Jo had paid for the book?

So the real question here from talking to Geoffrey's Comics does it sound like they honestly sold the book to Silver-acre without any idea that it was "hot"? Or does that not add up also?

Sadly sounds pretty damn clear that someone pointed this thread out to Silver-acre and as soon as they knew they were holding the hot potato it is magically no where to be found. Yeah not at all damn shady.

This was my thought process as well Dre. I am sure it was swiped while in route to through LAX. Tracking shows that the box went from TN to FL and that is the last place it shows up. I assume that the plane landed in LAX for a transfer or refueling of some sort.

The label stated "Book"

I'm pretty sure most, if not all USPS Priority/Express packages to Australia go through LAX due to distance involved. Don't hold me to it, could be wrong.

I have a quite a few Aussie customers and their packages get their very quickly (just days) since I'm in L.A.

The label stated "Book"

I'm pretty sure most, if not all USPS Priority/Express packages to Australia go through LAX due to distance involved. Don't hold me to it, could be wrong.

I have a quite a few Aussie customers and their packages get their very quickly (just days) since I'm in L.A.

I agree I think that is the way they are sent it would make more sense than for them to cross through Europe and Asia lol . The book was supposed to be sent Fed-Ex but I couldnt get out of some work that day and didnt have time to drop it off. USPS picks up at my office so I had them take the book since the buyer was asking for it to be mailed asap since he was going to be gone on Holiday.

To: geoffreys_comics

Subject: Re: Other: happycollector9 sent a message about Tales Of Suspense #39 CGC VG+ 4.5 1st Appearance Of Iron Man!! #400387022144

Sent Date: 26-Jan-13 20:00:27 GMT

Dear geoffreys_comics,

Hi Thanks for the reply, i dont know how to access this, i was told about it at a comic show today, if you add in silver acre comics or silveracre which is my main company name the details should come up, i purchased this comic through my buying account happycollector9 and sold it through by business account silver-acre, the guy who says it his book is a joseph wakim ebay used wakim_000 and the item number he purchased it on ebay was 360572023996 , i know you are a good guy as Harley said about you years ago, i have to go home from my warehouse now as its late at night and will not be able to respond until monday but you help would be greatly appricated.

Regards Darryl

- happycollector9

So Daryl emailed geoffreys the evening of the Leeds show to tell him he found out during the show that the book was stolen. Later by the time he wrote the email he has found out that the ebay buyer is Joseph who has claimed the book was stolen. Throughout the email he never mentioned that he "traded" the book at the show.

I still don't understand. If board member A sent the package to board B in Australia,how did the book get to Geoffrey's comics in So. Calif.Then from there go all the way to England? It's astonishing to me,And I just can't wrap my head around this whole senario. (shrug)

There is obviously a world wide network of criminals selling comic books.

A sort of comic mafia? hmlol

f6kzkV4.jpg

It is very difficult to like this thread as much as I do considering the OP's loss, this thread replaced Cal's on my must read daily.

Just so everyone knows the OP has been fully compensated for the book. Even though he had me under insure it for customs fees I have refunded him the full purchase amount out of pocket. As I am now dealing with my insurance and law enforcement here on my end to get everything settled. I didnt feel that it was right for him to wait while everything was being sorted out.

You are the definition of a top bloke Doug.

If anything comes from this thread, at the pain and angst of the OP and Doug and the financial out-of-pocket for Doug, is that my awareness, and no-doubt many others, will have been raised.

I had some books on watch from Silver-Acre and I've promptly un-watched those and will never deal.

I'm tempted to publish an article about this on my website - but I'm not sure if that could hinder Doug's progress with the case at this stage, so I'll tread water on it.

Subject: Re: Other: happycollector9 sent a message about Tales Of Suspense #39 CGC VG+ 4.5 1st Appearance Of Iron Man!! #400387022144

Dear geoffreys_comics,

Hi Thanks for the reply, i dont know how to access this, i was told about it at a comic show today, if you add in silver acre comics or silveracre which is my main company name the details should come up, i purchased this comic through my buying account happycollector9 and sold it through by business account silver-acre, the guy who says it his book is a joseph wakim ebay used wakim_000 and the item number he purchased it on ebay was 360572023996 , i know you are a good guy as Harley said about you years ago, i have to go home from my warehouse now as its late at night and will not be able to respond until monday but you help would be greatly appricated.

Regards Darryl

- happycollector9

So Daryl emailed geoffreys the evening of the Leeds show to tell him he found out during the show that the book was stolen. Later by the time he wrote the email he has found out that the ebay buyer is Joseph who has claimed the book was stolen. Throughout the email he never mentioned that he "traded" the book at the show.

Way too funky. Taking a book off eBay and trading it and then being told its hot. Its all too fantastic.

When he found out did he look around for the guy who now has it ? The room at the Leeds show is small enough to see everyone and Silver Andre's stall is by the door. Did he ask any other dealers if they knew him?

There is at least one other dealer from Leeds on these boards that I think were there on Saturday.

I was close to going too but couldn't be bothered with the 130 mile round trip.

Dear geoffreys_comics,

Regards Darryl

- happycollector9

I think Daryl's just been found out to be telling lies about trading the book away. Not that we didn't know it already but as you say that text incriminated him.

So Daryl, are you going to return the stolen property? (which has probably been cracked out by now).

It is very difficult to like this thread as much as I do considering the OP's loss, this thread replaced Cal's on my must read daily.

Just so everyone knows the OP has been fully compensated for the book. Even though he had me under insure it for customs fees I have refunded him the full purchase amount out of pocket. As I am now dealing with my insurance and law enforcement here on my end to get everything settled. I didnt feel that it was right for him to wait while everything was being sorted out.

That's very nice of you. Its just for reasons like that i no longer ship outside the US. Many buyers want you to do something a little funky due to customs and it can result in being on the hook for quite a bit of cash like in this instance. Personally i think the buyer should offer to eat the difference in compensation being as it was his idea to under insure i know i would.

Using that as an excuse not to ship international isn't fair. Ultimatly you just loose out on potential sales. 2 things:

1. Not everyone will ask you to declare an item at a lower rate just as not every comic dealer in the UK is like Darryl.

2. Comics in the UK (and possibly the EU?) are not subject to any taxes so you could send a Detective 27, value it at 100k and not be charged a penny.

.... I'm 100% positive that if your parents read about your exploits they would be thrilled to know....

Well, no, sadly. I was treated like absolute by his father at a Manchester comic mart in the early 90s, while the guy was looking after the Silver Acre stall. Nature and / or nurture ? An interesting case, anyway, with decades' worth of negative experiences for me. Irredeemable.

Wow I dont even know why silveracre even bothered posting, just made himself look even worse. Gives us all a bad name in UK. People like this should not be running businesses.

I feel bad that i've bought from him once in the past, although thankfully only spent a little.