• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PRESSING IT OUT mean exactly?

383 posts in this topic

Their argument boils down to being upset that they no longer enjoy the same level of convenience they once did for buying what they want. Forgive me if I don't sympathize overmuch.

'The same level of convenience'?

Just what drugs are you on?

lol

Buying from auctions from behind a computer: convenient.

Finding and buying fresh collections from original owners: not convenient.

Put in work and you can find untouched books. Is this a foreign concept to you? Have you not done this multiple times? Weren't those books untouched? Instead of selling them, keep them for your collection. Difficult concept to grasp.

Serious question. How do you feel about the unmanipulated books you sell as a dealer to people you know to have books pressed?

Not exactly happy, but there's a difference between stopping collecting and having to find something else to fill in your spare time, or stopping selling to them and having no food on the table.

Their argument boils down to being upset that they no longer enjoy the same level of convenience they once did for buying what they want. Forgive me if I don't sympathize overmuch.

Convenience! Really? :facepalm:

This from a guy who is basically printing money through the practice of pressing.

Hard work is it? meh

Serious question. How do you feel about the unmanipulated books you sell as a dealer to people you know to have books pressed?

Not exactly happy, but there's a difference between stopping collecting and having to find something else to fill in your spare time, or stopping selling to them and having no food on the table.

Money.

lol

Put in work and you can find untouched books. Is this a foreign concept to you? Have you not done this multiple times? Weren't those books untouched?

How many high grade raw Marvel collections do you think are in the UK? Oh, and must be cents copies, too? And should really be pre-'66?

I'll wait.

So it's cool to profit off of guys who will press the books you sell them, but not cool for them to do the actual pressing. Got it. What if they need food on the table too? Destroying the hobby would get much harder if people would stop selling to known pressers, wouldn't it?

Money.

Wrong.

If it was about the money, I'd surely be pressing all of those raw books, yes?

But I've never had a book pressed...personally or for my business...in my life.

lol

Put in work and you can find untouched books. Is this a foreign concept to you? Have you not done this multiple times? Weren't those books untouched?

How many high grade raw Marvel collections do you think are in the UK? Oh, and must be cents copies, too? And should really be pre-'66?

I'll wait.

I have no idea. I do know that you brought a massive collection to market not long ago that was from the UK.

These posts aren't all directed at you anyway. Plenty of people who feel the same in the US and don't enjoy the same geographical difficulties as you.

So it's cool to profit off of guys who will press the books you sell them, but not cool for them to do the actual pressing. Got it. What if they need food on the table too? Destroying the hobby would get much harder if people would stop selling to known pressers, wouldn't it?

I sell under-graded, unmanipulated raw books to pressers, who turn my 8.5s into 9.6s...and I'm the profiteer? :screwy:

Money.

Wrong.

Fair enough and props for sticking to your guns.

Money.

Wrong.

You profit plenty through your reputation for tight grading and not pressing. As has been pointed out before, your books garner a premium as a result.

I sell under-graded, unmanipulated raw books to pressers, who turn my 8.5s into 9.6s...and I'm the profiteer? :screwy:

Deleted my post. Time to take a step back.

pressing threads a like quicksand.

OK. I guess I did read it correctly then. ???

One area where I think those that dislike pressing failed to act is when they decided that they wouldn't pay "next grade" prices for unpressed books. I've said it many times over the years but had never gotten a reply that I can remember. Had this happened, pressing wouldn't have been profitable, unpressed books would have been advertised as such and everyone would be happy.

There are at least two sides to the story.

hm

I'm not following.

Pay more for a book because it is nice than the grade/preservation says its worth to keep others from buying it and pressing it.

I dont think the argument is grounded in rationality.

'Course it isn't...

But hey, give some other well-known sellers the opportunity to make even more money, this time on 'what might bes'. meh

Why is it not rational? It's economics 101.

High grade collectors pay for quality and always have. The more quality you want the more it costs. There's nothing odd about that is there? Paying more for an unpressed book is simply paying a premium for a quality that you are looking for on a book that goes into your collection.

It might be unorthodox but then so was pressing at one time. Times change and so do approaches.

High grade used to be mint on a G-F-M scale.

Then it became G-VG-F-VF-NM, and so on.

Now it's looking for NM unpressed books.

I'm really not trying to be glib about it at all and I mean it with the utmost respect, but the reality is that if those that dislike pressing were willing to pay "next grade" prices for that quality early on, there would be no room for someone to press it and make that money themselves. Nips it right in the bud.

It's simple economics. It makes the books more expensive but then when didn't quality rise in value?

This seems disingenuous. Do you really think that most collectors of high grade unrestored books can build their collections by finding unblemished original owner high grade collections themselves? How many board members other than yourself who aren't full time dealers have built large collections with complete runs of multiple titles that way? I think the number is quite small, and not because of the inconvenience, but rather the difficulty of finding several of these collections before full time dealers have snapped them up.

My high grade Bronze collection was built by buying off the rack, but seeing as how I'm ancient in Board years, this doesn't seem like it was a viable option for most either.

This seems disingenuous. Do you really think that most collectors of high grade unrestored books can build their collections by finding unblemished original owner high grade collections themselves? How many board members other than yourself who aren't full time dealers have built large collections that way? I think the number is quite small, and not because of the inconvenience, but rather the difficulty of finding several of these collections before full time dealers have.

I think it would be tough. Very tough, but I do think it could be done, especially by building a network of dealers that can be trusted to disclose if asked.

People on here have collected every DC comic in existence, completed sets of Centaurs, and surmounted plenty of comic book challenges...I find it hard to believe that putting together a set of unmanipulated Silver Age Marvels would be harder.

This seems disingenuous. Do you really think that most collectors of high grade unrestored books can build their collections by finding unblemished original owner high grade collections themselves? How many board members other than yourself who aren't full time dealers have built large collections that way? I think the number is quite small, and not because of the inconvenience, but rather the difficulty of finding several of these collections before full time dealers have.

I think it would be tough. Very tough, but I do think it could be done, especially by building a network of dealers that can be trusted to disclose if asked.

I find it hard to believe that putting together a set of unmanipulated Silver Age Marvels would be harder.

So who here has done it? (shrug)

It's not just the "known" pressers. Many of them are quite honest about disclosure...that's usually, part of the reason they are "known".

I think it's the UNKNOWN pressers, the one who don't disclose who are the problem for people looking to buy or sell unpressed books.

I keep saying the same thing...over and over, if there is nothing to hide, why not disclose :shrug:

People on here have collected every DC comic in existence, completed sets of Centaurs, and surmounted plenty of comic book challenges...I find it hard to believe that putting together a set of unmanipulated Silver Age Marvels would be harder.

No one.

Who here have really tried putting together a set straight from the source? None that I am aware of. (shrug)

I can tell you that if I had started two years ago I would be at least 50% though the Marvels and (shockingly) much farther on DCs....at least post-61 DCs.