• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

He could be an adopted brother of Sue Storm.

That isn't really the Fantastic Four then is it?

As long as Sue Storm is the right height this movie will rock.

:baiting:

...by casting a black Human Torch.

Honestly, just let the rights go back to Marvel...PLEASE.

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

not-sure-if-racist-or-joking.jpg[/url]

Why does it have to be either / or? I was against MCD playing the Kingpin and I'm againt Jamie Foxx playing Electro...just like I would be against it if Bruce Willis had been cast as Shaft.

Because skin color is such a trivial difference. If you insist on skin color matching then you should insist on hair, eye color, height, width and shoe size. What really matters is acting ability, plot and the ability for those two things to come together.

But if the human torch being black ruins it for you, that is fine. But it is still a negative distinction based on race. And hence racist.

So I'm a racist because I prefer fidelity to the characters that have existed for 50 years?

Wow

But your Fedelity is selective. Do you insist on other trivial attributes like height being adhered to?

I feel like we have had this discussion before. These heroes are fictional characters. As someone just mentioned if a good actor, regardless of color, can bring our heroes to life in a way that works why wouldn't we be happy?

Because we are comic geeks who like to argue a hypothesis. :juggle:

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Why does it have to be either / or? I was against MCD playing the Kingpin and I'm againt Jamie Foxx playing Electro...just like I would be against it if Bruce Willis had been cast as Shaft.

Because skin color is such a trivial difference. If you insist on skin color matching then you should insist on hair, eye color, height, width and shoe size. What really matters is acting ability, plot and the ability for those two things to come together.

But if the human torch being black ruins it for you, that is fine. But it is still a negative distinction based on race. And hence racist.

So I'm a racist because I prefer fidelity to the characters that have existed for 50 years?

Wow

But your Fedelity is selective. Do you insist on other trivial attributes like height being adhered to?

Oh boy! Don't get him started on height.

:fear:

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Wow

Oh boy! Don't get him started on height.

:fear:

lol

Because Fedelity is fine. But it has to be uniform. When you insist on fidelity only to race then it isnt fidelity. It is racism.

I'm okay with an Oriental Spider-Man, an African-American Captain America, an Indian Hulk or an Arab Iron Man. As long as the movies deliver, and do all they can to make the stories follow something of the original material, then the right decisions have been made.

Remember, we're talking about fictional characters created during a time when the medium had little to no diversity.

It's one thing to be unsure if such a change will work, (believe that drastic changes can ruin a comic film, see references to the Galactus cloud). I imagine any fan would be weary of changes to long standing characters.

Did you see Wolverine's hair in the new trailer? Nothing like the comic (tsk)

And no, casting Will Smith didn't make a difference since that movie would have been a steaming pile with an all purple cast

I'm okay with an Oriental Spider-Man, an African-American Captain America, an Indian Hulk or an Arab Iron Man. As long as the movies deliver, and do all they can to make the stories follow something of the original material, then the right decisions have been made.

This is the point I was trying to make. Everything you just suggested is NOT "following something of the original material." Why even have the movies based on a property if you're going to deviate from it?

The Avengers was beyond reproach and perfect because it stayed pretty much spot on to the comics.

Racism? Please, people. Give me a break.

Peace,

Chip

Alicia was played by an African-American and no one said a thing (I think). No one complained that she wasn't really blind either.

I'm still surprised that Lt. Dan had legs in real life. (He wasn't that famous prior to the Forrest Gump movie...)

If Johnny and his sister are both African-American, it shouldn't be a problem in my mind.

If they meet up with the InHumans, that'd be a multi-racial cast as well.

Serious question. Would it have been ridiculous if Tom Cruise had been cast as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? Of course it would, because Bruce was Chinese.

And no, it doesn't matter that one is based on fact ( Dragon was about as factual as a Saturday morning cartoon ).

Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, California and his parents were from Hong Kong, so he's Cantonese. He speaks Cantonese and not Mandarin.

Jason Scott Lee (no relation) who played him in the movie Dragon is of Chinese-Hawaiian descent which is close enough I guess. He was born in LA.

Now, David Carradine is another matter...

This is the point I was trying to make. Everything you just suggested is NOT "following something of the original material." Why even have the movies based on a property if you're going to deviate from it?

The Avengers was beyond reproach and perfect because it stayed pretty much spot on to the comics.

Racism? Please, people. Give me a break.

Peace,

Chip

So race is the deal breaker if everything else relates to the original material? I think you have blinders on, and may be missing the point. Someone may have the ability to deliver these characters better than any other actor out there, yet not be caucasian. Why let that get in the way if a winning movie can come from the change?

(shrug)

And I am not assuming just because you are against the race change you are a racist. It just may be a stance that limits a studio's ability to deliver.

And as far as the Human Torch being played by a black actor is concerned I seriously doubt its because the studios want to be PC. Ill bet anything its to appeal to a broader audience and make more money. Thats how they think. Its why Wolverine is a PG movie and not rated R

Alicia was played by an African-American and no one said a thing (I think). No one complained that she wasn't really blind either.

I'm still surprised that Lt. Dan had legs in real life. (He wasn't that famous prior to the Forrest Gump movie...)

If Johnny and his sister are both African-American, it shouldn't be a problem in my mind.

If they meet up with the InHumans, that'd be a multi-racial cast as well.

Serious question. Would it have been ridiculous if Tom Cruise had been cast as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? Of course it would, because Bruce was Chinese.

And no, it doesn't matter that one is based on fact ( Dragon was about as factual as a Saturday morning cartoon ).

Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, California and his parents were from Hong Kong, so he's Cantonese. He speaks Cantonese and not Mandarin.

Jason Scott Lee (no relation) who played him in the movie Dragon is of Chinese-Hawaiian descent which is close enough I guess. He was born in LA.

Now, David Carradine is another matter...

Dragon is one of my favorite all-time movies.

As far as a black human torch. Actually he sounds like the perfect character to change. I'm all for it as long as they can do it right for once.

Speaking of "minority" characters. There really are not that many at all.

Black Panther, Luke Cage, Cloak, the falcon are about all I can think of, and they are all black. I can't even think of any other ethnicities besides white.

Sounds like a Village People reboot. hm

:roflmao::signfunny:

:roflmao::signfunny:

spiderman-dancing.gif

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Wow

I think so. I could be wrong.

In this case - you are.

I have no issue with the OP being disappointed that Torchy is going to be played by a Black actor.

Honestly, the criticism here is the change to a 50 yr old story for the sake of it, especially as his sibling is also in the story and by default will have to be played by a black actress.

I'd be just as pizzed if they cast aJapanese actor.

The Fantastic Four are an all-white group - nothing racist here - thats the story.

To change it for changes sake, smacks of desperation to grab some hype, even at this early stage.

I'd be just as pizzed if Luke Cage was played by Cochran from 'Survivor' - theres nothing racist here - move along, nothing to see, and please, put the pitchforks back where you found them.

If in the end we are all posting on here "WOW THAT MOVIE ROCKED", I'm all for it. To be close-minded and assume everything must be 1950s-1960s caucasian would be a shame.

Especially if there are actors that can really make these roles stand out.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Wow

I think so. I could be wrong.

You're wrong. I don't have anyone on ignore, but I will be ignoring you from now on.

If in the end we are all posting on here "WOW THAT MOVIE ROCKED", I'm all for it. To be close-minded and assume everything must be 1950s-1960s caucasian would be a shame.

Especially if there are actors that can really make these roles stand out.

fat-spiderman-dancing.gif