• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Everyone seems to be heaping a lot of praise on this movie, but I have 2 complaints and I'd like to see if anyone agrees with me. First, the fight between Drax and Ronan was no contest. Ronan owned Drax, I mean, gee, Drax could have at least landed one meaningful punch. Then at the end when Ronan was about to Destroy Xandar, I found it a little bit of a stretch for Ronan to allow himself to be that distracted by Quill dancing around. Nice humorous touch, but just not consistent with how Ronan managed himself up to that point. Otherwise, the character development was great and they pulled off Groot and Rocket masterfully, making for a very entertaining movie and a home run all the way.

Good luck age of Ultron...

This movie is the flip side of the GOTG coin. Whereas GOTG was the most fun and lighthearted Marvel film to date, Ultron will be the most depressing and darkest movie Marvel has ever done.

I think Ultron will surpass the first one and do well over a billion worldwide.

Peace,

Chip

Everyone seems to be heaping a lot of praise on this movie, but I have 2 complaints and I'd like to see if anyone agrees with me. First, the fight between Drax and Ronan was no contest. Ronan owned Drax, I mean, gee, Drax could have at least landed one meaningful punch. Then at the end when Ronan was about to Destroy Xandar, I found it a little bit of a stretch for Ronan to allow himself to be that distracted by Quill dancing around. Nice humorous touch, but just not consistent with how Ronan managed himself up to that point. Otherwise, the character development was great and they pulled off Groot and Rocket masterfully, making for a very entertaining movie and a home run all the way.

I kinda saw that end dance scene with Ronan and Quill as a sneaky little call out to Gunns past Troma history. Its cheese worthy of Troma filmmaking and as such was a nod to Gunns filmmaking past to me. So it didnt bother me that he pulled that. hm

Good luck age of Ultron...

This movie is the flip side of the GOTG coin. Whereas GOTG was the most fun and lighthearted Marvel film to date, Ultron will be the most depressing and darkest movie Marvel has ever done.

I think Ultron will surpass the first one and do well over a billion worldwide.

Peace,

Chip

For sure... and I agree with your flip-side statement. They are different animals for sure.... GOTG made me feel like a kid again, Ultron will see my adult geek fantasies come to life. lol

I think the comic-based Drax was too strong for the story line. I expect his dunk in the Celestial cerebrospinal fluid will bring him to full power if needed in the next film.

I would have thought there would have been more interest in the comic relaunch of GotG. Seems to be a bit of a dud.

Yeah, it is - it's kind of a shame. They are all over the board with it - I think the only reason sales numbers are strong is because GotG fans are mimicing what X-Men fans were doing in the late 80s: subscribing because eventually the book will improve at a later date.

They are stuck trying to repackage events from the previous successful series, they have badly fumbled Angela to the point that she's only in the book for a splash page (no dialogue for 4-5 issues, I think) and it's a hot mess right now. I sincerely hope with the movie success they kick off the entire writing/art team on that book and start over.

Wait, a Bendis team book is overhyped and then turns out to be hot garbage that doesn't make any sense? hm

Tell me more.

saw this last night with some friends, we all liked it including my friend's wife. She loved Groot.

I give it a 7 out of 10, not the best Marvel movie to date for me but I enjoyed it and was entertained.

While it made me laugh I could have done without the Starlord dance distraction, would have preferred if Drax redeemed himself and physically grappled and held Ronan in place for the 10 seconds needed in that sequence.

I loved Gamora, she made me want to be Captain Kirk.

Saw it last night. I had very low expectations as I was very turned off by the trailers.

I was wrong. This is a fantastic movie. I might like it even more than the Avengers. I'll have to see it again soon.

I was really expecting to hate Rocket and Groot, but they stole the show. I loved the Raccoon! :applause:

The entire cast, beginning to end, was strong and well chosen.

Probably not for your young kids because of a little strong language and violence, but this was a great movie.

Good job, Marvel! :takeit:

I can understand all the Star Wars comparisons, but I walked away with a feeling this was more this generation's version of Firefly than ST. Unlike FF, this movie Is backed much better either the show or the Serenity movie.

Saw the movie last night. Liked it but didn't love it. Perhaps my expectations were too high thanks to all the trailers and this thread.

The Star Wars vibe was strong and thought it was also influenced by Firefly.

Drax didn't have much purpose in the show and was poorly cast - the actor's big enough but can't act - they should have cast Batista as Groot because he hardly said anything

Rooker was great as Yondu but I don't understand why Marvel always needs to insert so many villains in a movie. Did we really need to see the Ravagers on top of Ronan, The Collector, Thanos and Nebula?

Some of the funny bits felt forced. The Dance Off is the most obvious example. I get that it was funny but it was also stupid. Would have been much better for Drax to jump in and bravely delay Ronan through superhuman effort and perhaps sacrifice himself in the process - would have redeemed his character after doing almost nothing through the entire movie.

Groot and Rocket stole the show. Groot was just plain adorable. Rocket was tough as nails, but they did a great job developing his character in the second half of the movie. And both looked wonderful.

Chris Pratt did a great job portraying Starlord. A fun loving star lord who brought everyone together.

I can understand all the Star Wars comparisons, but I walked away with a feeling this was more this generation's version of Firefly than ST. Unlike FF, this movie Is backed much better either the show or the Serenity movie.

For me, the comparisons are more like what young kids take away from the film. Running around the neighborhood playing Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica was pretty much a daily event for my friends and I 30+ years ago. I like to think that this week, there's a whole new generation of kids letting their PS4 gather dust while they are outside playing Guardians of the Galaxy with their friends. :wishluck:

Firefly? Most people don't even know what Firefly is. I get your comparison in terms of the tone and feel of the movie and agree with you. But in terms of impact, there is no comparison to Firefly. Star Wars comparison is much more valid.

Firefly? Most people don't even know what Firefly is. I get your comparison in terms of the tone and feel of the movie and agree with you. But in terms of impact, there is no comparison to Firefly. Star Wars comparison is much more valid.

I have no idea what Firefly is....

Saw the movie last night. Liked it but didn't love it. Perhaps my expectations were too high thanks to all the trailers and this thread.

The Star Wars vibe was strong and thought it was also influenced by Firefly.

Drax didn't have much purpose in the show and was poorly cast - the actor's big enough but can't act - they should have cast Batista as Groot because he hardly said anything

Rooker was great as Yondu but I don't understand why Marvel always needs to insert so many villains in a movie. Did we really need to see the Ravagers on top of Ronan, The Collector, Thanos and Nebula?

Some of the funny bits felt forced. The Dance Off is the most obvious example. I get that it was funny but it was also stupid. Would have been much better for Drax to jump in and bravely delay Ronan through superhuman effort and perhaps sacrifice himself in the process - would have redeemed his character after doing almost nothing through the entire movie.

Groot and Rocket stole the show. Groot was just plain adorable. Rocket was tough as nails, but they did a great job developing his character in the second half of the movie. And both looked wonderful.

Chris Pratt did a great job portraying Starlord. A fun loving star lord who brought everyone together.

Yeah. The Dance Off was definitely cringe worthy.

I kinda saw that end dance scene with Ronan and Quill as a sneaky little call out to Gunns past Troma history. Its cheese worthy of Troma filmmaking and as such was a nod to Gunns filmmaking past to me. So it didnt bother me that he pulled that. hm

If it didn't bother anyone in Lethal Weapon 4, it shouldn't bother anyone now.

Oh and btw... the "leg" and "eye" joke are also loosely based on that scene...

Here it is in the trailer:

http://www.artistdirect.com/video/lethal-weapon-4/57886

I have no idea what Firefly is....

TV series that only lasted 1 season. They later made a movie called Serenity.

Definitely worth watching.

thanos-marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-laser-time.gif

I didn't like the way he looked to be honest. Graphically not up to the same standard as the rest of the film. He looked like an animated character from a video game, not someone that is actually in the movie. Additionally in the close ups I see the Hulk from the Avengers movie. Very obvious they used that model.