• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Ian

251 posts in this topic

Ian, I was wondering which of the promotional comics you have never actually seen?

I have never seen or heard of anyone having the following:

THE AQUATEERS MEET THE SUPER FRIENDS

Have you or anybody else ever seen any of these?

Don't know if there was a regular series of these but I have some production art (coloured pages) titled aquateers meet the super friends. I don't have them in front of me right now but if I remember rightly they are in digest form rather than the normal comic format. Not sure that that helps anyone............

I seem to recall the COMICS SEAL comic being listed in an auction many years ago ('80's). Of course that doesn't help you find one, but I think it does exist.

Oh I'm certain it exists. It's just phenomenally rare - probably as rare as Supergear.

THE AQUATEERS MEET THE SUPER FRIENDS

Don't know if there was a regular series of these but I have some production art (coloured pages) titled aquateers meet the super friends. I don't have them in front of me right now but if I remember rightly they are in digest form rather than the normal comic format. Not sure that that helps anyone............

I already knew it was smaller than a regular comic. I can't remember how I knew, but I did once see proof of its existence. Plus Paul Levitz confirmed it, and said it was given away with childrens swim gear like flippers and snorkels.

Wow. I've been reading through this thread, and, like so many of you, am absolutely floored by the ambitious nature of Ian Levine's project. To Ian: have you given any thought (I'm sure you must) to how you'll go about preserving your collection for posterity, future generations, etc? What happens to your collection 100 yrs from now? Is it something that you see staying in your family, or maybe being donated to a university library/special collections/archive? ("It belongs in a museum!") Just curious, as it seems to me a tragic prospect to build such a totally unique collection and then have some greedy bugger of a great-grandchild sell it off piecemeal to heritage or something.

As someone else expressed here --I'm forgetting who just now--damn am I in over my head! juggle.gif

Ian, also meant to ask...

You'd mentioned that the opinions on the "completeness" of a DC run differs somewhat due to varying degrees of research. Where exactly do you go for clues as to where to dig for these more esoteric titles? Old records somewhere? Library journals/other scholarly work? Word of mouth must play a part into it, too. Still, are there reliable printed sources that you've discovered that contain lists of such material? Just curious, as I'm a researcher by profession...

Ian,

Sometime soon I will be working on a revision of the promo comics section of my complete list. If possible I'd like your help in compiling a list of corrections/additions to the list.

Oh, BTW - the Remco Warlord Giveaway does exist. I have 3 copies still sealed with my Warlord action figures.

DCIndexer

Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics

http://www.dcindexes.com

Ian,

Sometime soon I will be working on a revision of the promo comics section of my complete list. If possible I'd like your help in compiling a list of corrections/additions to the list.

Oh, BTW - the Remco Warlord Giveaway does exist. I have 3 copies still sealed with my Warlord action figures.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

I adore your website.

-- Joanna

Ian,

Mike McVoiles.

I think it's awesome that you've joined this site. Between you and Earl Davis and myself, no-one should be able to surpass our combined DC knowledge.

Would you trade one for a Golden Age that you don't have ???

Everyone else said that none of the Warlord action figures came with the mini-comic. That it was advertised but then never got printed. Even Paul Levitz said this.

Ian,

I would be glad to. I am still compiling the full list. There are LOADS that you've never heard of. For instance

THE DIRT-MINATOR

STROEHMANS BREAD SUPER HEROES GIVEAWAY

THE 1981 SET OF NINE GENERAL FOODS MINI-COMICS

JLA CON EDISON

11 DIFFERENT COVERS TO THE BATMAN/BUGS BUNNY SIX FLAGS GIVEAWAY

JLA HOT WHEELS

1940s SUPERMAN CONOCO GIVEAWAY

1070s DC BOOKLET ADVERTISING PROMO COMICS

DOLLAR COMICS booklet

THREE LIONEL PLAYWORLD COMICS

etc

etc

etc

Ian, also meant to ask...

You'd mentioned that the opinions on the "completeness" of a DC run differs somewhat due to varying degrees of research. Where exactly do you go for clues as to where to dig for these more esoteric titles? Old records somewhere? Library journals/other scholarly work? Word of mouth must play a part into it, too. Still, are there reliable printed sources that you've discovered that contain lists of such material? Just curious, as I'm a researcher by profession...

I know of every DC ever issued.

Anything I might not know about could only be an obscure promo, preview, or custom comic. They do keep surfacing, and we can never know it ALL, but certainly, between us, we know every comic ever actually sold by DC

Ian,

Mike McVoiles.

I think it's awesome that you've joined this site. Between you and Earl Davis and myself, no-one should be able to surpass our combined DC knowledge.

You sound just like a super villain from the golden age or silver age when you say it like that. Bravo!

893applaud-thumb.gif

...Mike,..can't say enuff how much I enjoy ,or how many hours I've blown away on your web-site,...I hope you plan to stick around here for a while.... 893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

...Mike,..can't say enuff how much I enjoy ,or how many hours I've blown away on your web-site,...I hope you plan to stick around here for a while....

I hope he comes back and reads all the praise people have heaped upon him.

So far he's made just the one posting.

DCIndexer

Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics

I wonder if he's been back since his one single posting ????