• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC Fanatic Appreciation Weird Thread of Terror

346 posts in this topic

I closed the deal and here she is... I just love this cover. canadian-flag-banana-smiley-emoticon_zpsca4f66c9.gif

Two-FistedTales30cgc96owwgaines01-1_zps09f1bc2e.jpg

It's a beauty (thumbs u

I closed the deal and here she is... I just love this cover. canadian-flag-banana-smiley-emoticon_zpsca4f66c9.gif

Two-FistedTales30cgc96owwgaines01-1_zps09f1bc2e.jpg

First E.C. I ever bought. Classic cover.

One of the first ECs I ever bought as well. I remember picking it out of Harley's EC box at Fax expo here in Toronto about 11 or 12 years ago. I'm happy to replace that beater.

Congratulations! Nothing quite as satisfying as a Gaines File Copy, and of such a great book. When I started putting together my complete EC collection, I wasn't going to spend the money on the GFC's, but each one I bought got me a little more hooked. There is a fresh quality that other books in the same grade just don't possess.

Ted has a GFC of this book that I'm going to look at next weekend (C2E2). I have a bad feeling I'm going to blow the budget on the first day. I've got Metropolis bringing 10 more EC's to look over. Only 37 to go when I include the Picto Fiction Mags.

As in you only need 37 more to have PreTrend and up - :headbang:

That will make a nice group shot! Any pics now?

Congratulations! Nothing quite as satisfying as a Gaines File Copy, and of such a great book. When I started putting together my complete EC collection, I wasn't going to spend the money on the GFC's, but each one I bought got me a little more hooked. There is a fresh quality that other books in the same grade just don't possess.

Isn't that right? I'll never forget my first GFC... (How could I? I still have it. Weird Science 14... never been graded, but a lock for 9.6)... I had a nearly impossible time wrapping my head around the fact that it was a genuine EC comic book. I began to suspect that Russ Cochran had secretly run off a batch of diabolically realistic EC reproductions, and was passing them off as "file copies".

I only have one GFC, a Haunt of Fear 27 with the COA. It's 9 of 12, I got it from Worldwide, and they graded it a VF/NM. I'm trying to put together a high grade HOF run, and I've found some nice non pedigrees for good prices. But none of them match the Gaines copy for freshness or gloss.

HoF_27_90.jpg

Beautiful! How close to completing the run are you?

I've kind of stalled lately. I don't even own half of the run yet. I've been concentrating on issues in the teens and twenties. I really want the first and second issues, but they are getting more and more scarce(especially in decent shape).

I guess I should specifiy what a complete run for me is. For me, it's everything from Vault 12/Crypt of Terror 17 through 1956, and also the tryouts in War Against Crime and Crime Patrol. After I'm done with all this, I may go back for the pre-trend stuff, but it doesn't give me the same level of satisfaction.

Could take me awhile on the ultra difficult first Tales of Terror Annual and Shock Illustrated 3. I also keep getting distracted doing upgrades. The goal is to have everything in VF or better, which the large majority of mine are now, but there will be upgrading to do. Just wish I'd had more budget as a lot of books shook loose in the last year and a half. I've ended up with about 70 GFC's, but wish they all were.

I've taken some group shots of the completed series, and will try to get them hosted and posted on this thread sometime soon.

Also, congrats to the purchaser on the HOF 27. You beat me to it by a week, so now I'm buying the one from Metropolis, but will have to pay a fair bit more.

If anyone has anything of interest, here is what I've got left to get:

Crime Illustrated 2

Confessions Illustrated 1,2

Frontline Combat 1, 3, 13, 14

Crypt Of Terror 19 (Think I'm buying the one from Ted next weekend)

Haunt of Fear 17 (3), 5

Mad 3, 6, 7 , 8, 9, 11, 13, 17, 21

M.D. 2

Psychoanalysis 4

Terror Illustrated 2

Shock Illustrated 1, 3

Tales of Terror 1, 2, 3

Two Fisted Tales 18, 19, 20, 25, 36 Annual 1

Valor 3

Vault of Horror 12 (1)

Weird Science Fantasy Annual 1

War Against Crime 11

That's it.

A noble quest! (thumbs u

Not sure what the short-term trend on the GFCs has been, but over the long-run a lot of them have lost significant value. So maybe you were better off not buying them earlier.

I don't know much about the past history of the GFC's but I have noticed that the ones I've been interested in seem reasonably priced now. Maybe they were just extremely over priced with the all the hype when they were first released?

I don't know much about the past history of the GFC's but I have noticed that the ones I've been interested in seem reasonably priced now. Maybe they were just extremely over priced with the all the hype when they were first released?

I think that's it. They were too rich for my blood, but I've picked up a few lately. Just a dabbler, not remotely a completist on ECs.

I could not find a thread dedicated to EC appreciation, so starting my own. Here and there, I read threads with interesting trivia or great discoveries of rare versions etc, but the info is buried and hard to get at without hours of surfing.

Here is an unlisted 1947 EC giveaway...

There are at least four different versions...

137163.jpg.c01ca704cdfab9f3625f7fd43d4556e7.jpg

137164.jpg.38c8cb3278d9be3413352435403f14a0.jpg

137165.jpg.e4feec22e79506b5eabcb39490c49f66.jpg

137166.jpg.eadec18e5542062439119e9db0415bbf.jpg

137167.jpg.3eb2bcadf7917a92a01bde77e3c78099.jpg

Here is an unlisted 1947 EC giveaway...

There are at least four different versions...

(worship)

I haven't been able to get my hands on one in over 15 years of waiting...and you've got all 4 variations!

BOOT - you da man

I seem to remember being the underbidder maybe a year and a half ago on a Shock Illustrated 3 on Comiclink. I think it went for around $2400 Gaines 9.6, I believe. The last copy of Tales Of Terror 1 was on HA last spring, it was a 4.5 and was over $2800. I have a feeling that's going to be the final book at the end of my quest.

You just never see ToT 1, although I seem to remember Bedrock posting a HG copy on the boards at some point.

Just an amazing run Steve! Any HG Tales from the Crypt duplicates you can sell me? :devil:

At the moment, I have VF duplicates of TFTC 25 and 32. I am finally replacing my 24 and 26 next weekend with GFC's, but the duplicates will be a VG and F/VF respectively.

Congrats on the 24 pickup! One of the best covers in the run and for some reason it seems like copies don't come up for sale that often.

Too bad the undercopy is only VG. I'm missing 22, 24, 37, 38, 44, and 46 :sorry: