• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

Wow! I love when I come back and there is tons of info!

That cover looks AMAZING! So... Fabian is rockin' the polo shirt now huh? A blank variant too... CAN"T WAIT!

When it comes to the numbers I personally don't see anything bad going on. As previously mentioned, if you can keep 80% of your readers that is a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see readership grow steadily throughout time though.

Thanks for sharing your current reads Frank! I'm going to go download Ex Machina right now.

I know. Glass half full - half empty scenario.

On a side note, can anybody point to me any examples of a title that experience a declining print run but is able to pick up later on WITHOUT a tv show or film announcement?

I am relatively new and I am not seen any titles that manage this kind of trend reversal.

Yes. But you'll have to dig into the history books.

In 1983, Thor was on the verge of cancellation. Sales had been sliding for years. Marvel gave Walt Simonson carte blanche to write and draw what he wanted with the title, and sales soared.

A similar sales pattern was seen with Frank Miller on Daredevil.

Oh, and it looks like November solicits just went live. Check out the cover to FIVE GHOSTS #7--LOST COASTLINES, PART ONE!

tumblr_mrh6uvl1pw1ran91go1_1280.jpg

I forsee a Five Ghosts Peter Panzerfaust crossover series....

the Quest for Neverland

I know. Glass half full - half empty scenario.

On a side note, can anybody point to me any examples of a title that experience a declining print run but is able to pick up later on WITHOUT a tv show or film announcement?

I am relatively new and I am not seen any titles that manage this kind of trend reversal.

Yes. But you'll have to dig into the history books.

In 1983, Thor was on the verge of cancellation. Sales had been sliding for years. Marvel gave Walt Simonson carte blanche to write and draw what he wanted with the title, and sales soared.

A similar sales pattern was seen with Frank Miller on Daredevil.

And prior to that......Claremont run on the X-Men revival with X-Men #94, or the O'Neil/Adams run on GL (although DC still cancelled it due to delayed sales reporting - they did not see how much sales had increased until after the fact :roflmao: ).

Edited by kimik

Oh, and it looks like November solicits just went live. Check out the cover to FIVE GHOSTS #7--LOST COASTLINES, PART ONE!

tumblr_mrh6uvl1pw1ran91go1_1280.jpg

wow

... sorry to cover old ground here but Chris' inks are simply ridiculous. Loving what he does and the style has it's own unique flair as well as being reminiscent of some other sources.

Confession time... in front of the Keyboard having had one too many Sailor Jerry's here :sick: (well nah I'm not that far gone just lazy now... :P ) So has Chris been on the forums? I can't recall..... or has he had interviews? I really like the Eastern / samurai stuff that he does .... does that influence come from anywhere? .... because he kills it.

Aaronc is just our local Debbie Downer lol.. He tends to do this with any book that sees drop in numbers.

:grin: Love the comment lol

Actually, not being negative, just more realistic to counter some of the hyped up optimism lol

Just to be clear, my comments are squarely aimed at the secondary market.

For the primary market, I think 10k is great for a new title. I am a reader as well and buys the digital version on the same day release. It is just that this is the CGC boards and secondary prices are an important part of the discussion here.

Thanks for the examples guys but I am looking more for modern non Big 2 titles. The big 2 have marketing budget, character recognition, retail space placement and a big fan base. These things, unfortunately, are not always available to most creator owned titles.

Secondary markets are important to this business as well as others like cars, video games, movies, etc. People like being part of something that started small and grows into something more like WD or Saga. I couldn't have the collection I have without it. Digital is fine but its a last resort for me. I like the book part of a comic book lol

I hope this book does well in both the primary and secondary market because it is one of my personal favorites. You always hear that " they don't make stuff like that anymore". Well this comic is one they do make like that. I just wouldn't underestimate the power a popular secondary market mover has the power to cause a primary market to grow.

You've made all great, valid points Aaron--I hope you didn't think I was refuting you with my comments. I was just giving an update on how I was looking at things on my end--but I also appreciate hearing your analysis as clearly you (and many other members) know the ebb and flow of the markets!

Aaronc is just our local Debbie Downer lol.. He tends to do this with any book that sees drop in numbers.

Actually, not being negative, just more realistic to counter some of the hyped up optimism lol

For the primary market, I think 10k is great for a new title. I am a reader as well and buys the digital version on the same day release. It is just that this is the CGC boards and secondary prices are an important part of the discussion here.

Thanks for the examples guys but I am looking more for modern non Big 2 titles. The big 2 have marketing budget, character recognition, retail space placement and a big fan base. These things, unfortunately, are not always available to most creator owned titles.

Keep the reality checks coming man, there are too many people pimping books with BS and they person_without_enough_empathy and moan at any post that alludes to reality. There is no sense sticking your head in the sand or whistling by the grave yard like some do around here. This a great book, I like the story and the art and that is going to be what makes or breaks this book on the primary and secondary market not some comment on a message board.

Keep the reality checks coming man, there are too many people pimping books with BS and they person_without_enough_empathy and moan at any post that alludes to reality. There is no sense sticking your head in the sand or whistling by the grave yard like some do around here. This a great book, I like the story and the art and that is going to be what makes or breaks this book on the primary and secondary market not some comment on a message board.

I wholeheartedly agree. We are a tiny percentage of the comics market. I like that this is a title everybody seems to be enjoying. I am always disappointed when something I love to read ends too soon. I think we will be talking about this comic years from now...hopefully :grin:

Edited by The Authority

In that case, things get cloudier. We are still in the early innings of the recent explosion of creator owned projects. The one thing you can take from the examples given, though, is that quality was recognized and rewarded.

You may be able to get some insight from WD. The first few issues, up to about 7 IIRC, were flat at 7K or slightly declining, and then orders began to slowly rise.

Panzerfaust saw a small drop off, I believe, and then a rise at issue 10.

Many other titles may be a bit too young to see a trend yet.

Saga 13 will be interesting. Issue 1 had a 45K print run or so. I think that has slightly increased as subsequent issues have come out. More interesting is the fact that 120K copies of the first tpb have been sold. Will some of those tpb buyers start buying the floppies with issue 13?

Take home message? Great books stand a good chance of being recognized by buyers over time, even if initial issues saw a print run decline.

The one thing of note re: sales is that most (if not 90%) of retailers were under the impression that Five Ghosts was a mini series whilst ordering issues 4 & 5. Yes, that doesn't necessarily account for all of the slide, but I think it was definitely part of it.

Many people still aren't aware of the ongoing status. We're hoping to remedy that with a press release soon.

That is so true Frank. A lot of ongoing were solicited as minis and then if you couple that with some of the indie presses copies just aren't ordered. Take Oni Press books for instance I finally have one lcs in town that carries a few all the rest don't know about Oni Press. lol

The one thing of note re: sales is that most (if not 90%) of retailers were under the impression that Five Ghosts was a mini series whilst ordering issues 4 & 5. Yes, that doesn't necessarily account for all of the slide, but I think it was definitely part of it.

Many people still aren't aware of the ongoing status. We're hoping to remedy that with a press release soon.

Keep interacting here Frank as that certainly helps.

You da man Frank!