• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first key GA book.

49 posts in this topic

This is somewhat inspired by the under 40 thread: what was the first Key GA comic book you owned? I'm not necessarily talking a major key; just whatever the book was where you suddenly realized you COULD actually get some of those important books instead of just the lesser (but still fun) parts of the run.

For me, it was a copy of Mad #1, over 20 years ago. Very beat up, and I know now it's not particularly rare as pre-code books go. But it remains a book I can mention to even non-comic fans and they know instantly what I'm talking about and know why the book matters. And that was when I knew I could eventually get almost any comic book I might ever want, if I kept working at it. (And the 10 or so books I can never afford have all been reprinted repeatedly.)

Horrible shape, I could upgrade easily if I wanted to. But I treasure it because it's the book where I went from "I'll get what I can" to "I can get anything I want". My first Key GA book:

Mad_001_zpsea115588.jpg

What's yours?

(Although if I was serious about Mad as a title I collect these days I would sure as heck upgrade!)

Nice BB that you have it 50 years later that's a keeper with some history behind it .For me would be Amazing Man 11 not a key but started the hunt which is still going on today and it has been a long hunt at that.!

Don't have them anymore but it was 3 at once out of my Aunt's old camp trunk in the attic ... Honeymooner's #1, I Love Lucy #1 and Adventure #247. Sold all of them in my teens to support my current collection so in some ways they are still here in spirit.

I was very late to the GA party. Though I've been buying books for 30 years, I only bought my first GA in the last 10 years. My first book of note was prolly this one that I still have.

P1190697.jpg

Very nice, I came close to pulling the trigger on that 3.0 signed by Simon and Kirby on clink a while back, but I spent all I had at the time on my TEC #29.

[font:Times New Roman]Back in the late 70's I bought the Church copy of Silver Streak #7 from Chuck Rozanski (Mile High).

It was my absolute favorite key of this Lev Gleason title.

Alas, in the early 1990's I made the regrettable decision to sell my collection. :cry: (don't ask, ...insert butthurt here)

In the interim I managed to pick-up a nice 9.0 Apparent (SP) from Metro...

153a0f93-ea62-4242-ae2b-a8b17a38d557_zps9d3b70ab.jpg

...but STILL dream of one day being reunited with my long missed Mile High copy. [/font] :wishluck: