• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are these board(s) for?

215 posts in this topic

These boards are here for my amusement. If I feel like giving a good answer I do. If I feel like being a wiseass ... :shrug:

I'm still waiting to see a good answer :popcorn:

:foryou:

It's a problem for any chat board. The old timers have talked to death most of the issues the board was established to discuss. As a result, they end up talking among themselves about a lot of OT stuff and most threads quickly drift OT. People new to the board then get ignored and drift away. The result can be a death spiral as participation drops and eventually the board becomes moribund. This board has avoided that fate ... at least for now.

I don't have much sympathy for the many "Learn how to use the search function" responses. So what if a topic has been discussed before? Anyone who is bored with the issue can skip it. New members are joining every day -- at least, I hope they are! -- and may want to actively discuss the issue, even if old timers aren't interested. Actively discussing an issue has more value than reading what people had to say last year or four years ago or whatever.

In addition, when someone revives a thread from a few years ago, they almost always get slammed for doing so. New members are supposed to just read old threads and never post? Good luck with keeping the board going with that approach.

My "Still 10 cents"

It's a problem for any chat board. The old timers have talked to death most of the issues the board was established to discuss. As a result, they end up talking among themselves about a lot of OT stuff and most threads quickly drift OT. People new to the board then get ignored and drift away. The result can be a death spiral as participation drops and eventually the board becomes moribund. This board has avoided that fate ... at least for now.

I don't have much sympathy for the many "Learn how to use the search function" responses. So what if a topic has been discussed before? Anyone who is bored with the issue can skip it. New members are joining every day -- at least, I hope they are! -- and may want to actively discuss the issue, even if old timers aren't interested. Actively discussing an issue has more value than reading what people had to say last year or four years ago or whatever.

In addition, when someone revives a thread from a few years ago, they almost always get slammed for doing so. New members are supposed to just read old threads and never post? Good luck with keeping the board going with that approach.

My "Still 10 cents"

:golfclap: