• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

Speaking of Harley... :ohnoez:

Is this price not crazy for a 2nd print raw? Any reason 2nd or 3rd prints would be desirable on this ish in particular?

I don't think I have ever seen a slab where it's noted on the label?

Jim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Harley-Quinn-CGC-9-8-Joker-Alex-Ross-Paul-Dini-Harley-1st-DC-continuity-/111194959296?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19e3bc6dc0 Edited by Junkdrawer

It was more than 90-100K for BA #12. The Costcos around here had that particular brick pack by the pallet due to the Superman issues. Those packs were responsible for a large number of the reprints for Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, and Knightfall. Every month they'd get 2 or 3 pallets of the newest DC packs because of the media attention those books had received.

Were they brand new releases or the copies of books returned by the stores/distributor and then dumped via Costco?

Returns have the covers ripped off before being sent back by the newsstands, dont they?

It was more than 90-100K for BA #12. The Costcos around here had that particular brick pack by the pallet due to the Superman issues. Those packs were responsible for a large number of the reprints for Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, and Knightfall. Every month they'd get 2 or 3 pallets of the newest DC packs because of the media attention those books had received.

Were they brand new releases or the copies of books returned by the stores/distributor and then dumped via Costco?

Returns have the covers ripped off before being sent back by the newsstands, dont they?

We're talking BA12 here, not Iron Man 12. The number of newsstand copies were considerably less. Tearing off 1/3 of the FC of remainders was a practice by some distributors prior to direct market sales. Some distributors would clip corners or mark them, others would do nothing and just trash them or box them up and leave them in the corner of some warehouse.

Of course, direct market sales leftovers just went to the 10 cent box, as the retailer owned them and needed to get anything they could for them. Only speculating, but I imagine the Costco bricks came straight from the distributor, not returns from the newsstand. They were probably part of the (over) print runs that were neither sold nor distributed.

Speaking of Harley... :ohnoez:

Is this price not crazy for a 2nd print raw? Any reason 2nd or 3rd prints would be desirable on this ish in particular?

I don't think I have ever seen a slab where it's noted on the label?

Jim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Harley-Quinn-CGC-9-8-Joker-Alex-Ross-Paul-Dini-Harley-1st-DC-continuity-/111194959296?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19e3bc6dc0

As usual, I stand corrected!!! :foryou:

Jim

We're talking BA12 here, not Iron Man 12. The number of newsstand copies were considerably less. Tearing off 1/3 of the FC of remainders was a practice by some distributors prior to direct market sales. Some distributors would clip corners or mark them, others would do nothing and just trash them or box them up and leave them in the corner of some warehouse.

Of course, direct market sales leftovers just went to the 10 cent box, as the retailer owned them and needed to get anything they could for them. Only speculating, but I imagine the Costco bricks came straight from the distributor, not returns from the newsstand. They were probably part of the (over) print runs that were neither sold nor distributed.

Yeah, the Costco bricks were from the distributor, none of the books in the bricks were "newsstand" copies. They were ordered direct from the distributor, so they were all brand new copies contained within the bricks, and had never been on any store shelves.

-------------------------

Well, of course, unless you are like the many stores who, if they could not sell the book for $1.25 on the rack after a month or two figure that they should bag and board it and make it $1.50 (or $2).

In 1993 I'm thinking that was a lot of stores.

Actually, kids comics tend to sit on the rack a lot longer as shops figure that kids and their parents are not really paying attention to issue #, but rather, buy based on titles/characters/covers.

-------------------------

Well, of course, unless you are like the many stores who, if they could not sell the book for $1.25 on the rack after a month or two figure that they should bag and board it and make it $1.50 (or $2).

In 1993 I'm thinking that was a lot of stores.

Actually, kids comics tend to sit on the rack a lot longer as shops figure that kids and their parents are not really paying attention to issue #, but rather, buy based on titles/characters/covers.

1990 - 91, yes. By 1993 stores were starting to fold and a lot of speculators were dropping out. I know a ton of baseball card collectors that bought heavy in 1990 - 1991 but were out by 1993 as they were losing their shirts in both cards and comics.

Did people see the BA12 CGC 9.8 (Blue) just go up for sale on eBay at $1000 OBO? Wonder how long it sits/lasts and what the final $ will be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Adventures-12-CGC-9-8-WHITE-Pages-1st-Harley-Quinn-1993-DC-/251363508753?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a866ec211

For a thousand bucks, he could at least offer free shipping! rantrant

:roflmao:

By 1993 stores were starting to fold and a lot of speculators were dropping out. I know a ton of baseball card collectors that bought heavy in 1990 - 1991 but were out by 1993 as they were losing their shirts in both cards and comics.

That was not the case here in the Midwest USA. 93 and part of 94 orders and sales were still riding high. It was 95-96 that was the great implosion when we lost so many specialty stores.

I agree... Batman Adventures 12 was released between Batman 497 and Batman 500 and only a couple of months after the return of Superman (#500, the die-cut covers, etc.).

The industry was still riding high.

By 1993 stores were starting to fold and a lot of speculators were dropping out. I know a ton of baseball card collectors that bought heavy in 1990 - 1991 but were out by 1993 as they were losing their shirts in both cards and comics.

That was not the case here in the Midwest USA. 93 and part of 94 orders and sales were still riding high. It was 95-96 that was the great implosion when we lost so many specialty stores.

I agree... Batman Adventures 12 was released between Batman 497 and Batman 500 and only a couple of months after the return of Superman (#500, the die-cut covers, etc.).

The industry was still riding high.

Stores were starting to go under up here by the end of 1993. I started university that fall and two of the stores I used to go to prior to that in the area closed down. Even with those highly speculative books, you could see the unwinding of the market beginning, especially the small card stores that went into to comics as well. They got wacked first due to the card market cratering before comics. However, there were a couple of comic stores here that went under early as well.

In the case of one of these stores, the owner had a lot of good early SA Marvels, but he did amateur resto on them. In 1999 or 2000 I had a chance to look at the stock he sold off when he closed up - the person he sold them to paid top dollar and was screwed royally due to the resto.

With the other one, it worked out well for me over a multi-year span as the owners had a chain of used book stores in addition to a larger comic store. When closed, they moved the leftover comics to the basement of one of the used book stores. I cleaned up as the pulled out back stock over the years, especially with OA. (thumbs u

Edited by kimik

Did people see the BA12 CGC 9.8 (Blue) just go up for sale on eBay at $1000 OBO? Wonder how long it sits/lasts and what the final $ will be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Adventures-12-CGC-9-8-WHITE-Pages-1st-Harley-Quinn-1993-DC-/251363508753?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a866ec211

check out this NR MT (not a typo)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-ADVENTURES-12-1ST-HARLEY-QUINN-COMIC-BOOK-NR-MT-1993-RARE-BATGIRL-MOVIE-/251364117564?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a86780c3c

check out this NR MT (not a typo)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-ADVENTURES-12-1ST-HARLEY-QUINN-COMIC-BOOK-NR-MT-1993-RARE-BATGIRL-MOVIE-/251364117564?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a86780c3c

Move along nothing to see here... I feel bad for pooping on someone's comic.

Needless to say, this is clearly not a NM.

Edited by Pete Marino