• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

Read on another site that the Image What's Next preview book actually had a stand alone story of Rat Queens; a story that is not in the comics versus a preview of issue #1. Can anyone with a copy confirm?

I don't have one, but I would think it would probably just be the 5-page story at the end of issue 1...? This was originally planned to be the first five pages of issue 1, but Kurtis rewrote the beginning, and this was then added as a supplemental short story at the end of issue 1.

I have never heard anything about exclusive material in the What's Next.

But then, hopefully someone with a copy can chime in and give a definitive answer on this.

It stated on that blog that Rat Queens and Deadly Class both had original stories not found in the monthly comic book (it stated they weren't your "average" preview stories).

If this could be confirmed, this "preview" book would be the actual first appearance, no???

It stated on that blog that Rat Queens and Deadly Class both had original stories not found in the monthly comic book (it stated they weren't your "average" preview stories).

If this could be confirmed, this "preview" book would be the actual first appearance, no???

if you want to split hairs I suppose so but I sense there will not be a huge market for What's Next cgc 9.8's nor would it ever get the label notation of a "1st appearance"

if you want to split hairs I suppose so but I sense there will not be a huge market for What's Next cgc 9.8's nor would it ever get the label notation of a "1st appearance"

Ya its the market that will dictate it........#1 will be labeled as 1st apperence, you can almost guarentee that one. Just as in the past with other books.....

Again, would have to confirm if the blog statement is even true before debating 1st appearance.

1. If repriinted in Issue #1; no issues...just another preview book.

2. If it's an original story, regardless if it's in a preview book, it would be hard to make a case that it isn't the 1st appearance.

Of course, agree that CGC would probably never place a 1st appearance label on a preview book and that is what speculators/collectors mainly go by...so the 1st appearance point is moot.

It would also make 1st appearance copy for RQ more expensive; there are30K (I think) copies of RQ1 out there; how many What Next are out there? 3K?

It will still be interesting to see; I'll stop by LCS to see if they have a copy of WN and compare to my RQ1.

Again, would have to confirm if the blog statement is even true before debating 1st appearance.

1. If repriinted in Issue #1; no issues...just another preview book.

2. If it's an original story, regardless if it's in a preview book, it would be hard to make a case that it isn't the 1st appearance.

Of course, agree that CGC would probably never place a 1st appearance label on a preview book and that is what speculators/collectors mainly go by...so the 1st appearance point is moot.

It would also make 1st appearance copy for RQ more expensive; there are30K (I think) copies of RQ1 out there; how many What Next are out there? 3K?

It will still be interesting to see; I'll stop by LCS to see if they have a copy of WN and compare to my RQ1.

Diamond sales for #1 are just under 22k. So around 20k normal copies and 2k Staples variants?

I haven't seen the interior of the What's Next issue, but I know Rat Queens put out a few one page teaser stories online before the first issue to build up hype. There was also a short story online before #1 featuring Hannah. If there is a story in What's Next that is not in #1, my guess would be it's the Hannah short.

not sure if this link will work, but the Hannah short was posted on the Rat Queens Facebook page several months before #1 came out:

Edited by Crimebuster

Read on another site that the Image What's Next preview book actually had a stand alone story of Rat Queens; a story that is not in the comics versus a preview of issue #1. Can anyone with a copy confirm?

I don't have one, but I would think it would probably just be the 5-page story at the end of issue 1...? This was originally planned to be the first five pages of issue 1, but Kurtis rewrote the beginning, and this was then added as a supplemental short story at the end of issue 1.

I have never heard anything about exclusive material in the What's Next.

But then, hopefully someone with a copy can chime in and give a definitive answer on this.

I have one, but it is in a Yellow slab...

what's the deal with Rat Queens #4, not seeing many/any for sale.

When I was trying to put my run together last month, there were a total of 0 copies of #4 available on ebay. Could not find one online anywhere. I ended up driving around to all the LCS's in my area and finally found one copy.

Based on sales figures, the print run for #4 should be essentially the same as #3 and #5. So I have no idea why #4 seems to be harder to find. But that was my experience as well.

Maybe there are a lot of Dee fans out there or something hording the Dee cover?

I don't see this 5 page story you're talking about in my copies of #1. My copies of #1 have a five page preview for Drumhellar at the end.

I assume the 5 page story you're referring to that was originally supposed to be the opening of the comic is the 5-page Hannah story posted online as a preview, which I linked to earlier. But this story is not printed in the copies of #1 I have.

I don't see this 5 page story you're talking about in my copies of #1. My copies of #1 have a five page preview for Drumhellar at the end.

I assume the 5 page story you're referring to that was originally supposed to be the opening of the comic is the 5-page Hannah story posted online as a preview, which I linked to earlier. But this story is not printed in the copies of #1 I have.

The WN story is the Hannah/RQ story but the final panel does have all the Rat Queens. So does that make it a 1st appearance if it's not printed anywhere else??? (shrug)