• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon March 21-23, 2014

312 posts in this topic

Been going to the show for the last 6-7 years and this was possibly the worst organized show in that time span. Yeah, it was out of the organizers control that the Convention center was over booked, with a Mary Kay conference, a cheerleader competition and that the NCAA tourney was also in Orlando. We left Tampa at 9:30am and got into the show at 1:30.

But the amount of confusion and over crowdedness of the show killed my excitement for it. Still had fun meeting Stan Lee and getting a photo with my young son and Stan. But I'll pass on this show for a few years. Hope everyone else was able to enjoy the show

We only stayed through yesterday morning, largely because of the crowds. In fact, I ended up walking out of the convention center, then to Universal Blvd, just so my wife, who was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 1.5 hours just trying to get there, could pick me up. Insane amount of people, without doubt. I could see yesterday's numbers alone surpassing 40k+, it really felt like the size of crowd at a sold out NFL game or something.

As for the convention itself, probably my best for buying in the 13 MegaCons I have attended. Good supply of material, though I bought mainly for resale and not myself. Got some great deals from Jamie Graham and Chris Foss, both of who had lots of great stuff. I went box diving for bargains as opposed to wall shopping for keys (many of which were....umm...optimistically priced), and found quite a bit not only at the two dealers I mentioned above, but also Harley's, Dale's, Marc Nathanson's, and a few other booths. This was probably the first time I was buying well into Saturday at MegaCon, normally I'm done by 2pm on Friday, and I think there was more there to be found if I only had the time.

I agree. This year I had little to no expert ration of buying anything. But the books were there for the taking.

1) I noticed right off the bat on Friday that there was no map of the hall, at least not in the program. That seems like a must-have for every attendee. I wandered around for a whole day looking for specific people, booths, etc.

2) Beth has done a great job with this con so far, but they really need bring in some pros if they want to continue to expand and grow.

3) Megacon is already one of the biggest cons in the nation. Complaints about the crowds are, in my opinion, kinda unwarranted given what Megacon is and is becoming. Maybe there is some things that can be done by Beth and her crew (limiting ticket sales), but on the whole, navigating the sea of humanity is just part of being at a big con.

1) I noticed right off the bat on Friday that there was no map of the hall, at least not in the program. That seems like a must-have for every attendee. I wandered around for a whole day looking for specific people, booths, etc.

Its all good! You found my booth! :hi:

Its all good! You found my booth! :hi:

...and got myself a nice little book called Strange Tales #180 9.4. Boom. Thanks!