• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Glad to see my find exciting some interest! It's definitely a cool piece of Five Ghosts history and very few people seem to have them.

I wanted to add that this particular ashcan is even rarer than I thought--I had lost track a bit of when I had made ashcans, but this one is ACTUALLY from C2E2 '12…predating the SDCC '12 ashcan. I had made ashcans for both, the C2E2 one is particularly unique as it only has the first 6 pages plus penciled pages--the SDCC one has inked pages as well, and an expanded page count that includes characters sketches and most importantly (for identification purposes!) A LETTERS PAGE that is dated 7/2012.

It's a bit late to amend the ebay auction as I don't want to confuse anyone, BUT--this is the rarer of the two by far. Why are these so rare? They are rare because a) I was using them to pitch publishers--I gave away a fair amount to various publishers and industry friends. b) most people who took them from me were TOTAL STRANGERS WHO COULD'VE CARED LESS. Most of these probably ended up on the floor of the con!

I've attached screenshots from email records to show the exactness of these ashcans as I figure it's time to have a hard document of exactly what is what/how many of each there are! So here it is: THE MASTER LIST:

1. Five Ghosts Promotional Ashcan - C2E2 - 16 Pages - 35 COPIES

2. Five Ghosts Promotional Ashcan - SDCC - 28 Pages - 30 COPIES

3. FIve Ghosts #1 - NYCC '12 Self-Published Edition - 40 Pages - 60 COPIES

4. Five Ghosts #1 - ECCC '13 Edition/Variant Cover - 40 Pages - 200 COPIES

5. Five Ghosts #1-5 - SDCC '13 Edition/Variant Covers (SET) - 50 COPIES

6. Five Ghosts #6 - NYCC '13 Edition/Variant Cover - 200 COPIES

And now photos for my orders of the original Ashcans…

Original C2E2 Ashcan order:

lpkv.png

SDCC Ashcan Order:

57bs.png

So consider this the OFFICIAL word on Five Ghosts rarities…and happy bidding!

Looking for sage advice from people in the know. I recently acquired what I believe to be an ashcan of five ghosts (it says so on the inside cover :). But it doesn't seem to be any of the ones listed above. If you include the front and the back cover as official double sided pages, the total page count is 12. The C2E2 has 16 and there's definitely not that many here. Is this something else?Here's some pictures, hoping someone could help me figure out what this is for sure:

PAGE 1: FRONT COVER

image.jpg

PAGES 2-3:

P_2_3.jpg

PAGES 4-5:

P_4_5.jpg

PAGES 6-7:

P_6_7.jpg

PAGES 8-9:

P_8_9.jpg

PAGES 10-11:

P_10_11.jpg

PAGE 12: BACK COVER

P_12.jpg

Can't wait for Frank to chime in about this one... excellent pick-up! Mind sharing where you picked it up at? The previous owner had no info about it?

I'm thinking that is the kickstarter copy they gave to people who donated.

Can't wait for Frank to chime in about this one... excellent pick-up! Mind sharing where you picked it up at? The previous owner had no info about it?

I'm thinking that is the kickstarter copy they gave to people who donated.

You may be right...

We didn't give any copies to Kickstarter backers, actually. There were no physical rewards!

That would be the C2E2 copy--the page count of "16" includes the front cover, front inside cover, back inside cover, and back cover.

A great, rare find! It was the first time we ever printed a copy of Five Ghosts : ).