• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are these board(s) for?

215 posts in this topic

The subject of this post is a bit of a rhetoric question. I 've always felt these board(s) were for the exchange of ideas about comic book collecting, sharing opinions about various publishers, creators, books, etc. and including the technical aspects of comic book preservation and more.

But what I don't get is, and I've seen this more than once, new person posts a question and the first response by a boardie is, e.g., "If you would have searched the boards you would found this questions have been discussed so many times! and the response is just awash with attitude or my other favorite is someone posts a technical question and the very first response is some asinine bulls**t. Clearly if the boardie is someone you know that is a different story but if they aren't, why respond like that right out of the box if you don't know them well? Is there a segment of the boardie population with really weak social skills, more so than in the general population?

As near as I can tell, there is a sub-group here that considers new people unworthy of their profound advice. I think it is that way for new people on any board, and this one is not as bad as some.

The subject of this post is a bit of a rhetoric question. I've always felt these board(s) were for the exchange of ideas about comic book collecting, sharing opinions about various publishers, creators, books, etc. and including the technical aspects of comic book preservation and more.

But what I don't get is, and I've seen this more than once, new person posts a question and the first response by a border is, e.g., "If you would have searched the boards you would found this questions have been discussed so many times! and the response is just awash with attitude or my other favorite is someone posts a technical question and the very first response is some asinine bulls**t. Clearly if the border is someone you know that is a different story but if they aren't, why respond like that right out of the box if you don't know them well? Is there a segment of the boardie population with really weak social skills, more so than in the general population?

You may not have gotten the memo on this. There is a random hazing period

to determine if you are for real, a shill, serious, easily offended, or someone

in for the long haul. As you post more, become more "known", you will find that

things get better. Time and posting style are your friends, relax and enjoy.

Nearly ever board you will ever go to is just like that. Neophytes will get hazed just because they are new, it's the way things go on the Internet. This place is far and away one of the friendlier boards to the newbs though.

I like to think of them as :preach: who consider the boards their lawn and want no one on it or hipsters who don't want the boards going 'mainstream.' They are just trying to protect something the like a lot.

The subject of this post is a bit of a rhetoric question. I 've always felt these board(s) were for the exchange of ideas about comic book collecting, sharing opinions about various publishers, creators, books, etc. and including the technical aspects of comic book preservation and more.

But what I don't get is, and I've seen this more than once, new person posts a question and the first response by a boardie is, e.g., "If you would have searched the boards you would found this questions have been discussed so many times! and the response is just awash with attitude or my other favorite is someone posts a technical question and the very first response is some asinine bulls**t. Clearly if the boardie is someone you know that is a different story but if they aren't, why respond like that right out of the box if you don't know them well? Is there a segment of the boardie population with really weak social skills, more so than in the general population?

Try the search function, Bozo.

If you would have searched the boards you would found these questions have been discussed so many times.

It's clear, if you look anything like your avatar, you ain't laid naked with anyone in who knows how long!

Hi,

I think there are 2 sides to this.

1. Any newcomer to a group situation in which the group has already been established for quite some time should be aware of that fact, and thereby adjust their approach appropriately. For example, I myself always search first and then see if I really need to post. Why not be sensitive to the fact that your topic may have been discussed before (and in some cases ad nauseum)? A newcomer should expect that their topic has probably been discussed before.

2. On the other hand, even when a new poster brings up a topic that is new or with a different take on it, some are friendly and some downright not. (Though most of the time, I think most are friendly. And I myself enjoy being on the boards). But the concept of "hazing" (in any form) is complete bs. Bullying is complete bs. I could easily use stronger words here. (And I bring up this word "hazing" only because some one else has).

Every well-established internet forum I've ever seen considers it bad form for a newbie to sign up and start firing off questions, without at least attempting to do a search in order to see if their questions have been answered many times before. This place is no exception.

As for weak social skills, a newcomer entering an established group and telling them they're doing it wrong, without taking the time to understand the group dynamic, isn't what I would consider to be an example of adept social skills.

WTTB!

Part of learning is learning how to feed yourself.

There are plenty of snide, smart arse comments but there are also lots of positive, constructive ones as well.

Instructing someone to use the search function (or better yet, showing them how to do it) is going to help that person asking the question more than just spoon feeding him or her the answer.

Some of us have been around a long time and have heard the same questions asked time and time again and sometimes we get a little jaded. We're human, it happens.

Personally, I blame the mods for some of this because after 13 years they still refuse to sticky some important posting and search function information at the top of each forum.

Or at the very least, this video:

Every well-established internet forum I've ever seen considers it bad form for a newbie to sign up and start firing off questions, without at least attempting to do a search in order to see if their questions have been answered many times before. This place is no exception.

As for weak social skills, a newcomer entering an established group and telling them they're doing it wrong, without taking the time to understand the group dynamic, isn't what I would consider to be an example of adept social skills.

WTTB!

In case JohnFranklin doesn know what it means and wants to start a thread about it, WTTB = Welcome To The Boards.

:baiting:

WTTB!

In case JohnFranklin doesn know what it means and wants to start a thread about it, WTTB = Welcome To The Boards.

I meant When Troubled Try Boobs.

WTTB!

I meant When Troubled Try Boobs.

Boobs are able to bring world peace. Was there every any doubt?

It's clear, if you look anything like your avatar, you ain't laid naked with anyone in who knows how long!

zing