• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joey post

254 posts in this topic

So Joey....

There's been alot of discussion lately regarding cover shrinkage from improper pressing. It seems like some of the older Marvel books are more susceptible, but I'm curious what your take is on other books from possibly the copper, bronze and modern eras.

Additionally, it has been stated that shrinkage maybe just related to normal changes in the paper over time.

I trust your expertise. What is it that you can do to ensure that shrinkage doesn't occur or is minimized?

I trust your expertise. What is it that you can do to ensure that shrinkage doesn't occur or is minimized?

...Stay out of cold water.

shrinkageseinfeld_300.jpg

So Joey....

There's been alot of discussion lately regarding cover shrinkage from improper pressing. It seems like some of the older Marvel books are more susceptible, but I'm curious what your take is on other books from possibly the copper, bronze and modern eras.

Additionally, it has been stated that shrinkage maybe just related to normal changes in the paper over time.

In the case of books from a certain time period less is more. For example, certain silver age and modern books need multiple light pressings at lower temperatures instead of one pressing at what would be considered a normal pressing temperature.

To be honest I get in a lot of books from the early 1960's that exhibit the same shrinkage that the cole shave books do. I am fairly certain those books have never been pressed based on their condition and the type of defects they have on them. It's 50 year old paper and things will happen based on a multitude of factors: manufacturing, storage, environment, how much OCD the original owner possessed, type of paper, where they were in the manufacturing process, etc.

The cole shave books are different because there were before and after scans. Definitive proof exists that the books shrank due to the pressing process or due to the way they were prepped before being placed in the press.

So Joey....

In the case of books from a certain time period less is more. For example, certain silver age and modern books need multiple light pressings at lower temperatures instead of one pressing at what would be considered a normal pressing temperature.

To be honest I get in a lot of books from the early 1960's that exhibit the same shrinkage that the cole shave books do. I am fairly certain those books have never been pressed based on their condition and the type of defects they have on them. It's 50 year old paper and things will happen based on a multitude of factors: manufacturing, storage, environment, how much OCD the original owner possessed, type of paper, where they were in the manufacturing process, etc.

The cole shave books are different because there were before and after scans. Definitive proof exists that the books shrank due to the pressing process or due to the way they were prepped before being placed in the press.

Did you ever replicate the effect in your experimental books? I know you posted some results before that thread got off the rails 100 pages ago, but I hadn't seen any updates since then.

So Joey....

Did you ever replicate the effect in your experimental books? I know you posted some results before that thread got off the rails 100 pages ago, but I hadn't seen any updates since then.

I pressed both books 4 times and neither showed any shrinkage. I really need books from the early 1960's. Right now I don't have any. Personally I think the books have to be high grade to begin with. Books stored in less than favorable conditions are less likely to shrink when being pressed IMO.

So Joey....

I pressed both books 4 times and neither showed any shrinkage. I really need books from the early 1960's. Right now I don't have any. Personally I think the books have to be high grade to begin with. Books stored in less than favorable conditions are less likely to shrink when being pressed IMO.

I've got a bunch of Hawkman #4s from 1964 to send in, if that helps.

So Joey....

Thanks for the offer, but a few books from 1960-1962 might work best.

So Joey....

Send some Zatana this way!

To be honest I get in a lot of books from the early 1960's that exhibit the same shrinkage that the cole shave books do. I am fairly certain those books have never been pressed based on their condition and the type of defects they have on them.

For what it's worth, I've seen that peek through effect on early Silver Age DC books as well (late 1950's / early 1960's)

To be honest I get in a lot of books from the early 1960's that exhibit the same shrinkage that the cole shave books do. I am fairly certain those books have never been pressed based on their condition and the type of defects they have on them.

For what it's worth, I've seen that peek through effect on early Silver Age DC books as well (late 1950's / early 1960's)

Just not to the same degree as the Constanza'd comics.

Just not to the same degree as the Constanza'd comics.

I've seen 'costanza'd' comics that were graded years before comics were costanza'd, so I'm not so sure.

Can't keep it in the Cole Schave thread, huh?

Keep what?

It's a discussion and I added something relevant to it.

It's Bob that can't keep it in his pants.

:devil: