• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd thing happened to me tonight (long)

61 posts in this topic

If someone posts a limit, I can more than respect that (I don't tend to buy multiples anyway).

But changing your dynamic in the way he did was unprofessional. He could have at least said something when you came in or mentioned that he's changing his "policy" for future purchases.

I just went thru a crazy shady situation too. Guy had some books on the wall with the price. I looked at the books and agreed to buy them. Looked away for a minute and they were magically back on the wall. I repeated myself. The two shop guys were whispering to each other oddly. I went thru the store and bought a large batch of books. When I came back, the books had been switched (new books were in pretty bad shape). I mentioned that I'd prefer the books that I'd originally looked at. They reluctantly went to the back room to retrieve them. Thought everything was okay. When I left, I looked at the receipt to see that they charged me double for the books. Went back in and had to cancel the transactiona and re-run all over again. Makes me laugh when I think about it.

that really sucks man, at least you caught it before it was too late. it seems that some lcs's dont like to keep the customers that will spend lots of money. i found a shop that is run by a dealer that understands and goes to shows. i only deal with them from now on. we are both happy. i buy multiples and we both make money. win win.

I once went to a LCS looking for Batgirl 13 ( back when they had just come out) It was the second week after they had been released. The shop had 10 left. I went to get them all and walked up to pay for them.

The cashier looked at me funny and said, you're buying all these?

I responded: Yes I am, I'm buying them for my friends and myself.

Then his co-worker started whispering him something and then he responded saying I was only allowed to buy 1.

I responded saying, excuse me? Where does it state that I'm only allowed to buy one?

He said it was a new policy

Keep in mind I was getting fumed and people in the shop were taking noticed.

I went back saying that's bs and such thing should be visible for the consumer to see.

Both the workers were getting nervous and stuttering saying that rules are rules.

So what did I do?

I got the 10 comics, said eff this and threw them in the air as I walked away.

Havent been back to that LCS......don't plan to.

The main shop I visit doesn't care - I always confirm if its okay and they always state that they don't care. Usually I show up right at 11am and may take every copy shelved if available - still don't care :D

They will also preorder any amount requested

I once went to a LCS looking for Batgirl 13 ( back when they had just come out) It was the second week after they had been released. The shop had 10 left. I went to get them all and walked up to pay for them.

Then his co-worker started whispering him something and then he responded saying I was only allowed to buy 1.

I responded saying, excuse me? Where does it state that I'm only allowed to buy one?

I went back saying that's bs and such thing should be visible for the consumer to see.

Both the workers were getting nervous and stuttering saying that rules are rules.

So what did I do?

You should have walked back in and offered to "pay for the damage" by buying the ten books lol

There's a shop near me that has two signs posted one says card purchases must exceed $5 and the other says you must pay for damages. I couldn't figure out why he had the second one posted til he pulled some shady stuff on me. Once he changed prices on books at the register and once he took a book from my purchase stack to "keep in his backstock" (New Star Wars 1)

So what did I do?

You should have walked back in and offered to "pay for the damage" by buying the ten books lol

There's a shop near me that has two signs posted one says card purchases must exceed $5 and the other says you must pay for damages. I couldn't figure out why he had the second one posted til he pulled some shady stuff on me. Once he changed prices on books at the register and once he took a book from my purchase stack to "keep in his backstock" (New Star Wars 1)

guys like that dont deserve businesses. they suck at business. if that happened to me, and my wife allowed it, i would buy the building and raise his rent astronomically

I would have very politely told him to take those copies of blackacre and cram em up his cramhole......

I have ZERO tolerance for people like that and if a store owner/manager wants to get uppity with me when i am trying to give him money for something that he has for sale in his store......'EF HIM!

People like that deserve to go out of business if that is the way they want to treat customers, especially good ones

So what did I do?

I kind of side with the workers on this one. If there were 10 copies left, and you tried to purchase all 10, I could see if there was a problem. Maybe if you only wanted 3-5 copies of them. But then to throw all of the copies and damage them just because you couldn't buy them all is poor taste.

I tried to buy one copy of #13 for myself, but my shop was already sold out. I'm sure others caught on late and those 10 issues could have made several other people happy to have them if you hadn't damaged them. I know I would have been mad if I went to purchase a comic and all of the remaining ones were damaged because some person threw them and damaged them in a rage because he couldn't buy every last copy.

So what did I do?

I kind of side with the workers on this one. If there were 10 copies left, and you tried to purchase all 10, I could see if there was a problem. Maybe if you only wanted 3-5 copies of them. But then to throw all of the copies and damage them just because you couldn't buy them all is poor taste.

I tried to buy one copy of #13 for myself, but my shop was already sold out. I'm sure others caught on late and those 10 issues could have made several other people happy to have them if you hadn't damaged them. I know I would have been mad if I went to purchase a comic and all of the remaining ones were damaged because some person threw them and damaged them in a rage because he couldn't buy every last copy.

+1. Not saying the workers were right--I think if there is a limit it should be posted. But there's also no reason to use that language and damage their items by throwing comic books in the air. If I owned that comic book store and someone acted like that, I wouldn't care if they came back or not. Rude and abusive customers can go somewhere else.

The only really bad experience I've had at a store was when the death of Captain America issue came out. I had the series on my pull list so I knew that I wouldn't have to fight people for a copy. So I went there later in the day saw it in my box but it was bagged and boarded which was strange because he never did it. Then I saw a $25 price sticker on the bag.

I asked him what the deal was. He said that its what they're going for on eBay. I said, "So what? It just came out today. There's no reason to scalp them to regular customers especially those who have subscriptions". He said that If I didn't like it then I don't have to buy it. So I didn't and walked out. I never went back. I'm told that to this day, he still has that book on his wall for $25 like someone is going to actually buy it for that price.

Luckily I found a place that was a lot better. The owner did not care what new books were going for on eBay. He still sold them at cover price. Hell, I bought 3 copies of Batman #1 from him last year at cover price.

The only really bad experience I've had at a store was when the death of Captain America issue came out. I had the series on my pull list so I knew that I wouldn't have to fight people for a copy. So I went there later in the day saw it in my box but it was bagged and boarded which was strange because he never did it. Then I saw a $25 price sticker on the bag.

I asked him what the deal was. He said that its what they're going for on eBay. I said, "So what? It just came out today. There's no reason to scalp them to regular customers especially those who have subscriptions". He said that If I didn't like it then I don't have to buy it. So I didn't and walked out. I never went back. I'm told that to this day, he still has that book on his wall for $25 like someone is going to actually buy it for that price.

Luckily I found a place that was a lot better. The owner did not care what new books were going for on eBay. He still sold them at cover price. Hell, I bought 3 copies of Batman #1 from him last year at cover price.

That is ridiculous, especially on release day. I could see maybe a couple of days later (to non-subcribers) or maybe list extras online. But to mark up a price on someone that is on the pull-list is crazy.

That is ridiculous, especially on release day. I could see maybe a couple of days later (to non-subcribers) or maybe list extras online. But to mark up a price on someone that is on the pull-list is crazy.

I heard this happened to someone with the Death of Superman issues back int the 90s. The store forgot to set a side a subscribers issue and the last copy they had listed for $50.00 on the shelf and would only sell for the $50.00.Needless to say they lost that customer.

Let's see what else I can think of.

My LCS had a sale. 30% off wall (these are his older issues and rare variants) and 40% off backstock (boxes only). I found a title I want in the backstock that was $25. He only took 30% off and I didn't notice until I was in the parking lot. I went back in immediately asking for $2.50 credit (not a refund) and he said it was my fault I didn't notice when he was ringing me up and he would not do it because he doesn't remember what I bought (I bought two new issues from that Wednesday and one old issue that was in debate). I spend rought $400 a week in this store.

Same shop still had PP #1-8 last month, so when PP #9 came out I went to buy two. He said no. Even though he sees me in there with my girlfriend all the time and they still had this series for months. Every time I go in I buy one more issue. He didn't sell any except to me. There is one left that is destroyed with color breaks that no one will buy now because of the black cover and shelf wear.

I also bought The Sixth Gun full run from him and he made sure each title I was only buying one. When did The Sixth Gun #1 come out? Two years ago?? I'm the only one who bought it.

I heard this happened to someone with the Death of Superman issues back int the 90s. The store forgot to set a side a subscribers issue and the last copy they had listed for $50.00 on the shelf and would only sell for the $50.00.Needless to say they lost that customer.

This happens all the time. Call Brave New Worlds in Willow Grove or Philadelphia, PA and ask how much they charged for Nowhere Men #3 on release day. $10. Not even finished with the first arc.

This happens all the time. Call Brave New Worlds in Willow Grove or Philadelphia, PA and ask how much they charged for Nowhere Men #3 on release day. $10. Not even finished with the first arc.

There is no way that issues should be marked up on release day. I can see extra copies that haven't sold in maybe 5-7 days. But they should at least be cover for a certain amount of time.

So what did I do?

Cool story bro, you sound like a real tough guy. I bet you walked out of that place like John Wayne. Man you showed 'em. :eyeroll:

So what did I do?

Cool story bro, you sound like a real tough guy. I bet you walked out of that place like John Wayne. Man you showed 'em. :eyeroll:

How did you know?

Did you see the fireworks that ensued as I walked right out and the theme music that was playing during the firework show.

Man it was epic.

If you want an autograph, PM your address.

(thumbs u