• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread

271 posts in this topic

meh, just accept it as it is. A few titles have scores that are wacky but most of them are pretty consistent. Buy enough books and it won't really matter to you any more.

I am talking to you. And using OPG is a completely stupid idea. OPG doesn't even price CGC books. An accurate "adjustment" would require GPA and combing consignment, retail and auction sites for constant updates. Just deal with the algorithm. If you are hell bent for leather to get more points then buy more books or buy books that are worth more points. It's ridiculous to suggest constant overhauls based on FMV. It's tough enough for the staff to keep up with real mistakes that need to be corrected and to keep up with creating all the new sets, without having to deal with an FMV based points system. It's a bad idea. It's been suggested many times before and it has always been a bad idea.

You do not read or comprehend what you read very well do you? Either read what I put in print again, or stop talking. You are not responding to what I posted.

You are blathering on about some assumed ideas or agendas which I did not say. I say what I mean, and I don't insinuate, or say the opposite of what I mean. You have assumed all of those things from me, and you are wrong.

I am talking to you. And using OPG is a completely stupid idea. OPG doesn't even price CGC books. An accurate "adjustment" would require GPA and combing consignment, retail and auction sites for constant updates. Just deal with the algorithm. If you are hell bent for leather to get more points then buy more books or buy books that are worth more points. It's ridiculous to suggest constant overhauls based on FMV. It's tough enough for the staff to keep up with real mistakes that need to be corrected and to keep up with creating all the new sets, without having to deal with an FMV based points system. It's a bad idea. It's been suggested many times before and it has always been a bad idea.

Sean....yeah I'm talking to you! :roflmao:

You really are good people! ^^

You do not read or comprehend what you read very well do you? Either read what I put in print again, or stop talking. You are not responding to what I posted.

You are blathering on about some assumed ideas or agendas which I did not say. I say what I mean, and I don't insinuate, or say the opposite of what I mean. You have assumed all of those things from me, and you are wrong.

My reading comprehension is just fine. Whether or not I made incorrect inferences is a completely separate issue. As it relates to responding to what someone has posted, physician, heal thyself. You have failed to address the issue of how tying the Registry to FMV in a way that actually reflects FMV is better for CGC, or for the Registry users. Other than stating that it is what you want, there has been absolutely no exposition by you as to this issue

The bottom line is that tying the Registry to FMV is and has always been completely untenable. Adjusting the scores to reflect FMV does not further the marketing purposes of maintaining the Registry. The limited resources that CGC can apply to the maintenance of the Registry are better used by correcting actual errors and expanding the number of sets.

I have seen the FMV argument many times, and as such I was unnecessarily brusque in my responses. For that I apologize. I tend to be overly protective of the Registry, because it is the only system that I have ever been able to use to keep certain aspects of my collection organized. I also respect how much people enjoy the competitive nature of the Registry, even though that is not a major impetus for my use of it. All I would ask is that we all be mindful of the amount of work that goes into maintaining it. It is not a direct revenue generator for CGC and as such is always potentially on the chopping block when times are lean. So thanks to Gemma and CGC for working as hard on it as they do.

Here's a few examples of some books that I believe the points need to be adjusted!

Action Comics #6 CGC 5.0 Current market value: $6000

Current registry points: 1800

Action Comics #11 CGC 5.5 Current market value: $3500

Current registry points: 740

Action Comics #14 CGC 4.0 Current market value: $1600

Current registry points: 430

Action Comics #17 CGC 5.5 Current market value: $3800

Current registry points: 840

Action Comics #19 CGC 5.0 Current market value: $3500

current registry points: 670

Action Comics #23 CGC 4.5 Current market value: $3000

Current registry points: 780

These books are costing $3 - $5 per point!

Hi Gemma.

In going through the Valiant registry sets, I noticed a tremendous points difference between the toughest books in 9.8 (Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold; Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Flat Edition) and what used to be perceived as the toughest (Harbinger 1).

Harbinger 1 comes up with 1,500 points, Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold comes up with 80 points, and Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Variant comes up with 240 points. Yet there are 64 examples of Haringer 1 in 9.8 condition, only 14 examples of Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold in 9.8 condition, and only 4 examples of Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Variant in 9.8 condition.

I would recommend A&A 0 Gold and Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Variant be assigned much higher points as they are extremely tough to find at this grade, and sale prices are higher than Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8's.

102667.jpg.ae58538d03f760052c14860e6d3f1099.jpg

102668.jpg.8f11266c22833fe9af6b1736d9ce64fc.jpg

102669.jpg.e3a7402ffef75c7b30861bda105b10c8.jpg

Here's a few examples of some books that I believe the points need to be adjusted!

Action Comics #6 CGC 5.0 Current market value: $6000

Current registry points: 1800

Action Comics #11 CGC 5.5 Current market value: $3500

Current registry points: 740

Action Comics #14 CGC 4.0 Current market value: $1600

Current registry points: 430

Action Comics #17 CGC 5.5 Current market value: $3800

Current registry points: 840

Action Comics #19 CGC 5.0 Current market value: $3500

current registry points: 670

Action Comics #23 CGC 4.5 Current market value: $3000

Current registry points: 780

These books are costing $3 - $5 per point!

I bleed cold hard cash for those of you chasing books that cost $3-$5/point :lol:

:kidaround:

Hi Gemma.

In going through the Valiant registry sets, I noticed a tremendous points difference between the toughest books in 9.8 (Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold; Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Flat Edition) and what used to be perceived as the toughest (Harbinger 1).

Harbinger 1 comes up with 1,500 points, Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold comes up with 80 points, and Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Variant comes up with 240 points. Yet there are 64 examples of Haringer 1 in 9.8 condition, only 14 examples of Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold in 9.8 condition, and only 4 examples of Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Variant in 9.8 condition.

I would recommend A&A 0 Gold and Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Variant be assigned much higher points as they are extremely tough to find at this grade, and sale prices are higher than Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8's.

I also just realized the points do not match between the Valiant Pre-Unity set and the Valiant Variants set. Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold comes up with just 64 points in the second set, and 80 points in the first set.

Whatever is done, please ensure to apply this to all entries.

Thank you.

:foryou:

• Administrator

I will lower the Harbinger somewhat and bring the Archer & Armstrong up closer to the others. It is not possible to represent the true market value of this book as the discrepancy in value between a 9.6 and 9.8 is not properly represented using our scoring algorithm (9.6 = $36 9.8 = $559) and also since the scores are not supposed to directly represent the market value of each grade. This is the same situation with the Eternal Warrior, which is pretty close to the current results (9.6 = $100 9.8 = $535) so I will leave that one alone.

Hey Gemma,

On that note, can we get the scores for a Bone #1 (1st print) adjusted as well? The last CGC 9.8 copy sold for $4900 on comiclink, and CGC 9.6 copies usually fetch $1300-1500.

You currently only get 720 points for a CGC 9.8 copy which seems very, very low ...

Thanks!

I will lower the Harbinger somewhat and bring the Archer & Armstrong up closer to the others. It is not possible to represent the true market value of this book as the discrepancy in value between a 9.6 and 9.8 is not properly represented using our scoring algorithm (9.6 = $36 9.8 = $559) and also since the scores are not supposed to directly represent the market value of each grade. This is the same situation with the Eternal Warrior, which is pretty close to the current results (9.6 = $100 9.8 = $535) so I will leave that one alone.

Thank you, Gemma.

:foryou:

Hey Gemma :hi:

Would it be possible to up the score on the Thicker Than Blood #1 Limited Convention Edition? I've only just noticed that it carries the same points (24) as the regular books in the series, and with a limited run of only 1,000 I think it should at least have a superior points tally to the rest of the books.

I'm not sure of the print run of the other books, but if it helps I could email Simon Reed to find out :)

Thanks for your time!

Gav.