• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

Love it. thumbsup2.gif

There's nothing like those stories. Of course in today's comics that Rat Island story would have taken 6 issues, had 1 recalled "obscenity" version, 2 variant sketch covers by Michael Turner, and been collected into a TPB 3 months after the last issue (which arrived 4 months later than scheduled) hit the stands.

Anybody go to the National show in NYC? I went and ended up buying a few books that I had on hold with a couple dealers. I didn't find anything else that I was interested in. I'm wary of spending big money on raw books with dealers that I don't know well. One dealer had a nice box of pre-code books and if I didn't already have books picked out with other dealers, I might have been interested. However, I could see that at least one book had color touch that wasn't marked on the label. I prefer to buy from dealers who know what restoration looks like.

Well, the BCM 50 came and went with no takers. That seller didn't seem to have the greatest track record for comics...most of his items in the past went for 30 bucks and under...how's this guy all of a sudden come up with a comic for over 2k?

Maybe the book would've sold if it had been offerred by somebody with a track record?

I bought a book at the National show that I wasn't so sure I'd be able to find since I have never seen one for sale, either at a show or online. Horrific #2, from my perspective, is at least as hard to find as #1 and #3 (bullet in head cover), but quite possibly even rarer. This copy is a VG- at best, but I had to get it since it's the first I've seen. The interior is by the Iger studio (I believe that only #1 and #2 were... #3 on were done by another group of artists. Did Don Heck have his own studio?)

651245-IMGP2101.JPG

651245-IMGP2101.JPG.2101d3ed0f94d6b78be6640b6a2567dd.JPG

Edited by paull

Whoever the artist was who did this story is really terrific. The same artist, I believe, did the cover to Haunted Thrills #8 and I believe did used the panel on the lower right as the cover to another Farrell issue that escapes me now... perhaps Strange Fantasy or Voodoo?

651255-IMGP2106.JPG

651255-IMGP2106.JPG.c56f50450053773f3066eadf3482e31b.JPG

Edited by paull

Speaking of pre-codes - anyone noticed how weak some final prices appear to be on ebay as of late?

Just today a couple of decent books ended under $50 each - a Ghost #2 (not so surprising, it was fairly worn) and (really surprised me) a very solid F Mister Mystery #8, which is a great cover.

Atlas' still seem to be attracting strong bids but Story titles such as Mysterious Adventures and Dark Mysteries are fetching a fraction of what they once commanded. The killer covers for Fight Against Crime are great but the lesser covers (which are several) are only appealing for someone trying to complete a run.

Super grade books might still fetch the big $$$, but perhaps not if they start out too strongly - a la the BCM #50 9.4 recently.

Thoughts???

This is my take on the pre-code market...

Ultra high-grade non-keys sell at guide or up to 2x guide. (In comparison, SA Marvel ultra high-grade books sell for many multiples of guide)

Any non-keys between 5.0 and 8.0 usually sell for guide or a bit less.

Low-grade (roughly VG and less) non-keys sell far below guide on eBay, dealers ask for guide and don't get it. The guide is at the inflated late 90s level and never adjusted for the dying horror market.

High-grade and low-grade keys and classic covers (MM #12, Fight Against Crime #9, WM #12, Horrific #3, BCM #50, Witches Tales #25, etc.) sell for multiples of guide, regardless of condition. Ultra high-grade could be 5x - 10x guide.

Edited by paull

Have to agree with Paull's assement of the pre-code market. The only possible exceptions I see would be something like a Gaines file horror book slabbed at 9.8 or something. That's going to see much higher multiples than 2x guide, though the ebay price won't come near the price at a heritage sale.

I think about 6 months ago a Vault of Horror 9.8 sold for slightly over $2200 on ebay. That would have probably gone over the 3k mark at heritage, IMO.