• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lazarus - New Image book by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark

696 posts in this topic

One of my favorites on my pull list right now.

+1 :banana:

Same.. I think this is the title I look forward to the most. I've SERIOUSLY cut my pull list and for no reason other than a quality drop across so many titles... But this has remained top notch.

any theories as to why this books value (across all variants and SS) continues to drop?

personally its my favorite new series, its up for an eisner award, and it continues to get better. i also see a lot of potential for TV/Movie optioning.

(shrug)

No idea whatsoever. Its a top notch writer/artist team putting out a book that will compare favorably to the best previous work. Sometimes, stuff just doesn't make sense. There are probably close to 6 or 7 other books I feel the same way about but buyers decide.

any theories as to why this books value (across all variants and SS) continues to drop?

personally its my favorite new series, its up for an eisner award, and it continues to get better. i also see a lot of potential for TV/Movie optioning.

Speculators drove the print run too high, which prevented anyone but first day sellers from seeing any real returns (story of many books in 2013). Despite what people believe, most of the upward pressure comes from speculators, even if collectors then buy in at the new prices.

When a print run cuts in half from issue 1-3, and you have 100s of speculators buying multiple copies, then having to unload, it creates a massive undercurrent of drag on a book. Since speculators dont care, and the print run is where it should be, and EXCELLENT I might add for an indy Image book not being held up by speculators, all the over printing has to work out of the system.

Lazarus 1 48,000

Lazarus 2 27,150

Comics are just like any commodity, when resources are mis-allocated, it skews the values first too high, then too low. Give it a couple years, it's an excellent book and no doubt will be a future classic.

But as for over-valuation, only media optioning is going to push it up to silly values.

Speculators drove the print run too high, which prevented anyone but first day sellers from seeing any real returns (story of many books in 2013). Despite what people believe, most of the upward pressure comes from speculators, even if collectors then buy in at the new prices.

When a print run cuts in half from issue 1-3, and you have 100s of speculators buying multiple copies, then having to unload, it creates a massive undercurrent of drag on a book. Since speculators dont care, and the print run is where it should be, and EXCELLENT I might add for an indy Image book not being held up by speculators, all the over printing has to work out of the system.

Lazarus 1 48,000

Lazarus 2 27,150

Comics are just like any commodity, when resources are mis-allocated, it skews the values first too high, then too low. Give it a couple years, it's an excellent book and no doubt will be a future classic.

But as for over-valuation, only media optioning is going to push it up to silly values.

Amazing, thanks for the break down and educational post CBT! :headbang:

Lazarus is one of my favorite books. Seems like it's been ALONG time since last issue though....anyone know when to expect next one?

July 2nd ?

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Lazarus+%2310_1346916

The reason for the ? Is that East of West was supposed to be out last week and was pushed back. Here is to hoping. (thumbs u

Edited by The Authority

Lazarus is one of my favorite books. Seems like it's been ALONG time since last issue though....anyone know when to expect next one?

If you noticed in the back of the letters page today in issue 9, they are moving to a 5 week schedule, which should be doable with the extra support the book is getting in various areas. The second trade is close to completion, and the combined arc hardcover will be amazing with lots of extras; can't wait!

I picked this up in the beginning, and tried it for a few issues. For whatever reason, I just couldn't really get into it. I thought the art was ok, but the story just didn't seem to be going anywhere.

I picked this up in the beginning, and tried it for a few issues. For whatever reason, I just couldn't really get into it. I thought the art was ok, but the story just didn't seem to be going anywhere.

The book is packed with stuff going on from action to back story to character development. Fantastic book and lots going on at once. However, the overall story is a very slow burn so would agree with the perception that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

The book is packed with stuff going on from action to back story to character development. Fantastic book and lots going on at once. However, the overall story is a very slow burn so would agree with the perception that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Agree with everything you said - it is one of my favorites at the moment, but I could definitely understand someone saying they may enjoy it more in trade form.

Personally, I like slower books. For me, it means more time is being spent on developing the world and characters, which pays off in the long run.

This book feels like a dystopian sci-fi tv show. It has the same pacing as a TV show, and I think it bodes well for a long-term run. With Fatale coming to an end, I might make this my new modern (non-Marvel) collecting focus.

Rucka is my second fav writer after Brubaker, and I'm noir'd out for the time being.

Edited by CBT

Haven't read the new issue yet,but this book fascinates me.

Plus, the extras in every issue. Check out the back covers, those aren't REAL ads but at a glance you'd think they were.

With the letters there's some kind of write up and data on the families

If it keeps going, this could be a sleeper that goes boom one day.

I think the boom potential is always there with modern images, for the time being at least. Personally, I would much rather collect something that isnt being driven up by speculative hype. That's another positive for Lazarus.

If it does go boom, I hope its years and years from now, like the DC vertigo stuff. Let it run its course speculator free, become a classic, and boom in the future ;)

Plus, the extras in every issue. Check out the back covers, those aren't REAL ads but at a glance you'd think they were.

***[POSSIBLE SPOILER]***

Fun fact about the back cover to issue 9: That was NOT done with Google Translate or any other software; Trautmann actually found someone that was fluent to make it 'real' (thumbs u

I agree. While the story clearly focuses on Forever, the size of the cast is astounding, so it's important that Rucka & Lark flesh them out. They've done a great job showing the lives of the Families & the Waste; I'd personally like to see more about the Serfs, and how precarious their own situation is within the world order.