• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Ian

251 posts in this topic

i think it has something with "saving" the comic in question, ever hear of people who restore classic cars back to their original form...not worth as much as a 100% original "numbers-matching" car but better than letting most of those old cars rot away to nothing. im kinda sad some people hate restoration so much- as long as its noted as such i see no problems....i'll bet 100 years from now people will be thankful that some marginal copies were saved from the scrap heap.

So it starts to seem like only a matter of degree between a restored book and a counterfeit book.

well, it starts to seem like, why not just buy or produce a reprint?

Because they're still the original comics. If a piece was missing, or torn off, or damaged, it seems a wonderful blessing to be able to restore the comic to the way it originally looked when it was printed. A counterfeit can never look exactly like the old paper. I think it's a wonderful way of owning the real comic but having it look far more appealing to the eye than if it had a disgusting great chunk out of the cover. I have restored every comic I own that had a piece out of the cover, and I'm glad I did. Some came out more professional than others, and if I'm not happy then I upgrade to a better copy. I just want all my comics to look nice, and now both my Action 1 and Detective 27 are restored VFs, and I will never need to replace them for life.

I doubt he has too many. The New Adventure 27 for example (my most recent acquisition), at an unrestored VF plus, is the highest grade known copy in the world.

Actually the Mile High copy of New Adventure Comics #27 is better. I believe it is a 9.4 or 9.6!

West

Slabbing is very important to me as I have been burned way too many times on books sold as unrestored but they turned out to have restoration. With that said, I love restored books and seek them out if the price is right. I own moderate to extensively restored high grade copies of All-American #16, All-Star #8 and Green Lantern #1 because they are aesthetically appealing to me. As long as I know what was done to the book, I am satisfied to hold them in my collection. I for one, would never own that Action #1 as a CGC 2.5. I would choose a restored copy at a significant discount any time. Since I do not sell books, I keep my copies slabbed for protective purposes. I also believe it is important to keep the census and pedigree identification as accurate as possible, so I do hope the labels are not destroyed.

By the way Ian, I am very impressed with your collection. It must have taken a lot of time and perseverance.

893applaud-thumb.gif

By the way Ian, I am very impressed with your collection. It must have taken a lot of time and perseverance.

Thankyou.

It did.

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days but I have two Samoyed dogs who, after years of trying, I finally got them both pregnant, and then one sneaked downstairs into the others box and killed four of her six puppies. Consequently, I haven't been able to eat or sleep for two days.

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days but I have two Samoyed dogs who, after years of trying, I finally got them both pregnant.

Um, Ian, you may want to think about rewording that statement before too many people get the wrong idea. smile.gif

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days but I have two Samoyed dogs who, after years of trying, I finally got them both pregnant, and then one sneaked downstairs into the others box and killed four of her six puppies. Consequently, I haven't been able to eat or sleep for two days.

That sucks Ian. Sorry to hear it. frown.gif

Um, Ian, you may want to think about rewording that statement before too many people get the wrong idea.

Please forgive me if, after seeing four little innocent helpless two day old puppies bitten right through, I somehow can't seem to find my sense of humour

That's a terrible thing Ian, sorry to hear that. Didn't the stud owner (breeder or whatever) warn you about that sort of behavior beforehand? Lucky that two were spared.

I knew to keep them apart because it could stress the mother if the other [!@#%^&^] came near her puppies, but I never dreamed a three year old who had been docile and gentle could turn like that and kill the other six year old's newborn pups. It's truly the most horrible thing I have ever witnessed. I didn't see it happen but I saw the aftermath.

Just remember it's instinctual behavior. I hope you didn't harm the younger [!@#%^&^] for her transgression.

It may be instinctual, but try telling that to the devastated older mother who can't sleep and guards over her two remaining pups wild-eyed and fearful, unable to rest.

Oh, that's awful, Ian. I'm so sorry to hear that.

-- Joanna

Thanks. Deathlok just sent me a private message full of millions of little laughing icons.

Send the PM to the moderators, and tell them he constantly trolls you. Maybe after they warn him, he will find somebody else to harass and leave you alone. This guy is obviously demented.