• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC booth at Wizard World St. Louis bad customer service

232 posts in this topic

The whole 'they have to witness the signature' thing is kind of ridiculous.

How can PSA determine signature authenticity and CGC can't? Give me a break. Hire an autograph expert.

This also hurts the legitimacy of vintage signatures.

Are "autograph experts" ever wrong?

I'm sure they are. But having a random CGC person as a 'witness' isn't 100% foolproof either. Doesn't CGC even allow 3rd party facilitators to be their own witnesses?

Oh and so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle..the answer to this question is NO.

How can PSA determine signature authenticity and CGC can't? Give me a break. Hire an autograph expert.

I'm sure they are. But having a random CGC person as a 'witness' isn't 100% foolproof either. Doesn't CGC even give allow 3rd party facilitators to be their own witnesses?

:facepalm:

lol

You don't have to worry. I don't collect autographs and never will. But the idea that every signature that isn't CGC witnessed is 'writing' and downgrades a book is self serving and - in my opinion - silly.

agreed

I do think it is unfortunate for all the books signed before the creation of CGC.

At the same time, it really brings an authenticity to the industry.

it's a cash grab. If its for your collection and not resale, and you witness the signature what does it add?

I'm sure they are. But having a random CGC person as a 'witness' isn't 100% foolproof either. Doesn't CGC even give allow 3rd party facilitators to be their own witnesses?

lol

You don't have to worry. I don't collect autographs and never will. But the idea that every signature that isn't CGC witnessed is 'writing' and downgrades a book is self serving and - in my opinion - silly.

agreed

I do think it is unfortunate for all the books signed before the creation of CGC.

it's a cash grab. If its for your collection and not resale, and you witness the signature what does it add?

Eventually everything is for resale, unless you are a proponent of Viking funerals with all your books used as kindling.

lol

agreed

If you see no value in using the Sig Series to begin with, how can you call it a cash grab?

They have rules in place for their service. These rules actually are pretty solid and take away any guesswork on sigs.

I'm sure they are. But having a random CGC person as a 'witness' isn't 100% foolproof either. Doesn't CGC even allow 3rd party facilitators to be their own witnesses?

Oh and so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle..the answer to this question is NO.

I was of the impression that a third party person could get their own stuff graded if they were once a witness?

How is it a cash grab? I get a book signed and graded but keep it out of a green label. It also looks great in my collection and on display.

I've gotten a few things signed that I could one day see myself selling, but a majority of it isn't going anywhere. The only stuff is the more modern things that might supplement purchases of silver age stuff.

" A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. .....He is not an interruption of our work. He is the purpose of it.....We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by allowing us the chance to serve him."'

Mahatma Ghandi, 1890

What was he selling?

clapper.jpg

eb6.jpg

-slym

I was of the impression that a third party person could get their own stuff graded if they were once a witness?

How is it a cash grab? I get a book signed and graded but keep it out of a green label. It also looks great in my collection and on display.

I've gotten a few things signed that I could one day see myself selling, but a majority of it isn't going anywhere. The only stuff is the more modern things that might supplement purchases of silver age stuff.

No, a facilitator can have books witnessed and slabbed in the SS program, but the witness who actually does the "witnessing" is an employee of CGC, either permanent employee or by contract. Those witnesses cannot witness books for themselves.

I was once a witness and I cannot get anything done without a CGC contract or permanent employee standing right there.

I have also worked as a witness, I could not submit any books for myself when I was operating in that capacity.

No, a facilitator can have books witnessed and slabbed in the SS program, but the witness who actually does the "witnessing" is an employee of CGC, either permanent employee or by contract. Those witnesses cannot witness books for themselves.

I was once a witness and I cannot get anything done without a CGC contract or permanent employee standing right there.

I have also worked as a witness, I could not submit any books for myself when I was operating in that capacity.

I have got SS books done at shows where I was a witness, but I had to have another witness there to witness my books (just like anyone else). The big takeaway: you cannot witness your own books.

I have got SS books done at shows where I was a witness, but I had to have another witness there to witness my books (just like anyone else). The big takeaway: you cannot witness your own books.

Exactly, no self-witnessing. You'll go blind. :blush:

Eventually everything is for resale, unless you are a proponent of Viking funerals with all your books used as kindling.
hm

Now that my thread has memes, I'll consider it a success.

The destiny of your thread was bound for success when this happened:

Dropped a book off to be graded.

Pat is just rocking some manopause.
i sub books every year for ss, to sell. But i personally see no value in it for my collection. But aside from my opinion, many other hobbies have autographs and do not need a 3rd party witness.

Many other hobbies are wracked with rampant fraud and scandals. Yellow label perfect? No, but it is light years above forgeries and fakes.