• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

Read on another site that the Image What's Next preview book actually had a stand alone story of Rat Queens; a story that is not in the comics versus a preview of issue #1. Can anyone with a copy confirm?

I don't have one, but I would think it would probably just be the 5-page story at the end of issue 1...? This was originally planned to be the first five pages of issue 1, but Kurtis rewrote the beginning, and this was then added as a supplemental short story at the end of issue 1.

I don't see this 5 page story you're talking about in my copies of #1. My copies of #1 have a five page preview for Drumhellar at the end.

I assume the 5 page story you're referring to that was originally supposed to be the opening of the comic is the 5-page Hannah story posted online as a preview, which I linked to earlier. But this story is not printed in the copies of #1 I have.

The WN story is the Hannah/RQ story but the final panel does have all the Rat Queens. So does that make it a 1st appearance if it's not printed anywhere else??? (shrug)

I say YES (thumbs u

Read on another site that the Image What's Next preview book actually had a stand alone story of Rat Queens; a story that is not in the comics versus a preview of issue #1. Can anyone with a copy confirm?

I don't have one, but I would think it would probably just be the 5-page story at the end of issue 1...? This was originally planned to be the first five pages of issue 1, but Kurtis rewrote the beginning, and this was then added as a supplemental short story at the end of issue 1.

I don't see this 5 page story you're talking about in my copies of #1. My copies of #1 have a five page preview for Drumhellar at the end.

I assume the 5 page story you're referring to that was originally supposed to be the opening of the comic is the 5-page Hannah story posted online as a preview, which I linked to earlier. But this story is not printed in the copies of #1 I have.

The WN story is the Hannah/RQ story but the final panel does have all the Rat Queens. So does that make it a 1st appearance if it's not printed anywhere else??? (shrug)

I don't know how it is not.

Well, before we go crazy, I'm still puzzling over jjeanius mentioning this story being put in #1 as a bonus story. I just checked the Grand Comics Database and it also lists a 5 page backup story included in issue #1. I have a number of copies of the normal edition of #1 and am just not seeing this story. Nor is it in the Image First reprint.

Is this five page story included in the Staples Variant maybe? Or in the second print?

The What's next book would still pre-date the #1, correct?

Why would it matter if the story is also in #1?

I have no horse in this race, but it seems logical it would be the first appearance of Hannah, and the first appearance of the others in a cameo.

Whats a fair price for a boardie for the Staples variant?

I sold two to the US for $65 shipped each for NM raws and you can see my sales thread for 9.8s.

Ty (thumbs u buy much at NFCC?

Found four Strain #1s and two Booster Gold #1s for a buck each.

BTW its rude not coming up to me at shows that you know I'm at lol

The What's next book would still pre-date the #1, correct?

Why would it matter if the story is also in #1?

Well, most preview issues like What's Next simply are excerpting from the upcoming issue. Generally speaking, as a result, they haven't been considered true first appearances by the collecting community. They are treated as advertisements. They can still have some value, like the Vertigo sampler that contains a preview for Preacher #1, but they aren't looked at as real first appearances because it's just a preview of the story, not a story in its own right.

For another example, check out Marvel Age #97. It has a unique Darkhawk cover, contains the first five pages from Darkhawk #1 and came out before Darkhawk #1, but is not considered Darkhawk's first appearance because it's just a advertising preview of upcoming material.

In this case, though, it seems like What's Next might have a unique story not contained in Rat Queens #1. Further, that 5 page story is an actual prologue to the story in #1 - if you read it, it basically leads into the events at the start of Rat Queens #1. So it both predates Rat Queens #1 in publishing terms as well as in story terms.

I would consider it their first appearance, assuming the story is not contained in some version of Rat Queens #1.

Whats a fair price for a boardie for the Staples variant?

I sold two to the US for $65 shipped each for NM raws and you can see my sales thread for 9.8s.

Ty (thumbs u buy much at NFCC?

Found four Strain #1s and two Booster Gold #1s for a buck each.

BTW its rude not coming up to me at shows that you know I'm at lol

Haha thats not too bad of a score. Was only there on Sunday helping out at a booth...clean up was a mess.

Hammertown will have to stop by and see Randy and I.

All I can say is I've just loved this story so much from the start, that I was just picking up #1's when I saw them for cover. I don't have a hoard, just a few socked away.

I have had bad luck getting a lot of the issues that I initially missed after ordering #1 from online sources with printing type rumples abound. Just one of those series for me I guess. I am not surprised that something got announced in another medium as the book has a great appeal to a wide fan base.

Great read IMO