• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

It is more due to an increased number of people chasing keys now due to the movie/TV effect. Over the past two years I have noticed an influx of new buyers ranging from 1) young collectors in their teens buying back issues, 2) a ton of new female readers/collectors, and 3) a large cohort of people that are in their 30s that stopped collecting in the 90s and have more disposable income to collect again (school done, good job now, etc.).

One trend that has been accelerating in the hobby for a while now is the focus on keys rather than completing runs. The shift will only accelerate over time similar to what we have seen in other hobbies.

That being said, Harley has been the top selling back issue character for me for the past couple of years. Deadpool is a distant second.

+1. I know a LOT of women that own this book and swear they'll "never sell" it. Granted they are not buying "9.8" copies, or even know cgc/slabbed books exist.

Jay, what do you feel are fair prices then of 8.5/9.0 copies? Obviously you feel the book is overpriced.

It is more due to an increased number of people chasing keys now due to the movie/TV effect. Over the past two years I have noticed an influx of new buyers ranging from 1) young collectors in their teens buying back issues, 2) a ton of new female readers/collectors, and 3) a large cohort of people that are in their 30s that stopped collecting in the 90s and have more disposable income to collect again (school done, good job now, etc.).

One trend that has been accelerating in the hobby for a while now is the focus on keys rather than completing runs. The shift will only accelerate over time similar to what we have seen in other hobbies.

That being said, Harley has been the top selling back issue character for me for the past couple of years. Deadpool is a distant second.

+1. I know a LOT of women that own this book and swear they'll "never sell" it. Granted they are not buying "9.8" copies, or even know cgc/slabbed books exist.

Jay, what do you feel are fair prices then of 8.5/9.0 copies? Obviously you feel the book is overpriced.

Factoring in the "movie hype effect" with a 10% post-announcement price bump, I'm a buyer at $250/$300. As with NM 98 and ASM 300 there is some serious price compression in those grade ranges.

-J.

Yep she's huge here also, and its not just movie related. Harley is a Phenomena. She's by far the most popular modern age superhero, aside from TWD. Deadpool doesn't come close.

It was the announcement of the movie appearance, however, that triggered the "price spike".

-J.

Prior to any knowing of a movie, it was almost obvious that DC would use the character in some way shape or form. Inevitable I tell ya. We were gonna get there one way or another. They can scrap the Suicide Squad movie and I doubt it will change a damn thing. Expect more though. Expect DC to use Harley smart and with patient strategy. My suggestion is MADLOVE CGC 9.8, there are under 100 copies in 9.8 on the census, a black cover and prettyy much the best ever Harley story. I can see this book has the most potential. Dont be caught without one when DC anounces the Madlove movie :makepoint:

+1

I've always found Mad Love to be the more relevant and substantively superior book in pretty much every way, shape and form. "First cartoon character appearance in a comic book outside of continuity" has just never done anything for me. :shy:

-J.

Batman Adventures 12 is the book to own. Yeah, the movie got things rolling, but she was going up regardless. Sorry, but movie or not, things will not change. She's one hot nasty Chick, and people dig that.

By the way, have a CGC SS 9.4 and a CGC 9.6, looking to trade for a CGC 9.8 lol

Edited by Hulk44

I agree, Mad Love is the best Harley story. Great story, a lot of growth potential, one of the must have 3 Harley books. I would think it would go for more than $400 by now.

Edited by Rip

Yep she's huge here also, and its not just movie related. Harley is a Phenomena. She's by far the most popular modern age superhero, aside from TWD. Deadpool doesn't come close.

It was the announcement of the movie appearance, however, that triggered the "price spike".

-J.

BA #12 has been a hot book here for a while. It was an easy $250+ sale for 9.0/9.2 copies when slabbed 9.4s were going for that price online. The movie announcment helped the 9.8s spike, but raw 9.0s to 9.4s were rising before then for one reason - Harley is so popular. It is a better title than TWD now at cons - all you have to do is load up at the LCSs the week of the show, sticker the issues at $6 - $10 apiece, and let them go. lol

Batman Adventures 12 is the book to own. Yeah, the movie got things rolling, but she was going up regardless. Sorry, but movie or not, things will not change. She's one hit nasty a Chick, and people dig that.

"This time will be different." :devil:

-J.

Batman Adventures 12 is the book to own. Yeah, the movie got things rolling, but she was going up regardless. Sorry, but movie or not, things will not change. She's one hit nasty a Chick, and people dig that.

a 2 for 1?

F

Margot Robbie signed for a 10 year multi-picture deal. So it might be a while before prices cool back down.

Harley Quinn has been featured in alternative media before. And multiple Guardians movies on the docket didn't stop those books from tanking. Nor did it stop TMNT #1 from correcting significantly. There's no reason to expect anything different here even if the movie is successful and/or isn't an overly bloated mess.

This time won't be different.

-J.

Not every book tanks after the (first) movie. Harley doesn't equal Groot, or Turtles.

Since shillers and speculators are what are largely driving the price of this book as they did the Guardians books (ie, market manipulation), history is not on her side. And yes, even TTA 13 is off from prior movie hype highs .

-J.

Where do you extrapolate these statements and numbers from??? It boggles my mind, every post is shilling this and sky is falling that. I just did a simple bit of research and what you have said here is just simply not true!!!

The three highest grades of CGC books of TTA #13 sold in the last 90 days have been a 6.0, a 5.5 and and 5.0. Guardians came out on August 1st.

In 6.0 in August there were two sales at the absolute peak of "Guardians mania" and they were

$2500 and $2720 respectively. The January 2015 sale was $2800

In 5.5 there were only two sales in all of 2014, one in February for $1800 and one in June for $1950. The last sale which was just a few days ago was $2232.

In 5.0 there were two sales as Guardians mania was about to explode one on July 30 for $2025 and then another a couple of days later for $1884. The last sale which was in March was $1926.

Please explain to me how these books are falling back to Earth? In each on my examples, the book is selling for MORE than it was last August when Guardians hit the theatre and caught everybody by surprise. Are people still "market manipulating" a book eight months after the movie came out???

Jim

F
Margot Robbie signed for a 10 year multi-picture deal. So it might be a while before prices cool back down.

Harley Quinn has been featured in alternative media before. And multiple Guardians movies on the docket didn't stop those books from tanking. Nor did it stop TMNT #1 from correcting significantly. There's no reason to expect anything different here even if the movie is successful and/or isn't an overly bloated mess.

This time won't be different.

-J.

Not every book tanks after the (first) movie. Harley doesn't equal Groot, or Turtles.

Since shillers and speculators are what are largely driving the price of this book as they did the Guardians books (ie, market manipulation), history is not on her side. And yes, even TTA 13 is off from prior movie hype highs .

-J.

Where do you extrapolate these statements and numbers from??? It boggles my mind, every post is shilling this and sky is falling that. I just did a simple bit of research and what you have said here is just simply not true!!!

The three highest grades of CGC books of TTA #13 sold in the last 90 days have been a 6.0, a 5.5 and and 5.0. Guardians came out on August 1st.

In 6.0 in August there were two sales at the absolute peak of "Guardians mania" and they were

$2500 and $2720 respectively. The January 2015 sale was $2800

In 5.5 there were only two sales in all of 2014, one in February for $1800 and one in June for $1950. The last sale which was just a few days ago was $2232.

In 5.0 there were two sales as Guardians mania was about to explode one on July 30 for $2025 and then another a couple of days later for $1884. The last sale which was in March was $1926.

Please explain to me how these books are falling back to Earth? In each on my examples, the book is selling for MORE than it was last August when Guardians hit the theatre and caught everybody by surprise. Are people still "market manipulating" a book eight months after the movie came out???

Jim

You have cherry picked data. I didn't say that TTA 13 was down in all grades across the board. The book does not trade often enough to make such a sweeping statement. I said that it is off from pre movie hype highs, which it is, in three of the five grades that have traded since the movie hype ebbed. And keep in mind that GPA does not pick up "all" results of all auction houses, and notice how many copies of it are sitting un-sold on the open market. The book just ain't what it used to be (going waaaaaay back to the summer of 2014 lol ).

You have also conveniently chosen to only discuss TTA 13, which I had already conceded has held up better than the other Guardians books, which have, in fact, experienced a well documented and epic collapse in value since the movie. You may want to make sure you have your facts and figures straight next time before you go running around summarily (and incorrectly) calling someone "wrong". (thumbs u

The fact of the matter is that it is common knowledge that all bets are off when it comes to shillers and speculators once even the rumour of movie hype begins to percolate. I have already documented in this thread multiple of examples of BA 12 being shilled/price manipulated. Just as I did with MP 4/7, AF 15, NM 98, Star Wars 1, etc.

It is no secret that it happens, and is happening. TTA 13 is less vulnerable because it is a relatively scarce early pre-hero Marvel, and AF 15 doesn't need movies to make people care about Spider-Man. But when it comes to common, everyday BA and CA stuff..... all bets are off, and look out below once the movie comes out and everyone starts trying to cash out at once. :tonofbricks:

-J.

2 for one , YES

Dang! Thats a nice trade, someone needs to step up and give this guy his 9.8.

BTW, that previous 9.8 sale was legit.

hm Sure. Why pay $1,400 or less somewhere else when you can pay $2,000 on ebay?

-J.

Ebay is the place most people look at for comics online.

If you got a lead for one at 1400 sens it my way...i may pull the trigger on it.

2 for one , YES

Was that your book? If yes, congrats!

And, as a 9.8 owner, thanks! lol

2 for one , YES

hm Sure. Why pay $1,400 or less somewhere else when you can pay $2,000 on ebay?

-J.

Ebay is the place most people look at for comics online.

If you got a lead for one at 1400 sens it my way...i may pull the trigger on it.

So someone thought it better to pay $2k for one with another copy for $1800 right below it ? Which is still unsold by the way. As is the one for $1650 on comiclink.

This is not a $2k book. There is market resistance even at $1400. Shills notwithstanding.

-J.

The book is crazy hot right now. It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened.

If you have one for $1400, I would bet that wouldn't last 5 min on E-bay right now.

30 days ago, sure, but not now.

Edited by Rip

The $1999.99 book was mine, 100% legit... Mailed it out today, I have 5000 more feedback than the guy selling the $1800 9.8, Maybe that's what did it? I know if I were spending that kind of money it might make a difference.

So if people really believe this is a $2k book now the ones sitting for weeks on the market for hundreds of dollars less should look like a raging deal and be snapped overnight then, right ? And the other copies that have now appeared on ebay for $2k should all be getting scores of watchers and offers, if not full BIN pops also, right? (shrug)

-J.

The $1999.99 book was mine, 100% legit... Mailed it out today, I have 5000 more feedback than the guy selling the $1800 9.8, Maybe that's what did it? I know if I were spending that kind of money it might make a difference.

Well a big congratulations goes out to you for setting the new benchmark. Hooray for this guy. As a 2x 9.8 owner I thank you. Haha