• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are these board(s) for?

215 posts in this topic

PROMETHEUS SUX!!!

I enjoyed it.

You enjoy Watson :fear:

And it was the best £10 he ever spent.

:sumo:

I didn't know you were such a cheap date. lol

It depends on the date. For you, they don't print enough money.

smiley_wink.gif

It's a problem for any chat board. The old timers have talked to death most of the issues the board was established to discuss. As a result, they end up talking among themselves about a lot of OT stuff and most threads quickly drift OT. People new to the board then get ignored and drift away. The result can be a death spiral as participation drops and eventually the board becomes moribund. This board has avoided that fate ... at least for now.

I don't have much sympathy for the many "Learn how to use the search function" responses. So what if a topic has been discussed before? Anyone who is bored with the issue can skip it. New members are joining every day -- at least, I hope they are! -- and may want to actively discuss the issue, even if old timers aren't interested. Actively discussing an issue has more value than reading what people had to say last year or four years ago or whatever.

In addition, when someone revives a thread from a few years ago, they almost always get slammed for doing so. New members are supposed to just read old threads and never post? Good luck with keeping the board going with that approach.

My "Still 10 cents"

This makes sense.

Thanks for taking the OP (Original Poster) seriously.

And you have also added to my insight. You are absolutely right. It certainly CAN be MORE beneficial to actually discuss (with someone who is genuinely interested) rather than just read the previous posts on the topic - not always, but certainly sometimes.

And you are also right: If the long time members do not want to participate in a new discussion of an "old" topic, they don't have to. Although I think when the oldtime members visit the Comics General Board and see too many "old" topics, they may get irritated (human nature). Thus, it MAY be of good value to MAYBE have another sub-category of the Comics General Board (like another board) where NEW members can post for a new discussion on an old topic. That way, if a longtime member does not want to visit that Board, they would not have to. And such posts would not then take up space on the main Comics General board.

Just saying ...

It's a problem for any chat board. The old timers have talked to death most of the issues the board was established to discuss. As a result, they end up talking among themselves about a lot of OT stuff and most threads quickly drift OT. People new to the board then get ignored and drift away. The result can be a death spiral as participation drops and eventually the board becomes moribund. This board has avoided that fate ... at least for now.

I don't have much sympathy for the many "Learn how to use the search function" responses. So what if a topic has been discussed before? Anyone who is bored with the issue can skip it. New members are joining every day -- at least, I hope they are! -- and may want to actively discuss the issue, even if old timers aren't interested. Actively discussing an issue has more value than reading what people had to say last year or four years ago or whatever.

In addition, when someone revives a thread from a few years ago, they almost always get slammed for doing so. New members are supposed to just read old threads and never post? Good luck with keeping the board going with that approach.

My "Still 10 cents"

This makes sense.

And you have also added to my insight. You are absolutely right. It certainly CAN be MORE beneficial to actually discuss (with someone who is genuinely interested) rather than just read the previous posts on the topic - not always, but certainly sometimes.

And you are also right: If the long time members do not want to participate in a new discussion of an "old" topic, they don't have to. Although I think when the oldtime members visit the Comics General Board and see too many "old" topics, they may get irritated (human nature). Thus, it MAY be of good value to MAYBE have another sub-category of the Comics General Board (like another board) where NEW members can post for a new discussion on an old topic. That way, if a longtime member does not want to visit that Board, they would not have to. And such posts would not then take up space on the main Comics General board.

Just saying ...

The biggest flaw in your plan is that most long time members simply love to bitch and moan.

My "Still 10 cents"

This makes sense.

Just saying ...

The biggest flaw in your plan is that most long time members simply love to bitch and moan.

You're transferring again.

pretty sure every sizable forum on the internet is like that.

Hit the nail on the head

I respectfully disagree.

Just because others are that way does not mean we have to be. I mean this as a general concept: What is that saying ... something like "Just because everyone else is jumping off the cliff does not mean you have to" (not sure if that is the correct wording).

Rather than living by the base common denominator, one can strive for something better.

And another thing: I could not care less what other internet forums do or do not do. There is only one reason I am here: because I am interested in comics, in knowing about them, learning about them, and sharing about them. There is a reason I am not a part of any other internet forum. And could not care less about any of them.

....that, and after a bit they will just put you on ignore and never read or comment on your posts again. It will be as if you don't exist :popcorn:

pretty sure every sizable forum on the internet is like that.

Hit the nail on the head

I respectfully disagree.

Just because others are that way does not mean we have to be. I mean this as a general concept: What is that saying ... something like "Just because everyone else is jumping off the cliff does not mean you have to" (not sure if that is the correct wording).

Rather than living by the base common denominator, one can strive for something better.

And another thing: I could not care less what other internet forums do or do not do. There is only one reason I am here: because I am interested in comics, in knowing about them, learning about them, and sharing about them. There is a reason I am not a part of any other internet forum. And could not care less about any of them.

Don't mistake my remark as acceptance. Could we be better than that? Perhaps, however it is what it is.

I'm going to put this bluntly. If you have a problem with that way it is here, then perhaps this isn't the place for you.

Personally, I like it here. I like (most of) the people. I like the personalities. I like the interaction.

And I could not care less about anyone who disagrees with that.